Sing praise for the Ratpadz XT!

WhyYouLoveMe

Supreme [H]ardness
I play games. I want to be good at whatever game I'm playing. I need a good mouse and a good mouse pad to do so.

I've got an MX518 and it's a good 'nuff mouse but after switching from my old Func 1030 to the Ratpadz XT it's like a FREAKY new mouse. :eek: This XT is absolutely incredible. It's slick, it's durable, it's sturdy, it's stable, it's comfortable and it's cool lookin'. I cannot sing enough praise about my new found joy in my PC gaming life.

EDIT: One small negative about this pad is it may be a bit too small for some. In all reality you can't make a mouse pad much bigger because it will consume too much desk space so I can overlook this tiny, tiny con.

Other XT owners in the [H]ouse? :D Sing!!

Is the Ratpadz XT a rough texture? If so I might have to try it. Right now I am using the rough side of the func 1030.

JustinSane said:
Is the Ratpadz XT a rough texture? If so I might have to try it. Right now I am using the rough side of the func 1030.

Yep it's got a rough texture. The mouse glides so incredibly easily over the surface it is really quite amazing. Read some of the reviews and they praise the glideyness. :D

eh i need more room than a ratpad. Also ALL hard surface mouse pads wear down over time. ALL of them. Except for icemat and other surface that arent some type of plastic.

I have an original Ratpad from many years ago and it did wear down a bit. Still a great pad for the money though.

I got a couple GSs free at quakecon a few years ago, but I never really got into them. They wore out to fast. I bought an aluminum bansheepad about 2 years ago, and it's still perfect.

I do now have a RatPadz at my testing station, and it's great. Definitely slick as greased silk. As long as you're talking about teflon grease, that is. Very nice surface. It improved the $8.99 microsoft optical mouse that I use on my evals dramatically.

I'm going to most def. upgrade from my GS to an XT once my paypal gets un-frozen (see genmay for more info)

I had the original/XT ratpad and then the GS but wasnt all that impressed.

The original/XT was very good, a thick piece of plastic that didnt bend and took ages to wear down, mine lasted around 12 months before the wearing down became noticeable.

The GS was the biggest piece of crap. They claimed it had all these 'improvements' which basically translated into them using 1/3rd the plastic, charging 1/3rd more for it and making a pad that bent out of shape and wore down ultra quick.

All i can suggest is that anyone wanting the best hard mouse pad is

GET AN ICEMAT

Ive had mine for 3 years and its as good as the day i got it, no wearing down at all. Its smoother than the ratpad, better made and never, ever wears down. It costs $15us more but youll never have to replace it, and it comes in like 10 colors. I'm all for supporting sponsors, but Ratpadz just pissed me off with the GS, it was the biggest load of money-grabbing bull. Anyone considering a Ratpad, just get an Icemat, you wont regret it.

Sometimes I wonder if this forum is laced with guerilla marketing. Enjoy your pad.

Well, I purchased one of the original rough texture Ratpadz, and I still use it. Recommended it and purchased 2 more for the family, but they got the finer texture padz, both of which have worn down ever so slightly, so I do know what others are talking about. However, my pad is still in mint condition (except the worn down painted logo.)

Then again, I use teflon tape on the bottom of my mice, and replace the tape every few months as it wears through. So, I see no reason why my pad will ever wear out. Been using it ever since they came out.

I did purchase one of those CS Hyde mats though, and it got damaged VERY quickly. Biggest waste of money in my opinion.

Converge said:
eh i need more room than a ratpad. Also ALL hard surface mouse pads wear down over time. ALL of them. Except for icemat and other surface that arent some type of plastic.

The new Ratpadz XT is a remake of our orginal Ratpadz, many of which are stiil being used for more than 5 years now. It you buy an XT and don't like, I will give you your money back.

Pipo said:
Sometimes I wonder if this forum is laced with guerilla marketing. Enjoy your pad.

Well it just happens that the owner of the forum owns Ratpadz as well....so there is a good deal of talk about them, :) If you buy an XT and don't like it, we will make sure you end up happy.

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
GET AN Ratpadz XT

The XT has fixed all the issues with the GS.

Fixed.

And the XT will not break in your lanbag. ;)

I ordered mine last Thursday, and when I got home from work last night it was sitting on my desk.... and...... wow... to quote Clark Griswald from Christmas Vacation..."This is the sleppriest surface known to man..."

I really like it, I'm definately impressed.

Pipo said:

I wouldn't call it guerilla . .

At least 3 seperate posts on the frontpage, and constantly dropping links to it wherever they can. I'd say they are being pretty blatant. I'm kinda wondering why they don't just start doing an automatic redirect to the ratpadz website.

Just for the record, the GS wasn't exactly my thing, but I'm eager to try an XT. If Newegg stocks them, I'll probably grab on on my next order.

Xaeos said:
Just for the record, the GS wasn't exactly my thing, but I'm eager to try an XT. If Newegg stocks them, I'll probably grab on on my next order.

They don't at the moment. $25 shipped from www.ratpadz.com and you'll get it in 2 days. (USPS Priority Mail)

vecctor said:
I wouldn't call it guerilla . .

At least 3 seperate posts on the frontpage, and constantly dropping links to it wherever they can. I'd say they are being pretty blatant. I'm kinda wondering why they don't just start doing an automatic redirect to the ratpadz website.

It is called using our site to market a product we believe in. Yes, I own HardOCP, HardForum, and Ratpadz. And yes, the week before Christmas we are hitting it hard.

vecctor said:
I'm kinda wondering why they don't just start doing an automatic redirect to the ratpadz website.

I'm kinda wondering why you're in this thread, Mr. 2 posts in 5 months. But gee, what a great idea, send everyone who comes to [H]ard land to Ratpadz. It's not like there's any advertising or anything on the [H] pages... :rolleyes:

might have to try one out soon, i loved the slick side of my func1030 but it only lasted like 3 months before it was completely worn down.

I didn't like the rough side but got used to it, after almost 2 years it's still in good condition, however I liked the smooth much much more.

Also, where can you buy the teflon for bottom of mouse after the originals wear off? My mx300 and mx500 are running on plastic.

sideout said:
might have to try one out soon, i loved the slick side of my func1030 but it only lasted like 3 months before it was completely worn down.

I didn't like the rough side but got used to it, after almost 2 years it's still in good condition, however I liked the smooth much much more.

Also, where can you buy the teflon for bottom of mouse after the originals wear off? My mx300 and mx500 are running on plastic.

Same here - I loved the slick side of the Func 1030 but not so much the rough side. The XT is MUCH slicker than the slick side of the Func 1030 even though the XT's surface is textured.

CrazyPC sells slick tape and liquid... lol http://www.crazypc.com/products/gamegear/gamegear.htm#mice

SVC also sells slick feet things... http://www.svc.com/xt-maddotz.html

pigwalk said:
How does the GS compare to the XT?

The GS and XT are both very similar in terms of feel. The XT has a lower coeffficient of drag, so the XT can be a bit more accurate as it takes less pressure to start to move your mouse.

The GS weighs less and is made out of an ABS plastic so it is easy to carry around in a bag if you are traveling. The GS is NOT as near as abrasion resistant as the XT. If you are a heavy duty gamer you will wear out the GS.

So, casual user, business traveler = GS
Hardcore gamer, lan player = XT

That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

Awesome Kyle, thanks for the info. After the xmas expenditures are all out of the way I'll probably be picking one up!

Damn. Reading this thread is making me excited to try mine. I ordered last night when do you think I will get it?

Textured surfaces, contrary to popular impression, create less drag on the bottom of the mouse. That is because there is less actual surface area touching the mouse at any given time. Less surface area rubbing against the mouse means less friction and less drag, assuming it's not made out of something sticky like rubber or...glue...or something like that.

That might be oversimplifying it, but you get the idea.

There are frying pans that use the same concept. They have teeny little bumps all over the inside that keep eggs from sticking.

Perfectly smooth surfaces, like glass or polished metal, create more drag on the surface because you are dragging the mouse feet against more of the surface.

Mark_Warner said:
Textured surfaces, contrary to popular impression, create less drag on the bottom of the mouse. That is because there is less actual surface area touching the mouse at any given time. Less surface area rubbing against the mouse means less friction and less drag, assuming it's not made out of something sticky like rubber or...glue...or something like that.

That might be oversimplifying it, but you get the idea.

There are frying pans that use the same concept. They have teeny little bumps all over the inside that keep eggs from sticking.

Perfectly smooth surfaces, like glass or polished metal, create more drag on the surface because you are dragging the mouse feet against more of the surface.

Thanks for the info. Now that I think about it, your point about less surface area translating into a lower coefficient of friction (well that's how I translated it) makes a lot of sense.

As for the ratpad, I will definitely be looking into one after I'm done Christmas shopping. I feel as if the ordinary $1 cloth pad I'm using is holding my MX510 back.

I got a GS many years ago and never really thought about it much, aside from it getting dirty and needing to be washed every so often. It did wear out pretty hardcore, esp as I've had it for quite a few years now.

If the XT is more durable, I think I'd like it... that it wore out so quickly is pretty much the one thing I didn't like about the GS, as the areas worn completely smooth take differing amounts of effort to move the mouse over. Really disconcerting.

J Macker said:
I did purchase one of those CS Hyde mats though, and it got damaged VERY quickly. Biggest waste of money in my opinion.

QFT!!!

But their roll of teflon tape lasts forever :D

xsoulbrothax said:
I got a GS many years ago and never really thought about it much, aside from it getting dirty and needing to be washed every so often. It did wear out pretty hardcore, esp as I've had it for quite a few years now.

If the XT is more durable, I think I'd like it... that it wore out so quickly is pretty much the one thing I didn't like about the GS, as the areas worn completely smooth take differing amounts of effort to move the mouse over. Really disconcerting.

Dig up the receipt for you pad and I will give you a new XT with a credit for $9.99 on the GS. We want our customers to be happy. [email protected]

I had 2 GS Ratpadz, the first was wonderful, used it so much I wore it smotth as well as the feet on my mouse wore worn off also, on the bottom of the mouse you could not even see where the feet were suppose to go as the raised plastic sections were also wore off. When I replaced the GS with a second one I was very disapointed that it started to show wear in less than one month and the feet on my new mouse were almost showing alot of wear. So if you say the XT is more durable and less abrasive I guess I will give Ratpadz another shot, but I will get some feet for my mouse just to be safe :).
As for size, I currenty have an Xtrac Ripper, it is huge (10.5" x17"), however I find I only use a small part of it, same with the GS, you could see from the wear that even it is more than big enough, 90% of my mouse use is in an area about 5 Inches around. So I am sure the Ratpadz is more than big enough for most users

Psst, Kyle, I found a Typo on your Ratpadz page.
Tough Construction
Both the GS and XT are built with very tough polymers and can stand up to all sorts of gaming and LAN abuses. The XT is heavy duty and built for those that will use it for endless gaming hours. The GT is lightweight and great for travelers.
Unless you have a third model called a GT the last sentence is in error :)

I asked for a XT for X-mas but don't think i'm going to be getting one.

But for advertising, Kyle can do as he pleases, he's so confident in his product and back it up with money back if not happy, dunno why more people aren't jumping on this?!

If i get one, it will still be tons better than my 3 year old 3M 3DFX mousepad i got for 5$

Diablo2K said:
Psst, Kyle, I found a Typo on your Ratpadz page.

Unless you have a third model called a GT the last sentence is in error :)

My bad! I will fix that. Also I would like to extend the $!0 bucks off a XT to you too since you had a previous GS if you can find your reciept.

Back