Simple question for Asus owners..

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Or specifically A8N-SLI and it's variants....what freaking key do I push to get into XP safemode? Also..what genius decided F8 should be a device boot menu :mad:

yeah I had the same problem with my a8n32. No matter when I'd press F8 I'd always get the boot device menu. I ended up just booting into xp normal, running msconfig, and enabling the /safeboot flag and then restarting.

Another way is to edit your c:\boot.ini file directly (make sure you unhide the system files) to force a boot menu. Something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /safeboot:minimal

Weird but easy solution. Hit F8 like normal and when you get to the boot device menu select the drive with XP. Next immediatly start hitting the F8 button, should get you into the right menu.

the F8 for boot menu is only during post. so just wait for post to go away and hit F8, no problems.

When the device boot menu appears, I just hit ESC and immediately start hitting F8 to get into the OS boot menu. I agree, Asus should have chosen a different function key for the device menu.

Back