SLI for Notebooks

WOW, SLI, X2 CPU, 19" screen!

might as well just buy a desktop, your allways going to need AC power or a backpack with a frame to carry it and its batts.

cool stuff though.. its seems like a better soultion might jsut be a dual GPU board instead of 2 seprate cards.

Good for lan parties.. but thats about it.. Expect to have to plug that thing in everywhere you go. Battery life probably wont exceed 2 hours.

It's the ultimate LAN option put it that way, your paying for portability more than anything. Looks good though, but would like to see what Dell come up with to counter it.

lloose said:
Good for lan parties.. but thats about it.. Expect to have to plug that thing in everywhere you go. Battery life probably wont exceed 2 hours.
It won't exceed 2 minutes let alone hours.

The Equalizer said:
It won't exceed 2 minutes let alone hours.

Lol.. they could take out the battery all together and make it the first QUAD sli laptop rofl :D

Its almost a waste.. you can build an SLI SFF for cheaper than you could buy an SLI notebook i bet.. but.. it is cool that they managed to fit it into a laptop.. ultimate LAN party solution is right..

As for batterly life.. DR laptops are not meant to run for a long time without being plugged in.. they are meant to be a very portable desktop.. that being said.. the GeForce GO 7900 GTX probably doesnt use alot of power (the desktop version uses a considerable amount less than the 7800) but with two, it will probably have an hour and a half to two hour battery life.. depending on the applications running..

I do think its about time for higher capacity battiers.. or at least a new technology for batteries.

I still don't understand the point of notebook SLI. 2 mid-powered cards only (go 7600 SLI, for example) equal one fast card (go 7800GTX) and probably uses more power.

2 high powered cards use a lot of power and the form factor and cooling requirements shoot way up. How big is the market for 12lb laptops with 2lb 150W power bricks? :p Yeah it's more compact than a SFF case + KB/mouse + monitor for LANs, but it's still not a very portable laptop.

I don't think SLI will affect battery life much while on battery since people don't game on battery power, or at least I never did on my 4200go, x300 or go 6800 laptops. The unused MXM module can be powered down and the laptop would work with normal power saving on the other video card. IOW, if the laptop can run at 4 hours with "typical" (running 2D Windows apps) use with one video card, typical use battery life with SLI should be the same.

i can understand a single 7900gtx go but SLI, like poaching eggs on your lap.... :rolleyes:

While I haven't used one of these laptops yet to see how long the battery lasts gaming, when not gaming it should be a pretty power efficient beast. NVIDIA is using some new power saving features that cuts down on power as much as possible with their new mobile nForce4 and SLI setup. They are able to cut power to peripheral connections, chipset gating and CPU and GPU gating when those things aren't needed. Most impressive they can keep the CPU in a sleep state while things like USB transfers or SATA transfers are going on, very interesting stuff. Also, the GPUs run at under 1 volt, we aren't talking desktop GPUs here, these are much more power friendly.

Now when gaming that is a different story as everything is powered up, hopefully one day I'll be able to try it out and see how long it lasts.

1c3d0g said:
And I'm confident you have the numbers to back up this statement. :)

Of course he does. No-one around these here parts pulls stuff out of their arses. ;)

right...and its going to be able to go on top of your lap? itll burn ur skin off with the heat!!

Well baseing it off the battery life a a laptop with a AMD64 and a singal 7800GTX, I dont think 2 mins is far off...

Gamming (crappy when off the battery due to slower CPU speeds) kills some of those lappys in less than an hour. and they only have 2 GPU and one CPU. So unless the 7900GTX go uses only 50% of the power the 7800GTXgo dose than im sure battery life is going to suck. Or like I already said, larger heaver batteries are going to be used. (witch IMO defeats the propos of a lappy in the first place)

My self I run a Pentium-M 2.0Ghz, 2gb DDR2-533, X600 128mb GPU, 60gb HDD 5.4k, and a widescreen LCD and get over 4 hours of battery life when running 1.3Ghz 1.1v. (I use RightMark to controll my CPU clocks and volts) I wouldnt trade my laptop in for anything right now. I love it, its a perfect all around setup for me. If I want to game, I use my box.

I just got to wonder how often someone will really game on a laptop... And I mean real gamming that will take advantage of 7800GTX SLI.

lets think about this....
-On a 4+ hour flight = not enough battery life to occupy the entire flight, or even half…
-On a 45min-2 hours flight= I wouldn’t even bother carrying around that heavy ass thing for a short flight.
-On the road? = when wile im driving? My kid would be on it more than me watching movies…
-at work? Well im working! So no not there..
At home? Well, I got my desktop for that with a better display, better keyboard and mouse?
-What if I had a Dock station at home instead of a desktop computer? Well.. It would never leave the docking station because it too heavy and power hungry to take anywhere..
- At a LAN party… sorry but laptop screens don’t cut it for me when doing a lot of gamming. Not to mention Ghosting with the built in LCDs. So I would need to bring my LCD, and keyboard and mouse. Might as well bring my desktop too. (or a SFF pc)

I find most of my laptop gamming is small games, for fun (like plasma pong) real quick on breaks and short flights. Long flights get movies NOT GAMES, how can you game on a palne anyway? Mouse???? Where??? Not plays BF2 with a peg or touch pad…

Sorry, but SLI in a notebook = pointless, I have yet to hit a limitation of my current standard GPU laptop. Shit it even plays BF2 800x600 just fine (thx to 2gb me thinks)

Back