sli and 45 nm....realistic option?

joshlet

n00b
my enthusiasm for getting a sexy new intel rig has been swayed by the supposed fact sli and 45 nm right now are not feasible. the 680i chipset is apparently 65 nm only, which means i would have to wait even longer to get a mobo that is both 45 nm and sli compliant. i'm totalyl feeling the p35 chipset for the 45 nm compliance feature alone, but what about sli?

i feel like intel is pusposely trying to get me to buy old hardware so i have no choice but to upgrade to what i want at a later time. i suppose when it comes down to it, its both simple and understandable marketing.

anyways, getting back to the topic at hand. my goals are to make a computer by the end of june, beginning of july. i was hoping to go 45nm and SLI, but that doesnt seem to be a viable option.

what should i do?

don't worry. Nvidia won't miss out on the potential profit they can grab with pushing out a new motherboard that will support 45nm processors. If they don't get it fast enough for you :)p ), you can always grab an intel motherboard and get hacked SLI Drivers. there are also a couple of guides out there which can teach you to mod your own nvidia drivers. Just search around on google.

my enthusiasm for getting a sexy new intel rig has been swayed by the supposed fact sli and 45 nm right now are not feasible. the 680i chipset is apparently 65 nm only, which means i would have to wait even longer to get a mobo that is both 45 nm and sli compliant. i'm totalyl feeling the p35 chipset for the 45 nm compliance feature alone, but what about sli?

i feel like intel is pusposely trying to get me to buy old hardware so i have no choice but to upgrade to what i want at a later time. i suppose when it comes down to it, its both simple and understandable marketing.

anyways, getting back to the topic at hand. my goals are to make a computer by the end of june, beginning of july. i was hoping to go 45nm and SLI, but that doesnt seem to be a viable option.

what should i do?
nvidia is the problem here, not intel.

So let me get this straight, you're wanting to build a pc at the end of june/early july, so you'll be getting a 65nm cpu anyways, right? There won't be any 45nm cpu's out yet that I'm aware of. If you're looking to be more futureproof by getting a mobo now for a 45nm cpu later down the road, you're probably better off getting a cheaper 650i or 680i LT mobo and buying a new one with your 45nm cpu next year. Or hold off buying a new mobo until nvidia releases a new version of their chipsets. So if you're dead set on buying a new mobo here soon, you have to ask yourself which is more important to you, the SLI support or the 45nm support? Cause at this moment, it's looking one or the other.

So if I were you, I would wait till the projected intel july price cuts come, and then buy a high end cpu and a SLI mobo and skip the initial 45nm chips all together :) Or if you can play the waiting game for a little longer than that, see what AMD can bring to the table. By then nvidia should have a new SLI chipset out for 45nm intel as well.

I thought I read somewhere that 680i boards that supported 1333mhz fsb would support the 45nm processors

bumpin, because I was hopin to be able to upgrade to penryn with this mobo. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Just buy an 8800 and you won't need SLI ;-) IMO SLI isn't worth the trouble. Want to play anything and everything at 1920x1200? GTX is there. My 8800 gts 640 plays everything I've thrown at it with full goodies at 1920x1200.

The 680i will probably work (it's just a core voltage change, right?), though I imagine newer chipsets will be able to hit higher FSB's and therefore much higher overclocks.

Back