skins for ie and windows

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
how come windows and ie don't give u the possibility to change their default skins, like with the mac os and, browsers?:confused::)

Have you even looked? There's uxtheme hacks and programs like stardock's windowblinds, not sure what you can do with IE these days but I used a different IE theme back when I was using XP.

Vista gives you a ton of control over the color and the transparency right away.
The only two "themes" you need for IE. One Two
What about people, like myself, who still prefer IE7 over anything else? I know it's "cool" to hate IE, but not everyone is in love with alternative browsers.

Vista gives you a ton of control over the color and the transparency right away.

What about people, like myself, who still prefer IE7 over anything else? I know it's "cool" to hate IE, but not everyone is in love with alternative browsers.

Well, IE7 for one thing is a royal pain in the ass to code for. Wait. That's speaking from dev point of view, sorry. :D

IE7 is a bit too barebone for me, especially with Firefox's plugin capability. However, I do have to give it to IE7 once you install IE7 Pro. After that, IE7 is a pretty darn capable browser.

The problem with the majority of themes for IE is that they tend to uglify the browser with extreme Norrisian prejudice; same thing for most Windows themes, too.

Have you even looked? There's uxtheme hacks and programs like stardock's windowblinds, not sure what you can do with IE these days but I used a different IE theme back when I was using XP.

I ran that Stardock crap, and my system slowed to a halt. Native skinning support usually means it's a bit more streamlined, and doesn't eat up systems resources as an overlay.

The real reason Microsoft doesn't let you do it natively though is for branding purposes. How are they gonna build a brand image if that familiar start button isn't in their corner of EVERY computer?

Well that's pretty much your problem. IE7 or 8 is a POS IMHO. That POS IE when it crashes(pretty often), you lose all your websites that you're on. If you don't care about cool addons, plugins, userstyles(Stylish), greasemonkey and ect...Then you're better off just using IE.

I ran that Stardock crap, and my system slowed to a halt. Native skinning support usually means it's a bit more streamlined, and doesn't eat up systems resources as an overlay.

The real reason Microsoft doesn't let you do it natively though is for branding purposes. How are they gonna build a brand image if that familiar start button isn't in their corner of EVERY computer?

I actually think it's because of support, I.E. they don't want 10 million noobs calling them asking what happened when some program changes everything around for no reason.

i have all windowblinds versions since the first. and it sucks now that you have to pay to get decent skins.
i am asking why ms don't give the option of skins like they do in the mac.

Well that's pretty much your problem. IE7 or 8 is a POS IMHO. That POS IE when it crashes(pretty often), you lose all your websites that you're on. If you don't care about cool addons, plugins, userstyles(Stylish), greasemonkey and ect...Then you're better off just using IE.

Sounds to me like it's your computer or installation that's the POS. IE has been stable for a long time to me and everyone else I know. Might want to have your computer checked out... by a professional.

Oh and IE8's still beta in case you missed the memo. So um yeah..

What amuses me is how so many people complain about the lack of plugins IE7 has when the opportunity is there. Someone has to make them. Why not you??

IE7 or 8 is a POS IMHO. That POS IE when it crashes(pretty often), you lose all your websites that you're on.
Maybe you should stick to reputable websites??? IE7 doesn't crash for me at all. In fact, it works so well, and has the feature set I need, I've never had a reason to switch to another OS. This "OMG, it is made by Microsoft" crap is a bit old now, dontcha think?

Sounds to me like it's your computer or installation that's the POS. IE has been stable for a long time to me and everyone else I know. Might want to have your computer checked out... by a professional.

Oh and IE8's still beta in case you missed the memo. So um yeah..

What amuses me is how so many people complain about the lack of plugins IE7 has when the opportunity is there. Someone has to make them. Why not you??

LOL. Everyone know IE is a POS. There's nothing wrong with my OS. Everything runs fine. It's just IE is a POS. And don't make me laugh about the comparison between IE and Firefox about their plugins and addons.

Everyone know IE is a POS
Everyone doesn't know this, because it is simply not true. Have you bothered to do any research...or are you really going to sit there and tell us, that because IE is unstable on your system, that it CLEARLY is horrible for everyone else too? If you had bothered to do some reading, instead of donning your sheeple cap, you'd see that IE7 and Firefox are usually rated and scored almost identically in most reviews.

Everyone doesn't know this, because it is simply not true. Have you bothered to do any research...or are you really going to sit there and tell us, that because IE is unstable on your system, that it CLEARLY is horrible for everyone else too? If you had bothered to do some reading, instead of donning your sheeple cap, you'd see that IE7 and Firefox are usually rated and scored almost identically in most reviews.

What reviews have ever put IE7 as an equal to firefox? There where a few i read from when IE7 was brand new that put it close to firefox 2 but being as how we are on to firefox 3 and IE7 is a fucking relic in the browser wars maybe its time to come out from under that rock, take your own advice and do some research.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007215.html

http://www.techzoom.net/publications/insecurity-iceberg/index.en

Not only is IE7 slower than the current generation of browsers but its as secure as a sinking ship at sea.

There where a few i read from when IE7 was brand new that put it close to firefox 2
Those were the ones I was referring to, and surely you wouldn't be trying to tell me it has regressed, are you? FF3 has just been released, and has numerous issues of its own. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I despise FF. It has two many annoying quirks for me to use. IE7 is a perfectly capable browser, which loads pages at a more than perfectly acceptable speed for me. It is what I use, and what I will continue to use, so if that bothers you so much, you're just going to have to find a way to deal with it.

slower than the current generation of browsers but its as secure as a sinking ship at sea.

Another noob that's never heard of IE's 'protected mode' aka sandboxing. When's FF going to get that by the way, maybe in version 4 if ever..?

Back