Skipping and stuttering.

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
<<<UPDATE>>>
After installing Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 160GB Drive in the system, I have yet to see a problem with skipping and or stuttering.
<<<END OF UPDATE>>>

My HTPC problems just won't stop.

I recently upgraded from my AMD Opteron 175, Asus A8N SLi Premium, 2GB Ram, 7300GS etc. to an Intel E6300, 4GB Ram, EVGA 680i LT SLi, 7800GTX etc. I had Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, and after the upgrade I went to Windows Vista 64bit (To work with the 4GB of ram).

Since then I've had one problem after another. The biggest issue I have right now is the fact that It seems about 1-2 times a day I need to reinstall the video drivers in order to get rid of live TV skipping and stuttering of the audio and video.

This only happens with live tv.

I am tempted to go back to Windows Vista 32bit on another HD and test to see if that will resolve these issues (Then of course reducing the ram). Most of the drivers I have installed on the system are 64bit.

I don't have any extra codecs installed so I'm at a loss.

Full new build specs:

Intel E6300
4x1GB Corsair DDR2
EVGA 680i LT SLi
XFX 7800GTX (Feeding to the tv with DVI - HDMI Cable)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
C: 80GB Seagate 7200RPM 7200.7 SATA drive
D: LG DVDRW
E: Seagate 750GB IDE
F: WD 500GB SATA
G: WD 750GB SATA
H: 400GB Hitachi SATA
Onboard Audio using Optical Out to Receiver.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (Fully updated) Running Dreamscene for wallpaper.

Can you describe the problem a little more and when it seems to happen.
Is there any extra hard drive / cpu activity when the problem occurs compared to when it doesnt?

The live tv skipping happens all the time. Unless I reinstall the graphics driver.

The video will get displayed for a few seconds, then freeze, and the audio does the same, and they don't overlap properly.

I will get a message saying that my cable signal is too weak, but I know it's not since I've replaced the cable and my cable in general works just fine ( I use to do cable work).

There may be an issue with the signal, I dont know the modes of failure for the card so its hard to know if that is truly indicative of a weak signal.
Just for kicks, have you tried a signal amplifier?

Failing that, have you tried a different driver?
Have you checked Hauppauge forums to see if anyone else has had this issue?
If you dont get very far with the problem, it may be a good idea to contact Hauppauge or make a post on their forum.

Where does the cable come into your home from? How many times is it split, or where is it split? Are there squirrels chewing on your lines? :p

In a separate story, my cable TV was giving me problems with audio skipping, or sounding like something in the matrix with stuttering. I found out everyone on my whole block was having the problem. It was a bad fiber->coax distribution box on the corner of my block. It's still not fixed to this day because the cable company says it costs too much to fix for how many people are on our block. Needless to say, most of us switched over to satellite and never looked back.

The "Ped" is 12 feet from my townhome, which is then sent into a "Semi-smart" panel inside of the house which consists of a 4 way splitter - 7.5db per line. It then goes to the Living room which is then on a 2-way splitter another -3.5 per line (one line goes to the TV (To make things simple for the rest of the household), and the other line goes to the media center for me).

So as far as line signal loss goes, I don't think that's the issue. I have tried straight from the wall to the media center (-7.5db only) and that is the same.

Even if it was a signal issue, why would it be resolved if I reinstall the driver?

Anywho. I'm installing Vista Ultimate 32bit onto a 160GB HD to test to see how that is.

I'll report back.

Yeah, I am curious as I've heard that Windows Vista 64bit was great for stability. So I would hope it wouldn't be the problem, BUT, we'll see. Maybe just a clean install will resolve it. Even though that was a fresh install.

@Pierre - Well, it seems to have worked. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on my HTPC and I have no more issues. So maybe there is an issue with the nvidia 64bit driver. Who knows, but all I know is that my system is working beautifully now.

@Pierre - Well, it seems to have worked. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on my HTPC and I have no more issues. So maybe there is an issue with the nvidia 64bit driver. Who knows, but all I know is that my system is working beautifully now.

This kind of issues have been known for a long time. If making a media machine, vista 64 bit = NO. Glad you tried again to see if some of the issues have been worked out...but guess what has been the ugly truth of Vista 64 for media still is true.

Yeah. I figured I'd give it a shot. Maybe there has been some updates. Maybe I could figure something out. But nothing. Either way, Vista 32bit works fine, and I doubt there would be any difference that I would see to make me want to go with Vista 64bit.

Back