Skype-to-skype over WiFi?

whisper

Limp Gawd
Anyone had the chance to try the new Skype-to-Skype calling feature on Verizon? I'm thinking of upgrading to the HTC droid incredible and if I take the plunge, I'll be carrying it with me on a trip to Japan this summer. Of course I won't have any luck finding a compatible 3G signal over there, but I'll have WiFi access in my hotel and probably other places as well. I'm thinking I can use Skype-to-Skype over WiFi to stay in touch back home - and with Skype credit I should even be able to call cell and landlines. Anyone see any obvious flaws with this plan? In particualr:

1. Can I assume Skype-to-Skype works over any available data connection (WiFi or 3G)? May sound silly, but with Verizon you never know...

2. Verizon is advertising international calls via Skype-to-Skype, but it seems like they are referring to making calls from the U.S. to locations abroad. Any reason it wouldn't work the other way (assuming that I can get on with a WiFi connection)?

Besides my trip this summer, using this feature over WiFi would be a major plus for me so if it doesn't work that way I think it would be a deal breaker for buying the phone (mainly b/c I don't want to sign another 2 year contract if I can't get ALL the features I want). I could call up Verizon but honestly I figure you all probably know better anyway:cool:

Whisper, any info I put in here is strictly speculation, not fact:

Everything SHOULD work, in theory. However, I know Verizon to be a bunch of chiselers who NEVER let an opportunity to bend the customer over pass them by. Honestly, since THEY control the skype app, they can easily force you to be going through a US based IP address to make calls, and using Japanese wifi could potentially raise flags.

Now, WILL this happen? Probably not, but it's better to ask them than ask here. You would, however, be able to use Fring to make skype to skype calls over wifi, without a doubt.

Whisper, any info I put in here is strictly speculation, not fact:

Everything SHOULD work, in theory. However, I know Verizon to be a bunch of chiselers who NEVER let an opportunity to bend the customer over pass them by. Honestly, since THEY control the skype app, they can easily force you to be going through a US based IP address to make calls, and using Japanese wifi could potentially raise flags.

Now, WILL this happen? Probably not, but it's better to ask them than ask here. You would, however, be able to use Fring to make skype to skype calls over wifi, without a doubt.

Thanks, that helps;) I hadn't thought about Fring but that's a good backup plan, in case the VZW Skype app doesn't work while abroad. Cool.

Back