Skyrim Modding Megathread

I installed the FXAA injector mod last night... I kind of like it. The best part about it is you can just push the pause/break button to toggle it on and off. It's totally non-instrusive that way. I find myself switching between the two every some-odd minutes.

There should be an auto-installer for the mod, and it has an uninstaller as well, so it's simple if you just want to get rid of it. Then you can tweak the settings in a file after installing if you want.

I installed the FXAA injector mod last night... I kind of like it. The best part about it is you can just push the pause/break button to toggle it on and off. It's totally non-instrusive that way. I find myself switching between the two every some-odd minutes.

There should be an auto-installer for the mod, and it has an uninstaller as well, so it's simple if you just want to get rid of it. Then you can tweak the settings in a file after installing if you want.
Can you run FXAA in the game with traditional AA @ x0, or do you need it on?

does the Simple Borderless Window mod have any downsides? Simple alt tabbing is very appealing. I guess it's just windowed mode without looking like it?

Damn, beaten to the thread--i knew i shoulda made it last night... anyway, add this to the OP please:

If you have a really sexy computer, you can use the DNA .ini creator to pump your settings to the max.

.ini Tweaks for Shadows (definitely affects FPS)

PC Gamer Tweaks Article (water .ini tweaks, disable VSync, and more

FOV Fix

Better Blood Texture

Detailed Faces

No more Blocky Faces

4GB Address Allocation Tutorial

Antiallias and Sharpen Effect (already in OP, but figured i should mention that it doesn't work together with the FPS limiter, and that it only lowers my FPS by 1)
| These two do not work together.
FPS Limiter <--this link also has information on making the mouse smoother!

Low end systems:

To make TES Skyrim gameplay smoother and to use more memory for it, modify Skyrim.ini with these:
[Papyrus]
iMinMemoryPageSize=100000
iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000

You can turn off shadows in SkyrimPrefs.ini by editing the following:
iShadowMapResolution=256
fShadowBiasScale=0
iShadowMaskQuarter=1
fShadowDistance=0
iShadowFilter=1
fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000
iShadowMode=1
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0
bDrawShadows=0

edit: most of those links go to Skyrimnexus.com.. but it appears to be down atm lol

Last edited:
And using the scroll wheel to scroll the list is very counter intuitive.

How is using the scroll wheel to scroll counter-intuitive? Isn't that pretty much the whole point of the scroll wheel? I'd venture to guess that's how it got the name.

anyone know of a viewmodel scale/position mod? I'm not even going to bother playing this until I find one, don't care how good it is. I couldn't put up with more than a few minutes of this, really want to know which batshit retard at bethsoft thought it would be an awsome idea to scale your weapon models this way. like they're being carried by tiny baby arms, sticking straight out in front of your face, and blocking what could amount to half of your screen.

even something simple like a bow has to have half of it in your field of view at all times, who would carry a weapon like that? besides the fact that this totally fucks up your perspective, it doesn't even make sense. sometimes the crazy shit that devs do in order to impress kids and stupid people just really amazes me, imagine they posed all the models to match what you're seeing in this absurd first person view, just makes me rage.

How is using the scroll wheel to scroll counter-intuitive? Isn't that pretty much the whole point of the scroll wheel? I'd venture to guess that's how it got the name.

it's not counterintuitive, people just like using ui design buzzwords when they don't know how to express the actual problem. mouse interaction was an afterthought, so it's unresponsive and buggy. sometimes you have to scroll twice to get the change to register. the selection cursor doesn't follow mouse activation, so what you're looking at might not match what's actually selected. this confuses people so to them it becomes "counterintuitive", when the mechanics are fine, just poorly implemented. it makes functional sense for mice as well as controllers, only problem is they didn't bother to properly tune it for mouse interaction.

oh god this thread makes me want to buy it at full price. must. leave. thread.
yeah same here.
However I don't mind getting the game at full price but I have tons of other games to finish. I have AC: Revelations, Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Fallout 3 and Vegas (I bought them at steam sale and never played them yet) etc...
So if I get this game then it will either sit or other games will sit, so I'd rather finish the games I have first and get this when it drops in price and tons of mods are out.

One of those links showed how to make Skyrim large address aware and use more than 2GB. Has anyone tried it and confirmed that Skyrim will take advantage of that? BF3 is the only game I know of that uses remotely close to 2GB.

The main impact of it on the previous games was that it enabled the use of the more demanding graphics mods without the game crashing due to lack of memory.

Using 1.11 Skyrim....................

And if by, "works" you mean being able to click an item with the mouse after using WASD to select said item then no thanks.

Give the ability to select and click an item from inventory, skill tree or map with the mouse only!

I've discussed this in another thread, I have this ability; mouse only.

No edits, all vanilla.

I've no idea why so many have issues with games in general, let alone this one.

anyone tried the DNA extreme settings? what kind of fps hit you get and what your hardware?

hopefully someone will tweak the physics for objects
I've injured myself on my piles of treasure a couple times now lol
ok this is totally lame,
but have any of you tried to decorate your house with trophies/objects you've found? most frustrating thing ever to place objects. I spent 10 minutes trying to get a vase to stand upright. and a lot of the times I come back to my house and objects have been moved around by the computer. :mad:
btw, my house is totally baller. I collect cool crap i find on missions just to decorate lol.

No edits, all vanilla.

It's not our fault, graphics tweaks aside, there were like 3 different things i had to do to make this game playable.

1. FOV tweaks (which has been a headache getting to stick)
2. Disable Mouse Smoothing (was easy, but in the .ini)
3. Equalize X and Y axis sensitivity (also was easy, but in the .ini)

These things will likely plague every single PC user. I cannot fathom how a company like Bethesda didn't plug in a mouse, test shit out for 10 seconds, and realize they should make a few .ini tweaks before the PC version ships. It would have saved their users SO much hassle..

And to think! The people who don't like or know how to tweak a game's settings are just shit on, and left with a less-than-optimal experience.

Game runs flawlessly so far aside from the odd CTD(I've only had two, which is better than my FO:NV which crashes all the time, literally).

Thanks for the heads up on the Mod, I will wait for more but I enjoy seeing what's coming out.

On the CTD, I had this happen a couple times, found a possible fix on Bethesda forums, seems like this is related to Sounds HZ settings, I'm at work so don't have the details, UPDATED:

If you're crashing to the desktop, try this workaround
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound 2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties 3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

If you're having sound issues, such as static during NPC dialogue
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound 2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties 3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

I was set to 48, the fix for BF3 problems at launch, I started to see the Skyrim CTD from nowhere, usually with a vendor/loot screen... since I changed my sound on Sunday, no issues or CTDs.

Last edited:
And to think! The people who don't like or know how to tweak a game's settings are just shit on, and left with a less-than-optimal experience.
FOV and smoothing are personal preference.
If people don't notice, then it means they don't care, and they are unaffected by it.

In my experience, telling someone "you don't realize you have a problem, but you actually do!" is very ineffective. They honestly don't believe you, and even after you 'fix' something, they will say they see no difference.
Anyone who has worked on PC's is familiar with those stories. Switching people from IE to Firefox is a similar concept, most casuals don't give a shit.

If it bothers you, fix it.
If it doesn't bother you, then ignore it and be happy.

FOV and smoothing are personal preference.
If people don't notice, then it means they don't care, and they are unaffected by it.

In my experience, telling someone "you don't realize you have a problem, but you actually do!" is very ineffective. They honestly don't believe you, and even after you 'fix' something, they will say they see no difference.
Anyone who has worked on PC's is familiar with those stories. Switching people from IE to Firefox is a similar concept, most casuals don't give a shit.

If it bothers you, fix it.
If it doesn't bother you, then ignore it and be happy.

Yea i can see that, but only to a point. I have a friend who might as well be a console gamer. He would never take the time to mod a game. But after i got done tweaking his ini and shit, he was like-- "Wow... i didn't even realize how many times i was moving my mouse in order to look up"

What made me suggest tweaking his .ini was watching him in a dragon fight where he was looking up and down a lot... I shoulda captured video because it looked fucking hilarious as he furiously is panning his mouse across the entire mousepad again and again, trying to keep this dragon in his sights.

DNA Extreme SkyrimPrefs.ini that I use. one wierd thing that happened was the next time I launched it redetected my Video settings. Dunno why but it chose high - I hit ultra again and I am getting about 80FPS per Afterburner.
[Do Not Argue - no arguments needed]
Skyrim_cfg_version=1.5
[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
bAllowConsole=0
iPreloadSizeLimit=209715200
bPreloadIntroSequence=1
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=320.0000
iNumHWThreads=4
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
uGridsToLoad=20
uInterior Cell Buffer=16
uExterior Cell Buffer=180
iFPSClamp=60
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=4
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=4
fInteriorShadowDistance=6000.0000
fShadowDistance=16000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=8192
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=16
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=6600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=5600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=20000000
fGamma=1.5000
fDecalLOD2=3500.0000
fDecalLOD1=3000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=4000.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=400.0000
fLightLODStartFade=5500.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=16
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=4
iMultiSample=8
iShadowMode=5
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bFull Screen=1
iSize W=1920
iSize H=1080
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=1024.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=8192.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=11376.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=20000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=20000000.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=50
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=300
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
sD3DDevice="NVIDIAGeForceGTX580"
bFXAAEnabled=1
fShadowBiasScale=0.050
iShadowMaskQuarter=5
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=1
iShadowFilter=3
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDrawShadows=1
iShadowMapResolution=8192
fDefault1stPersonFOV=90.0000
fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0000
fDefaultFOV=90.0000
bSimpleLighting=0
bDynamicWindowReflections=1
bUseFakeFullScreenMotionBlur=0
bAllowPartialPrecision=0
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bActorSelfShadowing=1
bMTRendering=1
bUseSunbeams=1
bAllow30Shaders=1
bDo30VFog=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=15000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=15000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=5
bAllowLoadGrass=1
iGrassCellRadius=8
bGrassPointLighting=1
fGrassFadeRange=2500.0000
fGrassDefaultStartFadeDistance=5000.0000
bDrawShaderGrass=1
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.0000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iShadowMaskQuarter=5
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=2048
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=
uID7=
fVal6=
uID6=
fVal5=
uID5=
fVal4=
uID4=
fVal3=
uID3=
fVal2=
uID2=
fVal1=
uID1=
fVal0=
uID0=
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=462144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=52768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=36384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=20000.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=125000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=350000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=120000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=45000.000
fSplitDistanceMult=2.5000
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=100
bForceFullDetail=1
bEnableTreeAnimations=1
bEnableTrees=1
fUpdateBudget=2.5000
bPickSkinnedTrees=1
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=2500
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=250
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=200
bDecalMultithreaded=1
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=50.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=50.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=50.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=4
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1
[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0
[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=2048
iWaterReflectWidth=2048
bUseWaterDisplacements=1
bUseWaterRefractions=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bUseWaterDepth=1
bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1
bReflectExplosions=1
iWaterBlurAmount=4
bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0
bForceHighDetailReflections=1
bUseWaterHiRes=1
bUseWaterLOD=0
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1
bUseWaterShader=1
[BackgroundLoad]
bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bBackgroundCellLoads=1
bLoadHelmetsInBackground=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
[ScreenSplatter]
bBloodSplatterEnabled=1

Last edited:

No edits, all vanilla.

features like this don't get added until after release, because devs don't give a shit about pc. and many people don't buy their games, so they're not getting current patches, and not smart enough to keep up with patch notes when they complain.

DNA Extreme SkyrimPrefs.ini that I use. one wierd thing that happened was the next time I launched it redetected my Video settings. Dunno why but it chose high - I hit ultra again and I am getting about 80FPS per Afterburner.

this is because bethsoft is stupid, and designed their game launcher to automatically overwrite your config every time it runs. and not only did they make it reset your settings, but also assigned it as the default shortcut for the game. so you have to change the target to tesv.exe that runs the game itself, to bypass the launcher and just run the game.

this is because bethsoft is stupid, and designed their game launcher to automatically overwrite your config every time it runs. and not only did they make it reset your settings, but also assigned it as the default shortcut for the game. so you have to change the target to tesv.exe that runs the game itself, to bypass the launcher and just run the game.

It doesn't overwrite it. It may write to it, but I've run the game from the launcher many times, and all the ini tweaks I put in are still there.

It doesn't overwrite it. It may write to it, but I've run the game from the launcher many times, and all the ini tweaks I put in are still there.

Yeah...I tried the ENB thing and it made me re-do my video settings in the launcher, but the ini tweaks stayed.

Also...I have disabled VSync and (allegedly) disabled mouse acceleration (the command was never in my ini, though, I had to add it manually) but the mouse movement still feels sluggish. Is this normal or is something wrong?

so are they supposed to get some kind of award now for not replacing your entire config during this pointless waste of time? it sure does overwrite any settings that are included in those default profiles, if there's already buttons for low/med/high/ultra, why revert your settings every time? this is why sane devs only do it on first run, when configs don't yet exist, that way they don't screw up any of your custom configs. what's even worse is the mod file manager has to be run from that same launcher, so every time you want to mess with any mod files you have to deal with this.

it's pure sloppiness of the don't give a fuck variety, we need to have hardware detection so let's just make it work instead of working right.

so are they supposed to get some kind of award now for not replacing your entire config during this pointless waste of time? it sure does overwrite any settings that are included in those default profiles, if there's already buttons for low/med/high/ultra, why revert your settings every time? this is why sane devs only do it on first run, when configs don't yet exist, that way they don't screw up any of your custom configs. what's even worse is the mod file manager has to be run from that same launcher, so every time you want to mess with any mod files you have to deal with this.

it's pure sloppiness of the don't give a fuck variety, we need to have hardware detection so let's just make it work instead of working right.

It may be that your profile isn't an "admin" account so your not able to actually save the settings (dont have permissions to write to /Program Files). I have seen this is many games on Win 7 if your not admin acount.

Try "run application as administrator" to see if that helps.

This may not apply to you though.

any mods out yet to fix the horrible consolized menu/ui

There's one that makes a few changes.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88

1. Instead of a hard coded Tab, your Character Menu key/mouse button will now:
--- Close books!
--- Exit the map!
--- End dialog / trading
--- Exit crafting
--- Abandon lockpicking

2. Clicking the middle mouse button on an inventory item will zoom in on it and you can click and drag to rotate it (fun)
--- You can also use your Sprint key to zoom an item
--- The previous way to do this was using the C key, but this function was undocumented and hard coded
--- The C key hard code was removed to prevent conflicts

3. The map is moved using your set up/down/left/right keys instead of hard coded WASD
--- Center view is set to your Activate key instead of hard code E

4. Your left/right strafe keys control the lock rotation in the lockpick mini-game instead of hard coded A/D
--- The left/right arrow keys and Left Mouse/Right Mouse were also added as ways to rotate the lock
--- If you change your strafe keys, you may have to restart the game to get right strafe to rotate the lock

5. Pressing the favorites key again while in the favorites menu will now exit the favorites menu (what a concept)
--- The character menu key will still also close the favorites menu

6. If you have the Activate command bound to a mouse button (ex: Mouse 5) you can now take books!

7. You can drop items or mark them as favorites even if you have Sheathe/Ready or Toggle POV bound to a mouse button
--- Note that as always the interface won't update to show your changes, it will always show Drop as R and Favorite as F
--- In actuality, Drop is whatever you assigned to Sheathe/Ready and Mark as Favorite is what you assigned to Toggle POV

8. You can equip weapons to either hand with if you use your keyboard for your attack keys instead of the default mouse buttons

9. Turning book pages uses your strafe keys instead of hard coded A/D
--- Left/right arrow keys, left/right mouse, and mouse wheel still work to turn pages, too

10. The T key was hardcoded to recharge, now the Wait key/mouse button will do recharge (which is T by default)
--- Added to avoid conflicts in browsing the menus

I'm not sure what settings you think it is resetting? Are you loading the options changer from the launcher, or just hitting Play to play the game? It absolutely does not make any changes to my .ini file when I run the game through the launcher - if yours is redetecting the graphics settings every time and re-loading the default settings for a given profile (Low, Medium, High, Ultra) then that is a different problem. The first time you run it, it will set the default settings (an show the pop-up box), but after that it shouldn't (and doesn't, on mine).

Just installed that and nothing seems to work right...

There's one that makes a few changes.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88

1. Instead of a hard coded Tab, your Character Menu key/mouse button will now:
--- Close books!
--- Exit the map!
--- End dialog / trading
--- Exit crafting
--- Abandon lockpicking

2. Clicking the middle mouse button on an inventory item will zoom in on it and you can click and drag to rotate it (fun)
--- You can also use your Sprint key to zoom an item
--- The previous way to do this was using the C key, but this function was undocumented and hard coded
--- The C key hard code was removed to prevent conflicts

3. The map is moved using your set up/down/left/right keys instead of hard coded WASD
--- Center view is set to your Activate key instead of hard code E

4. Your left/right strafe keys control the lock rotation in the lockpick mini-game instead of hard coded A/D
--- The left/right arrow keys and Left Mouse/Right Mouse were also added as ways to rotate the lock
--- If you change your strafe keys, you may have to restart the game to get right strafe to rotate the lock

5. Pressing the favorites key again while in the favorites menu will now exit the favorites menu (what a concept)
--- The character menu key will still also close the favorites menu

6. If you have the Activate command bound to a mouse button (ex: Mouse 5) you can now take books!

7. You can drop items or mark them as favorites even if you have Sheathe/Ready or Toggle POV bound to a mouse button
--- Note that as always the interface won't update to show your changes, it will always show Drop as R and Favorite as F
--- In actuality, Drop is whatever you assigned to Sheathe/Ready and Mark as Favorite is what you assigned to Toggle POV

8. You can equip weapons to either hand with if you use your keyboard for your attack keys instead of the default mouse buttons

9. Turning book pages uses your strafe keys instead of hard coded A/D
--- Left/right arrow keys, left/right mouse, and mouse wheel still work to turn pages, too

10. The T key was hardcoded to recharge, now the Wait key/mouse button will do recharge (which is T by default)
--- Added to avoid conflicts in browsing the menus

Nicer Snowflakes:
In the pictures, I find the shapes to be too defined and a bit too fantasy-like, but in game, it looks good.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=296

Better Interior - Wood:
Some great new textures for a few wooden things commonly found in interiors. He is working on more textures and is going to dirty up the existing ones (along with some other minor modifications).
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=238#content

AaGeOn's HQ TP:
ETA of 1-1.5 weeks for the first version. It is shaping up pretty nicely.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1271620-aageons-hq-texture-pack-wip/

Wasteland TP:
I like many of the textures in the TP but some I dislike, like the darker roads, as they don't blend well. Still a WIP obviously.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=329
Skyrimnexus member gorefest2011 has created an improved version of the road texture for the Wasteland TP:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5O90CNU3

Sunglare:
This might've already been listed. If not, it adds sunglare to the sun. Until godrays are implemented, this will do.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=116

Edit:
Better Gold:
Much better looking gold pieces.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=362

High Quality Food and Ingredients:
Only currently covers 4 items but it is something to keep an eye on. The stuff done so far looks really nice.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=280

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the ENB patch(es) yet? For whatever reason I get massive slowdown with it (more than normal) and I haven't really noticed any graphical improvements at all.

anyone tried the DNA extreme settings? what kind of fps hit you get and what your hardware?

I just now tried it, and I'm not sure objectively what kind of FPS hit I got, but nothing major...still playable and smooth most of the time.

However, how do you know if it's working? Because walking around the shadows still look like ass to me, blocky and crap. Shouldn't this have fixed that?

EDIT: Disregard that...inside buildings I am getting like 1-2 FPS, unplayable slideshow...something is messed up.

I'm not sure what settings you think it is resetting? Are you loading the options changer from the launcher, or just hitting Play to play the game? It absolutely does not make any changes to my .ini file when I run the game through the launcher - if yours is redetecting the graphics settings every time and re-loading the default settings for a given profile (Low, Medium, High, Ultra) then that is a different problem. The first time you run it, it will set the default settings (an show the pop-up box), but after that it shouldn't (and doesn't, on mine).

I wasn't sure about this myself because I'm assuming that one must start the game "through the launcher" with Steam on to get the achievements.

I just want to make absolutely sure that nothing happens to my ini or preferences.ini files as consequence. You seem fairly confident.

EDIT: Just tested it. Seems good to go unless someone shoots me down.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the "Improved Night Sky" mod!
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=243

Same as "Enhanced Night Stars (High Density)" and adds
"Tranquility Planet - This planet was originally from akindain with the mod called "Moon texture replacer pack" and was edited by me (sareg155) to make it more interesting by giving the planet a glow and better shading."

Added a bunch of screenshots to the FXAA injector section. I toned down the sharpness for these.

Can you post your setting's file?

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FXAA SHADER
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// Set values to calculate the amount of Anti Aliasing applied
float fxaaQualitySubpix = 0.70; // Default: 0.75 Raise to increase amount of blur
float fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold = 0.133; // Lower the value for more smoothing
float fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin = 0.0633; // Lower the value for more smoothing

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRE_SHARPEN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
//For higher precision in the calculation of contour, requires slightly more processing power
bool highQualitySharpen = 0; //0 = Disable | 1 = Enable

// Set values to calculate the amount of AA produced blur to consider for the sharpening pass
#define Average 0.8
#define CoefBlur 2

// Set values of the sharpening amount
#define SharpenEdge 0.2
#define Sharpen_val0 1.4

BLOOM
// Number of samples per pixel taken for the Bloom effect. Don't set it to high! 4 = 25spp, 8 = 81spp, 16 = 289spp
#define NUM_SAMPLES2 4 // Must be set with a value dividable by 2
float BloomPreset = 5; // Disabled = 0 (Valid Preset Values = 1 to 9) Preset value 1 to 9 takes control over the next 3 settings.
float BloomThreshold = 1; // The min. level at which the effect starts (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)
float BloomWidth = 1; // Sets the width of the effect (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)
float BloomPower = 1; // The power of the effect (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)

TECHNICOLOR
#define TechniAmount 0.40 // 1.00 = Max
#define TechniPower 4.5 // lower values = whitening

// lower values = stronger channel
#define redNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define greenNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define blueNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max

TONEMAP
#define Gamma 1.10
#define Exposure -0.10
#define Saturation 1.40 // use negative values for less saturation.
#define BlueShift -0.10 // Higher = more blue in image.
#define Bleach 0.00 // Bleach bypass, higher = stronger effect
#define Defog 0.000 // Strength of Lens Colors.
#define FogColor float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0) //Lens-style color filters for Blue, Red, Yellow, White.

SEPIA
#define Earthyellow // Color Tone, available tones can be seen in ColorTones.PNG (Do not use spaces in the name!)
#define SepiaPower 0.5 // 1.00 = Max

VIGNETTE
// Vignette effect, process by which there is loss in clarity towards the corners and sides of the image, like a picture frame
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // Center of screen for effect.
#define VignetteRadius 1.00 // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -0.70 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.

POST_SHARPEN
// Controls additional sharpening applied after previous processing. Strength should be max 0.25!
float Sharpen = 0.02;

FINAL_LIMITER
// Controls the strenght of the limiter. 1.000 for default setting
int LimiterStrenght = 1.000;

Back