Silverstone TJ09!

The mesh isn't extremely restrictive imho. I had a couple of undervolted yate loons acting as exhaust and could feel quite a bit of airflow. I would try your fans first and then replace them if you see temperatures rising beyond what you desire. The top fans just snap in so they're extremely easy to replace. The fan that blows on the GPU requires a bit more to replace (removing some awkward screws) but, overall, I never thought the mesh was a problem. But... if you're used to unrestricted fan flow, you may see some difference... very subjective.

thanks a bunch for the reply, I appreciate it. I suppose you are right, I will wait and see how my current fans hold up as it may not be as bad as I am predicting and I can save the money on the S-Flex which are actually rather pricey I feel. I heard about the GPU fan being a hassle to replace. BTW, is it the exact same fan for both the GPU/rear exhaust as in pics on the net the rear exhaust seems to have a 3 pin connector where as the gpu fan has a 4 pin molex. If they are the same rated noise/cfm I think I will put the rear exhaust where the gpu fan goes so I can hook it directly to my fan controller without using an extension/adapter.

Do you find the gpu fan to be powerful enough to bring cool air in through the slots on the side to blow over the video card or would a more powerful fan be recommended for even better performance. I have no clue what the rated cfm/noise is at 12v for the fan do you know by any chance? I may replace if I can find a more powerful at lower noise, perhaps yet another S-Flex or is the stock Silverstone more powerful?

Thanks again.

progress on my TJ09 build... I still need to clean up some wiring, but got the new mobo in finally.. (Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6)... I'm going to get a new cpu and a Coolit Freezone very soon also..
TJ09-1.jpg

I heard about the GPU fan being a hassle to replace.

It is a matter of taking a small screwdriver and getting the screws out... harder to put back in but not impossible. Would be easier with a magnetic screwdriver but I don't own one that small.

BTW, is it the exact same fan for both the GPU/rear exhaust as in pics on the net the rear exhaust seems to have a 3 pin connector where as the gpu fan has a 4 pin molex.

Same fan. The rear one only has a 3 pin if I remember correctly.

Do you find the gpu fan to be powerful enough to bring cool air in through the slots on the side to blow over the video card or would a more powerful fan be recommended for even better performance. I have no clue what the rated cfm/noise is at 12v for the fan do you know by any chance? I may replace if I can find a more powerful at lower noise, perhaps yet another S-Flex or is the stock Silverstone more powerful?

It all depends. The stock Silverstone fan pushes around 60'ish CFM I believe. Can't remember the db rating (can you trust those anyway??? definately louder than my Yate Loons). My 8800GTS idles around 50-53 with loads of 67-70 and that is with a Yate Loon in the GPU fan slot. My CPU is watercooled. I built my comp around the fact I wanted a 'quiet' computer. Certainly you could put more powerful fans in but I just can't deal with the noise. All of my fans are on fan controllers, total of six - so I can turn them down when I'm not doing something GPU intensive.

thanks for the detailed response.

I figured the rear was the only with a 3 pin. I will definitely be swapping the gpu fan for something else.

I hope to order a new psu, case, can controller and dvd burner this coming Monday. Just waiting for the Silverstone DA750 to become in stock so I can order all at once. I will keep all my same drives, hard drives etc until Barcelona comes out in which I will then get new vid card, ram, mobo and cpu.

wow is right. The setup looks totally buck wild. Nice and shiny and loaded with goodies. yummy indeed!

hehe.. thanks. yeah, it's full alright.. I was surprized how well I filled out the inside of that case... it's freakin heavy now also. lol.

I'm going to try and mount the Freezone in one of the top 120mm fan spots above the cpu.. I don't think that's been done before.. so it should be pretty unique.. my thought was to not cover the PWM sink on the mobo too much.. because it's going to get warm I am sure.. I wanted to keep some good ventilation near it..

hehe.. thanks. yeah, it's full alright.. I was surprized how well I filled out the inside of that case... it's freakin heavy now also. lol.

I'm going to try and mount the Freezone in one of the top 120mm fan spots above the cpu.. I don't think that's been done before.. so it should be pretty unique.. my thought was to not cover the PWM sink on the mobo too much.. because it's going to get warm I am sure.. I wanted to keep some good ventilation near it..

Thats a great wiring job for the case. I know its a pain to hide and clean up wires due to the openess of the case. I am curious to know what is the lcd screen that you have mounted ? I went ahead and did my wiring like yours last night ( wrapping the exposed wires with black electrical tape). It came out pretty smooth. As soon as you get the Freezone mounted post some pics plz, i'm a coolit fan and some good user pics are hard to come by. I dont know if your aware but coolit systems is going to be releasing a 12 peltier cooler this year (Q2 maybe), thats what im personally waiting for.

Also, I noticed that you changed the fan that is used for the gpu cooling. How hard was it to take that cover off ?

Does the mesh come with any washable fan filters? If it didn't then that case would be an absolute dust magnet.... Ever since I got my 8800GTS, I've been eyeing that case to replace my current TJ06.

Thats a great wiring job for the case. I know its a pain to hide and clean up wires due to the openess of the case. I am curious to know what is the lcd screen that you have mounted ? I went ahead and did my wiring like yours last night ( wrapping the exposed wires with black electrical tape). It came out pretty smooth. As soon as you get the Freezone mounted post some pics plz, i'm a coolit fan and some good user pics are hard to come by. I dont know if your aware but coolit systems is going to be releasing a 12 peltier cooler this year (Q2 maybe), thats what im personally waiting for.

Also, I noticed that you changed the fan that is used for the gpu cooling. How hard was it to take that cover off ?

Hi - nice.. yeah, I like the electrical tape method for non-sleaved psu wires... I need to find some "matte" style (non-shiny) for my next layer... not sure if that exists or not. edit: http://www.sticktape.com/faq.html :cool:

The gpu fan was kind of a pain to get out, but not ~too~ bad.. you really just need a long phillips bit or screw-driver with a long "shaft" so you can get the teh screws which are sunken way back into the metal housing.. I didn't have an appropriate tool at the time, so had to use a jewelers screw driver with channel locks to get some torque on it.. anyways.. once you get the 4 burried screws out, it's pretty easy to replace the fan.. I wanted something more powerful in that spot which I could keep on my rhobus controller and crank it up when I want to. I'm considering removing the mesh on that gpu fan in favor of a standard fan grille. but even with the mesh I get good air movement there, so it's not been a huge priority..

Oh, really? hrm.. well, maybe I have my heart set on this one.. I reckon I can always sell it if I want to upgrade to the new 12 TEC model later.. this will give me some time to fool around with the install also.. I think it'll be slick to have to mounted on one of the top 120mm holes. :)

Hi, I noticed some of you guys with TJ-09’s have WD Raptors, I was just wondering how noisy you found them to be in this case considering the HD enclosure is vented/meshed on both sides? I have a TJ-09 myself but I’m currently running 2 Seagate 7200.10’s which are barely audible. However I am upgrading my ram in the next few days and looking to eventually install my copy of Vista, I have a 74gig Raptor here lying around doing nothing (sacrilege) and was thinking of maybe using it as the boot drive. I have fitted several raptors (36 & 74GB) in various other cases and found the noise level varies from case to case, tending to be worse in large aluminium cases (like the TJ-09).
Also, just as a matter of interest: are the 150 GB Raptors quieter than the 74’s? I ask because I know from experience that the 74 is quieter than the 36. I’m talking about the later 16mb cache versions here.
Thanks in advance :)

on the fans up top issue, I have one going in and one going out.. to try and balance the air in and out of my case.. you should just play around with it and see what suits your build best..

on the raptors, mine are very quiet.. they are tge ADFD ones.. 16mb cache.. not sure if those are more quiet that the older ones.. I was a little worried about noise also but it's really not bad at all.. The Zalman 9700 is by far the loudest thing in my PC.

I'm currently putting together a water cooled system with the TJ09. I absolutely love the case. The quality of the machining and the features make my old Lian-Li look like scrap metal.

It looks like some people did some pretty creative stuff to get a dual 120mm radiator in there, but I took the simple route and just mounted it on one of the fan slots with some 2 1/2" L-brackets. I like the fan slots, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of removing them and then having to find screws long enough (but not too long!) to mount them to the radiator.

The rig's not done yet. I had trouble with the G1/4 fittings not fitting the radiator, so I'm waiting for replacements. I may also add a block for the chipset and/or 8800GTS before I fire everything up. But it's coming along.

IMG_1841.jpg

Could anyone give some insight as to ho to remove the 120mm fan that is used for gpu cooling? I trying to replace it with a scythe s flex but am drawing a complete blank as to how to start thanks.

you'll need a screw driver, phillips, with a long(ish) thin shaft on it to get the four screws which are burried inside the silver metal housing.. the holes for those are on the front of the housing at the four corners, where the metal goes at an angle, facing the open hole where the air comes out.. a magnitized driver is good for this, especially when putting the screws back in. ;) hope that helps.

What about getting the fan out of the housing? Or will the backside come off when unscrewed?

Once you remove the housing the two screws on the top and bottom will allow you to remove the mesh exposing the fan for easy removal. I've removed this housing a couple of times and it gets easier every time.

OMFG. All of these pics do NOT give the Silverstone TJ09

Just recieved mine for my new build, and damn this case is an absolute beauty.

I just ordered mine with a DA750 psu. Should be here early next week I hope. Got a new dvd burner and Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller too. Hopefully this case will be to my liking with my other guts in sig going into it.

Anyone know the best place to snag one of these? I'm goin after the black TJ09 with the window. :)

OMFG. All of these pics do NOT give the Silverstone TJ09

Just recieved mine for my new build, and damn this case is an absolute beauty.

pics rarely do these cases justice.. they do look better in the flesh always.. imo

Anyone know the best place to snag one of these? I'm goin after the black TJ09 with the window. :)

I bought mine at case-mod for $259 and then a small %discount for new customers, so maybe $245. Go through Froogle for $10 discount. It came just fine with no troubles. I usually go Newegg, but they were $300+ at the time, and I couldn't envision a serious RMA situation with it (not like a mobo or a gpu). I think Deadeye data had them for about the same price, I would have bought mine there, but there are in texas and so am I so I didn't want to have to pay tax. They have a great reseller rating and the guys at Jonnyguru love them. you might try "jonnyguru" in the coupon code part, works for power supplies, might work for the case.

I bought mine at case-mod for $259 and then a small %discount for new customers, so maybe $245. Go through Froogle for $10 discount. It came just fine with no troubles. I usually go Newegg, but they were $300+ at the time, and I couldn't envision a serious RMA situation with it (not like a mobo or a gpu). I think Deadeye data had them for about the same price, I would have bought mine there, but there are in texas and so am I so I didn't want to have to pay tax. They have a great reseller rating and the guys at Jonnyguru love them. you might try "jonnyguru" in the coupon code part, works for power supplies, might work for the case.

Yeah they're still at 300 bucks on the egg. Thanks for the heads up on those other sites!

Got my TJ09 last Tuesday and spent hours building it up today. Now I find that none of the front ports are working. I've checked everything out and the only thing it can be is faulty case ports.
Anyone else suffered this. Guess I'll just have to RMA it :(

Doogie, please don't take this wrong, but are you sure you hooked up the wires in the case from the panel to the proper place on your motherboard (it's an odd thing to fail, because it's not much more than a socket and a wire)? You might make sure it's not your motherboard first. I personally didn't use mine, because my sound card front panel had USB, firewire, headphone and mic ports so I didn't hook up the ones from the case.

-Scotty

Thanks for the reply $cooter. Yes I double checked that it was connected to the correct port on the motherboard. To make certain it was a problem with the case I connected a spare USB backplate I had to the same port on the motherboard and that worked ok. Just wondering whether I'd be able to get a replacement pop up unit rather than return the whole case.

Update
Scan Computers reckon there is a problem and have issued me an RMA ticket. They will collect the case tomorrow and send a replacement within a week.

Hi guys, finally received my Black TJ09 with window yesterday. I have not installed my system into it yet as I am extremely busy working overtime this week. I slide the care CAREFULLY out of the box to have a gander and wow! It is much nice and bigger than I thought!

One thing I noticed that bothers me however and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their case brand new. The side windows seems to bulging out and seperating slightly from the side of the case. Nothing major but it is noticeable when looking at the case from a side view. If I push on the side of the case the window pops in and is flush with the case but then it immediately pops back out and bulges slightly away from the side panel in the center of the window. Again there is nothing installed in the case so will installing my gear and having everything tightened tighten up the side panel so the window is flush or do I have a bum side panel? I know I am nitpicking but for $300 I wanted perfect. I have heard of no mention of this happening with other users so am wondering if a user out there noticed their side panel doing this. Thanks.

The side windows seems to bulging out and seperating slightly from the side of the case. Nothing major but it is noticeable when looking at the case from a side view. If I push on the side of the case the window pops in and is flush with the case but then it immediately pops back out and bulges slightly away from the side panel in the center of the window. Again there is nothing installed in the case so will installing my gear and having everything tightened tighten up the side panel so the window is flush or do I have a bum side panel? I know I am nitpicking but for $300 I wanted perfect. I have heard of no mention of this happening with other users so am wondering if a user out there noticed their side panel doing this. Thanks.

Yeah one of my panels was like this... seemed to bulge in the center a bit. I, VERY CAREFULLY ;), held the ends and flexed it until it bowed a tad in the opposite direction and it fits pretty flush now. Be careful thought, it bends very easily. I don't think there is anything wrong with the panels, just the inherent nature of thin aluminum.

Cantank,

I did not expereince that. Mine is flush. Congrats on your new case. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

-Scotty

Let me show you all my TJ09. Get ready cause I'm sure you never saw such thing in your whole life :). I send it at

19th of December 2006 from Poland (Europe) to Cyprus (Europe). I received it today it's 21 March 2007. Here it is.

Hmmm I guess plane runover it. Well I don't wish anyone such thing to happen with his 400$ !!!

img1665rv6.jpg

img1668hz4.jpg

img1672yh2.jpg

img1673yl7.jpg

img1674tj2.jpg

img1687vc3.jpg

img1678yh6.jpg

img1679oa8.jpg

img1681vb6.jpg

img1683kt8.jpg

img1701jo0.jpg

img1689wj3.jpg

img1694kn9.jpg

img1695ih5.jpg

img1697sj4.jpg

img1709bn1.jpg

img1702qo6.jpg

img1703dx8.jpg

img1705cq9.jpg

img1707bz2.jpg

OMG dude, I couldn't even look at the pictures!! Poor TJ09, I think I felt a tear run down my cheek...:eek: If you send those pictures to Silverstone, they'd probably cry themselves and send you a new one along with a TJ07 just to make you feel better. :D

I would realy just like to know what the hell happend!!! Somone smashed it between airplane doors or something?

sweet merciful crap! it does look like something heavy ran over it.. or crushed with a backhoe or pallet-lifter? ...wow. sorry to see that!

Back