Simple SFF cooling mod for Shuttle ICE

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Ever notice how the newer ICE systems from Shuttle have no heatsink structure at all on top of the CPU assembly? It's just a thin piece of metal with heatpipes going back to the radiator.
leftfe5.jpg

sn21g5icesmbu9.jpg
vs.
sk83gicexe2.jpg
&
iceoi7.jpg

The older systems (like the SN95G5) had larger, bulky CPU blocks with fins on them. This helps greatly in passive cooling and should alleviate some pressure on the thermal capacity of the heatpipes. I'm running an 3800+ X2 at 2.6GHz (stock is 2.0GHz) at 1.4V. Before I did this, my CPU temperatures at idle were roughly around 50° C and at load it would even goto 65°. Yikes! It also doesn't help that my ICE system only had 3 heatpipes versus the 4 heatpipes in other systems. Following this really easy mod, my CPU temps are down to 35° C idle and doesn't exceed 55° C at full load for hours.

Step 1: Find an old heatsink you have lying around. I had an old Zalman flower from the Athlon XP days.
zal1no4.jpg

Step 2: Stick it on your heatsink with some thermal compound. If you don't want to use thermal epoxy to get a firm attachment, find some way to keep it pressured and pushed down. Fortunately for me, the Flower is perfect because the copper fins act as a giant spring and compressing them against the drive cage (compress as you install the cage, don't bend before) keeps it very firmly against the CPU. I've carried this Shuttle in a backpack across the country and it's never slipped. I realize that the design of the fins makes it look like it might impede airflow but there are actually 4 vertical slots cut into all the fins. Unfortunately, I only had silicone grease with me at the time, I'll change this to silver later (but I'd have to rebend the fins up so it has spring tension again if I want to reuse it). It's also kept in place because I slotted cables through the center horizontally.

aaack9.jpg

bbbuu6.jpg

cccnj1.jpg

The idea is not that this heatsink needs to be particularily effective, but just gives you that extra passive heat capacity, absorption, and heat disipation so your cooling system doesn't have to work so hard and that not too much latent heat is left sitting on the CPU cooking it. You'd be better with a cut to fit heatsink with good directional fins and epoxy, but hey, this just a cheap fix with some junk I had around.

nice usage of old parts!

but it kind of freaks me out that its just held in place by friction :X

also you have to consider that the whole assembly + CPU is under more pressure with that pushing down on top of it. I'd be worried about a cracked CPU core when moving that thing around.

nice usage of old parts!

but it kind of freaks me out that its just held in place by friction :X

also you have to consider that the whole assembly + CPU is under more pressure with that pushing down on top of it. I'd be worried about a cracked CPU core when moving that thing around.

It's got a heatspreader, no need to worry about cracking the core.

Nice mod. Do you think you'd be able to fit a small fan in there to blow the hot air away?

The issue here is, you've jammed a big copper sink right up against your hard drive cage. There's already too much heat in these tiny cases, and airflow is horrible. Now there's even more, and it's being conducted at least partly in to your hard drive, which is already running hotter than it would in pretty much any other configuration.

In short, I wouldn't do it.

wow....i could image if your 8800gt has stock heat-sink that things get mighty toasty in that case.....alot of conductive metal touching makes me nervous....zap.....water it some how??

Back