Single Boxen Folding Beauty

if the x1900 folding client is as fast as they claim, I'd rather have four of them on that gigabyte board :D

drizzt81 said:
if the x1900 folding client is as fast as they claim, I'd rather have four of them on that gigabyte board :D
Wonder what the price comparison would be?

AtomicMoose said:
Wonder what the price comparison would be?

I'm guesssing you could get 4x x1900's and a dual core CPU for much cheaper than that thing. The question is can that gigabye run four cards independently. I am not sure if it can or not.

would be cool to get 4 x1900s running huh:D could you imagine the ppd!!

though if i was stanford i would probably adjust the ppd down to keep it equalish?

Hell, the case itself is pretty sexy, from the front anyway. They called it quiet but I bet those fans ramp up with usage, and at least on boot it must sound like a wind tunnel...

I'll take two. :) How much are they?

yea...i bet i know y they called it a Typhoon PSC :) Either way though that is sexy....and i dont know about you guys but i love the sound of my computers running....much like car guys with their cars

Asian Dub Foundation said:
thx... im amaze at some of they stuff they let u get away with here :D

well when you have a moose for a mod...things happen :eek: you are a prime canidate for the Moosie Invite though....you should sign up

Yeah, all those things are relative. The lawnmower is probably relative too.

Sound measurements should have a standard. -_-

I suppose it depends on how fast the fans spin, because the big ones look like 120mm's? The smaller PSU ones are probably 80's...but my powerstream's 80 isn't THAT loud.

...ehh...yeah....whatever. Someone go buy one and tell us.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
thx... im amaze at some of they stuff they let u get away with here :D
While this is not GenMay, we do foster a team spirit. You'll learn what is and isn't acceptable as you go.
:)

Welcome to the team!

i dont get it, its just 4 dual motherboards in one box? ok? big deal? :confused:

Yep, they're pretty crappy. Buy a blade server setup instead, and you'll be happy.

unhappy_mage said:
Yep, they're pretty crappy. Buy a blade server setup instead, and you'll be happy.

ya and a blade server has higher density, and is rackmountable... etc

I see some talk here of a 1900 folding client. Has anyone done any work on getting a folding client working on Nvidia stuff or other Ati cards? I'm sure there is quite a bit a processing cycles in my 7900 gt that are available to any software smart enough to do it.

Or build something like I have underconstruction in the work logs. It takes 4 motherboards and all the hardware associated with them in a [H]Ark size box.

dekard said:
I see some talk here of a 1900 folding client. Has anyone done any work on getting a folding client working on Nvidia stuff or other Ati cards? I'm sure there is quite a bit a processing cycles in my 7900 gt that are available to any software smart enough to do it.

Folding on GPU's- no client out yet. Nothing expected till end of this year.

marty9876 said:
Folding on GPU's- no client out yet. Nothing expected till end of this year.
that will be nice when it comes. there's a lot of power tied up in those gpu's if it can only be unleashed.

dekard said:
that will be nice when it comes. there's a lot of power tied up in those gpu's if it can only be unleashed.

yea, its' been a long time in the making. I'm not holding my breath for it.... Clearspeed is another angle, PPU things. Folding on clusters/muti cpu support is another angle.

yee old lack of updates page: http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-highperformance.html

dekard said:
You'll find a lot of insightful discussion (and a lot of mindless speculation) over in this thread about GPU folding. Essentially, we don't know more than is mentioned on the High-Performance Folding page, except that they have it working on X19x0 cards. I imagine it'll run on any vaguely recent GPUs, at varying speeds. We'll find out hopefully at the end of the year (c'mon, Stanford, it would be a great Christmas present!).

marty9876 said:
don't forget about the wheels.
I'm still trying to figure out the wheels...
My cube is cold, roll the compute server in?
My chair broke, oh, I can roll the compute server over?
My neighbor is snoring I need a white noise generator, so roll it over?
My boss broke both legs and didn't get a wheelchair so we'll just mount him on the server and roll him around?
Who needs a rolling personal file cabinet when you can have a rolling compute server instead?
The compute server only runs jobs when it's in my cube, not from the server room?

:confused: :confused:

gwai lo said:
Yeah, all those things are relative. The lawnmower is probably relative too.

Sound measurements should have a standard. -_-

Lawnmowers are always louder at 8am that at 8pm!

Back