Simple way to share keyboard between 2 computers (not used at the same time)

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
Is there a simple and cheap way to share a keyboard and mouse between 2 computer that are not on at the same time? Ie. some sort of usb hub with 2 inputs?

Or is there a way to solder such a device from usb hubs? I've got lots sitting around.

Both of these suggestions are terrible. The Multiplicity suggestion boggles. The OP said that his systems aren't going to be on at the same time. Besides, Synergy does the same thing for free.

OP, are.you sharing a monitor between systems? What is the role of each system? Are they physically near each other? Have you looked into KVMs or the possiblity of remoting into the less used system?

Edit from a device other than my phone:

This, this is what you are looking for -> https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+switch

Pick your vendor of choice, you should be able to find a decent one for about $20. A USB switch will allow you to do exactly what you asked about, share a mouse and keyboard over USB with two computers. If you wanted to share the monitor as well, search for a KVM instead.

Last edited:
get a usb extension cable and one unused usb cable, make a switch contraption?

Need input: Are both computers on all the time and have their own monitor? If yes than something like synergy would work.

You can get a USB switchbox, a KVM (more than you need if you don't switch monitors, but can be had cheaply), or a PS/2 switchbox if you can use a PS/2 adapter with your KB/mouse. If you get a non-KVM switchbox, make sure it switches the output (might be called "2 PC") rather than the input (which would be for people with too many USB devices and not enough USB ports). A KVM would probably be easiest, especially if you get a used PS/2 KVM and use PS/2 adapters for your KB/mouse (again - if they support such adapters). You can find PS/2 KVMs for pretty close to $0.

You can find any of those for $25 or less.

Synergy is also an option as previously mentioned if both computers will remain powered on.

Last edited:
This is what I use to switch my headset between my computer and PS4. Works great. I guess you would need two though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back