Skyrim Modding Megathread

Hey guys got a question, starting to play skyrim again havent played since swtor came out lol. i have pretty much finished geting the mods i want. and just from testing mods and what not skyrim is kinda acting like oblivion now lol with crash's to desktop when exiting to the menu, and if i just exit to desktop while im playing it looks more like its crashing than a exit. is this somthing that happens to alot of folk or did i do somthing wrong with one of my mods. will list them if need be

is this latest patch 1.5 causing any problems for any one? mmm will test skyrim later without these 2 mods but think these could be causing the CTD?

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons
Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds

Hey guys got a question, starting to play skyrim again havent played since swtor came out lol. i have pretty much finished geting the mods i want. and just from testing mods and what not skyrim is kinda acting like oblivion now lol with crash's to desktop when exiting to the menu, and if i just exit to desktop while im playing it looks more like its crashing than a exit. is this somthing that happens to alot of folk or did i do somthing wrong with one of my mods. will list them if need be

is this latest patch 1.5 causing any problems for any one? mmm will test skyrim later without these 2 mods but think these could be causing the CTD?

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons
Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds

1.5 has some issues.

Those Sounds mods aren't the problem.

Run BOSS and check your load order on mods to be sure but chances are you can blame 1.5.

Yup, 1.5 causes nearly all mods with modified navmeshes to crash your game if you return to the modded area so this is probably what is doing it. There is a beta patch that reverts the navmesh bug back to it AI simply not working so you may want to try that if you do not want to wait for the final patch.

ah that sucks lol. thanks :)

more tweaking to do then it seems lol I've spent the last 2 days checking out mods, downloading and tweaking skyrim. might sound boring but its kinda fun i love pc gaming lol was just ready to start a new char to lol

thx again will double check my load order and check out that beta patch

Anyone know why Shriekwind Basin's interior would be 90-100% gone? I don't see how any of my mods could cause this, and what is weird is that after I went to Bleakfalls Barrow's interior then traveled back to Shriekwind's interior, it was fixed.

Anyone know why Shriekwind Basin's interior would be 90-100% gone? I don't see how any of my mods could cause this, and what is weird is that after I went to Bleakfalls Barrow's interior then traveled back to Shriekwind's interior, it was fixed.

Patch related and/or load order would be my first best guesses shy of it being an issue with the mod itself.

It's just like in the amazing Deus Mons, there's an area of this huge hallway where if I look down that hallway from one of the adjoining rooms a bizarre blurring phenomenon takes place and it's clearly something going on with the mod.

I always reset AI every time I install or uninstall a mod as a habit.

Doesn't hurt to disable half your mods and load the game outside. if it's the same problem, then disable half of the active mods...if not activate the other half. Divide and conquer. I had to do things like that a number of times on TES games.

Well, I can no longer replicate the issue. When I was playing before, I could just load up the save, enter the Basin, and witness the problem every time yet now I cannot.

Q-BZ, that is reported on his mod's description page:
"-In the Living Quarters, there's a specfic area where the Depth of Field in that imagespace behaves in an unintended way. If it bothers you a lot, then you can use this .ini tweak in skyrimprefs.ini:
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=0"

Well, I can no longer replicate the issue. When I was playing before, I could just load up the save, enter the Basin, and witness the problem every time yet now I cannot.

Q-BZ, that is reported on his mod's description page:
"-In the Living Quarters, there's a specfic area where the Depth of Field in that imagespace behaves in an unintended way. If it bothers you a lot, then you can use this .ini tweak in skyrimprefs.ini:
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=0"

Ah, ok.

I probably won't fiddle with that .ini setting, though.

Ah, ok.

I probably won't fiddle with that .ini setting, though.

You might be able to fix it in the CK by just switching the imagespace to one that came with the game. Though I am not sure how he has everything set up or even what the problem looks like so it might be more complex than that.

Speaking of DoF, here is something that appeals to me... Brokeh filter without the other ENB parts:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13391

I tested it with RLwC and it worked very well except my FPS was too low for me to play that way. I don't understand how some people get no performance hit with ENB stuff. Maybe they weren't pushing their card hard to begin with? When I tested it, I turned off AA so I was below my VRAM limit but I think my graphics card is simply too slow.

I can't even play after 1.5. I get CTDs after 15 to 30 seconds. :mad:

It would be nice if Bethesda would give you some sort of error message instead of just kicking you to the desktop with nothing.

Game runs like a champ for me with 1.5 and a slew of mods. I too am kind of let down that there's been no really good mods yet, just textures or hideouts.

I told myself I was going to get in to the Creation Kit to do my own stuff, but I haven't yet. Maybe now is a good time.

I'm assuming it's a patch issue but I'm using the latest one and I noticed that a couple of player home mods still make my game CTD pretty damned quick.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8197

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9904

This guy's mods are all absolutely incredible. Deus Mons is probably his best. Professional caliber work all the way. That one seems to behave nicely for me but either of those two is CTD city for me and I have no idea why.

Different author: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13641

That's an awesome mod. If he advances it where you can make that thing fly around it's going to be epic.

Same author: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8197

CTD city.

So I don't know what's going on here with some of these mods but I think it comes back to a patch problem where we can all continue to see patches that fix one problem and create two or three new ones.

It's very frustrating and basically means that I'm not going to really dive in and play with a bunch of mods because most of the time I can count on CTDs.

I get the same problems Q-BZ. Sometimes it might be due to another mod calling on a vanilla object (or objects) that another mod deleted instead of disabled. Other times I have no idea and it is indeed frustrating.

For now, if I can only choose one, it's Deus Mons. That place is incredible.

More mods. I have not personally played many of these so I'm not sure how well they work:
Dwemer Aquarium
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14122

His Pinewoods Cottage looks nice from the SS too
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10370

Light up the night - People Have Torches
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14019

Batch Crafting Recipes
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14123

Faal Sizaan - Ancient Nordic Longbow
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14085

LBs Much Ado about Snow Elves
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14163

Skyrim Monster Mod
I thought this was posted before but I couldn't find it using the search function
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9694

Fixed Mannequins - Mesh
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14181

Game runs like a champ for me with 1.5 and a slew of mods. I too am kind of let down that there's been no really good mods yet, just textures or hideouts.

I told myself I was going to get in to the Creation Kit to do my own stuff, but I haven't yet. Maybe now is a good time.

What kind of mods are you looking for?

Last edited:
Alright, so Skyrim is now unplayable for me. I'm getting 5fps whereas before I was sitting around 70-90fps. No new mods, nothing, just went to play yesterday and it ran like crap. I did a clean install and it is still running like crap.

I'm running a fresh install now of Skyrim so I don't have an idea of where to start to begin fixing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Alright, so Skyrim is now unplayable for me. I'm getting 5fps whereas before I was sitting around 70-90fps. No new mods, nothing, just went to play yesterday and it ran like crap. I did a clean install and it is still running like crap.

I'm running a fresh install now of Skyrim so I don't have an idea of where to start to begin fixing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try a new game and go into the same area as an area in the old save. Compare/contrast to see how the saves match up. Or go to a save in the old 70-90FPS days if you still have one.

Try a new game and go into the same area as an area in the old save. Compare/contrast to see how the saves match up. Or go to a save in the old 70-90FPS days if you still have one.

Redid an old save and that fixed it. Thanks for the tip Parm. I appreciate it as I really don't think I would have thought about that.

Redid an old save and that fixed it. Thanks for the tip Parm. I appreciate it as I really don't think I would have thought about that.

I'm glad that fixed it. But how and why? What's the deal there?

Saves can get corrupted or the game gets corrupted and saves. Sometimes just as a CTD can happen a corruption moment can happen too. CTDs are much better to have, as the silent problems don't go noticed for a while. Happened a lot to me when I played Morrowind with Morrowind Script Extender. Then the Morrowind Code Patch project seemed to fix that problem. What's really nasty is when you don't know that your save is corrupted but you don't notice the symptoms until an hours later. But Skyrim shouldn't be nearly as bad as Morrowind once was. Bad things should hopefully be immediately recognizable. Oblivion would always slow down for me after several scores of hours played. I never could play an Oblivion runthrough much past 100 hours.

Ya I'm approaching 150 hours of skyrim playtime and only a couple CTD's but this was the first time I've noticed any slowdown. Going to start modding it again, slowly though.

The few occasions i have had a CTD during or right after a save, the file was corrupt. When trying to load it would just show the load screen eternally... so it appears it wont let you kill your save (i hope.)

I do notice that loading takes a bit longer than it used to as i get up into the hours. (190 in)

I haven't played in a month or so, so maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't really seen anything epic come out of the Creation Kit yet.

I haven't played in a month or so, so maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't really seen anything epic come out of the Creation Kit yet.

1. CK has only been out for 2 months.
2. The CK has horrible bugs that affect many of the large/epic mods (navmesh, disappearing objects, etc.). Plus, creating quests is a challenging thing to learn, besides very simple quests.
3. Modding scene doesn't seem to be as big as it was for Oblivion.
4. Skyrim is much better than Oblivion in quite a few areas so mods like Unique Landscapes aren't really needed.

And, as I stated earlier, there are some ambitious mods being created (Issgard and Luftahraan are examples) that are going to take months to finish. Oblivion didn't have anything all that great until a year+ after its release. Still, unless some of the CK bugs are fixed, I'm not sure if we can expect all that many functional large mods.

Whiterun looks amazing now. My only problem... 4x SSAA now results in my 2gb VRAM being maxed as soon as I load up the game,
and the result is 20fps in the image below (6950 unlocked and overclocked to 940/1400). MSAA is fine at around ~1800mb used with 35fps in the same location, but SSAA just looks
so much cleaner. :(

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7845/tesv2012030314490381.png

2xSSAA is playable. It holds near 30, but occasionally dips to the low 20s or jumps into low 40s depending on where I am looking. VRAM usage went up to around ~1800mb so after I
ran around the town for a bit. Yeah... this game modded needs a 7970... and I'm only running 1080p.

i havent played skyrim in a very long time and im planning on picking it back up with a new character very soon, so before i do, i must know what mods you are using :D

1. CK has only been out for 2 months.
2. The CK has horrible bugs that affect many of the large/epic mods (navmesh, disappearing objects, etc.). Plus, creating quests is a challenging thing to learn, besides very simple quests.
3. Modding scene doesn't seem to be as big as it was for Oblivion.
4. Skyrim is much better than Oblivion in quite a few areas so mods like Unique Landscapes aren't really needed.

And, as I stated earlier, there are some ambitious mods being created (Issgard and Luftahraan are examples) that are going to take months to finish. Oblivion didn't have anything all that great until a year+ after its release. Still, unless some of the CK bugs are fixed, I'm not sure if we can expect all that many functional large mods.

Thanks for the update. I'd been following the mods a bit but I was unaware of the CK issues. And yeah, I guess anything majorly awesome is probably months out.

i just started playing again the other day, and installed about 137 mods.

game is so much better now.

i use

Agriphal’s Collection #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=17260

which is a nice bulk collection of around 105 mods.

plus i downloaded a few others which are mostly weapon and armor mods that can be crafted and some misc stuff like horse armor

its been a great mod collection for someone that hasnt played ina while and doesnt want to worry about mod conflicts ect.

Last edited:
Downloaded some mods and I haven't had Skyrim installed in a long time.

Bh0XN.png

Now that's clever! Are you using it? How's it working for you?

I haven't tried it yet but I think I will later today with some music from Morrowind and Oblivion.

Edit: I gave it a test run for 20 minutes and I found nothing wrong with it. In fact, it was great.

Last edited:
I need a mod that adds more health to all the mobs - lets say double or triple or even more. The mod should do just that nothing else. Is there anything like that?

I need a mod that adds more health to all the mobs - lets say double or triple or even more. The mod should do just that nothing else. Is there anything like that?

I think one for dragons specifically would be cool. Once you hit level 40 or so you can kill pretty much any of them in like 3-4 hits.

OTOH, they are common enough that I don't want to get locked into some epic 10-minute-long battle every time one of them decides to spawn.

Dwemer Halogen Glow Sticks
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=15091

I think one for dragons specifically would be cool. Once you hit level 40 or so you can kill pretty much any of them in like 3-4 hits.

OTOH, they are common enough that I don't want to get locked into some epic 10-minute-long battle every time one of them decides to spawn.

There are a few mods that deal with dragons specifically, such as Deadly Dragons and Mighty Dragons 2, though they do more than just add health. As for adding health to all enemies, I haven't seen a mod like that.

Back