Silverstone TJ-09 - Best Config for Three Optional Fans?

WolfpupNX

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Getting a Silverstone TJ-09 soon, and it comes with two fans built in. Because I like good cooling, I plan to install the three additional optional fans. There are two slots at the top of the case for them, and then one between the hard drive cages.

Is there a best configuration for cooling? IE...should both fans at the top be exhaust, or maybe one intake and one exhaust? How should the hard drive cage fan face?

Any opinions welcome, but especially anyone who has experience with this case. Thanks!

The top two should be exhaust. As for the hard drive one in kinda depends on how your hard drives are set up. If you can fit them all in one caddy then I would have the fan set so its pulling air through the empty one and blowing on the one with drives in it.

The top two should be exhaust. As for the hard drive one in kinda depends on how your hard drives are set up. If you can fit them all in one caddy then I would have the fan set so its pulling air through the empty one and blowing on the one with drives in it.

i have this exact same setup. the mid section fan and the rear fan are both intakes. seems to work best for me.

I would make absolutely no assumptions and recommend testing all possibilities.

I used to have the top two fans set up as exhausts, which worked okay when I had a tower-style cooler blowing upwards. When I changed to a TR SI-128SE, I was getting less than optimal temperatures, so among the fixes I tried was flipping the top fans and setting them up as intake fans.

Going against the grain of conventional wisdom resulted in a 6 degree C drop in my case. ;-)

Hope this helps!

I'm not done testing but changing the front top to intake seems to have dropped my CPU temp 1 or 2 degrees, which isn't surprising as it's sucking cool air right in front of the HS fan. If you're going to use the top two as exhaust I'd use the rear as an intake. From my experience having too many exhausts and not enough intakes = bad, which again isn't particularly surprising.

Back