Simple Question

ATLPIMP

[H]ard|Gawd
How would I go about wiring a 12V light to work with a pc power supply?

Assuming it is a polarity sensitive light, hook +ve to yellow and ground to black.
If the light isnt polarity sensitive, hook one terminal to yellow, the other to black.

What source... if that's the right word?
I have a 1000HX and the power cables are modular with black wires.

big 4 plug connector, same type you plug into IDE hard drives, plug it into that.

big 4 plug connector, same type you plug into IDE hard drives, plug it into that.

Right. But what wires (wires are not color coded) would I need to use? I can read the chart to figur wich wires give wich values, so wich values would I need? If that makes sense...

Right. But what wires (wires are not color coded) would I need to use? I can read the chart to figur wich wires give wich values, so wich values would I need? If that makes sense...

The two middle wires are common, then one side is +12volts and one side is +5volts.

so..
pin 1 = +12volts
pin 2 = common
pin 3 = common
pin 4 = +5 volts

the connector should have a notch that sticks on on the bottom of it, that notch falls right between pin 1 and pin 2.

so connect the +v terminal of the light to pin 1, and the other terminal to pin 2 or pin 3.

make sense?

If you are still unsure, find the pair that measure + or -12V with a multimeter.
If it reads +12V, the red cable is in 12V, black is in 0V/Ground and vise versa.

I'm wondering what kind of light this is...

And why is that most people like to post ambiguous questions? :) Things are so much easier when we know exactly what is trying to be done. I mean, I'm guessing this isn't an ordinary pc mod light, or it would already have a connector on it. Or maybe it is and the connector has been cut off, in which case knowing that and maybe providing a pic would allows us to more definitively say "you need to do this"... Now that would be a simple question ;)

I'm also guessing from the posts here that the OP doesn't have or know how to use a multimeter.

I'm also guessing from the posts here that the OP doesn't have or know how to use a multimeter.

Quite the contrary... I asked the question because I thought I'd get a quick simple response....

The lights will be in the form of 30 LED strips (~3 strips total). They require 12v.

http://www.cosmicleds.com/stingerz/

Through work, the led strips will cost me about $18 ea.

Back