SLI n00b with questions

PCBliss

Gawd
I recently ordered the eVGA SLI Mobo/7800GT combo, so I will be running SLI with that combo and my current 7800GT... Ive never used SLI before so I thought I would just touch base concerning a few things...

Im assuming the SLI bridge connector comes with the board?

For games that do recognize and use SLI, do i have to enable it in the game or just in the nvidia display settings?

How do you overclock cards in SLI? The reason I ask is because my current 7800GT is clocked at 470/1100 stock, and the one that comes with the combo runs at 445/1050 i believe. So i would like to run them together at 470/1100 (both will be running with NV5s)

Am I wrong in thinking that two 7800GTs in SLI will fit with NV5s on them?

Other than that, any hints, tricks or tips I should know about running SLI in general?

the sli bridge will come with the mobo.

for games that use sli, you dont have to do anything, it will automatically run in sli.

clock your original card back before adding the other one. if you use coolbits it will clock both cards together.

cant help with that mobo im afraid.

1. The bridge will come with the motherboard.

2. Almost any game can use SLI. Check out www.slizone.com for info on setting up SLI profiles for games that don't have a profile included in the driver. Also check out a utiliy called nHancer. I used it for a little while, but the profiler built in the nVidia driver works fine for me.

3. NV5 is a cooler I'm guessing. Don't know the layout of your motherboard but a picture of it should tell you if you've got the room.

4. If you've used the Coolbits registry setting to unlock the advanced driver options for an nVidia card in the past, it works the same for SLI. The clock settings are applied to both cards when running in SLI.

5. Overall, there isn't a need to do anything else than setup a profile to benefit from SLI, but you might want to check http://www.tweakguides.com and tweaking sites for any game specific settings that might give you a boost for a particular game.

Happy SLIing!

Back