Simple (cheap) NAS -- Fast

h41cyon

Weaksauce
I'm looking for a NAS solution that will support 2 drives and just serves files.

I currently have one home PC and one media PC (Intel NUC) on my home network. I use the NUC as an HTPC, so I don't really need anything that does trans-coding.

All I want is just a common place to store my files that I can share between both my main PC and my HTPC.

I was looking around and it seems like every 'off the shelf' option out there provides way more services than I need. The Synology looked decent, but I don't need like 95% of what it does. I just need a fast cheap NAS.

What would be ideal is something like the Synology DS213J, but without all of the media services. Maybe just a simple interface for partitioning, but then all it does is just serve files. I could probably get away with a lot cheaper hardware. I have yet to find a product that does what I'm describing.

You guys have any suggestions?

Last edited:
I also own a Zyxel NSA310 and it also got cruddy reviews. For me, it has been flawless and 100% reliable. I've owned it for over a year now and it runs 24/7. I use it to store incoming pics from my ip security cams so it's never sitting doing nothing. The one flaw it has is that it will not restart after a power failure. But power failures are rare around here so it's no biggie. As for speed, it's as fast as any NAS I've ever see.

In my experience, reviews are just as likely to be wrong and/or irrelevant as they are to be right. Yous pays yo nickle and yous takes yo chance.

I haven't gotten it yet but the customer reviews over at the Egg are pretty good, except for one that made no sense to me.

Good luck.

Back