slow boot

anobium

n00b
The title is misleading, my computer boots fine about 30 seconds, but after that it takes a couple of minutes for everything to settle down.load before I can get on the internet. I have tried msconfig and just loaded the basics but this doesnt make any difference. I have virus checked and checked for adware/malware ect, comes up fine. I also get the firewall isnt on warning for a second when it boots up, but then goes away and its fine. Also windows defender asked me for some confirmation to changes to the firewall execeptions which I agreed to, not sure what they are for it says windows media player network sharing? about 5 of these entries is this normal?. Sorry about all the questions my main one is why does the computer boot fine but it takes 2 minutes before I can do anything?.

athlon 64 3700

1 gig 2700 ram

x800 pro 256

150 gig sata hard drive.

windows mce 2005.

nod32.(trial)

When you boot up, open up the task manager and take a screenshot and post it on here. There are probably some services which take a long time to get settled down and finish stealing your resources.

How do I copy the task manager I know its ctr/alt/del also it will not show all the processes in the window, theres 52. I dont hink this will help you I have had a look and none show cpu usage its all system idle process 98%.

Most people have only about 35 to to 45 processes running on boot, so I'd be willing to bet quite a few of your 52 could be removed from started. That's what I'd look into first.

As far the screen capture, ALT+Print Screen takes a screenshot of the active window. Then, once settled, paste it into a graphics application, save it, and post it.

as Im writing this my commit charge is

total 444028
limit 2518708
peak 628116

dont know what that means is that bad?

as Im writing this my commit charge is

total 444028
limit 2518708
peak 628116

dont know what that means is that bad?

Is means that about 440mb of stuff is loading into either the page file or RAM from the hard drive when you boot up. My commit charge is around 130mb right now. I think, basically, you just have too much loading up when your boot.

That allways happens, with every os....

For me vista takes about 15 seconds to "cool down" after login, which isnt bad at all and is a lot shorter than it is in XP (about 1- 1.5 mins)

Its even shorter if you put it into the vista sleep mode, theres virtually no "cool down" at all for me. You just press the power button and im logged in and ready to go in no longer than 5 seconds.

Im using the 64 bit vista btw, which might explain the good preformance, but the good preformance in only in the OS its self, games run at like 15fps and are unplayable at my "XP settings" in vista im trying to see if i can reinstall vista to change to the 32 bit

Wow, 52! I can get my laptop to boot with 16. What's your commit charge?
52 processes isn't necessarily bad.

it is possible for 16 processes to slow a system down more than 52 processes.. depends what they are...

BTW I'm currently at 59 processes with 2 days uptime and my computer is not slow at all. I like to utilize my hardware to its potential.

52 processes isn't necessarily bad.

it is possible for 16 processes to slow a system down more than 52 processes.. depends what they are...

BTW I'm currently at 59 processes with 2 days uptime and my computer is not slow at all. I like to utilize my hardware to its potential.

But, when there's is a lack of system resources in the first place (i'm guessing the OP has 1GB of RAM), there is a good chance that having so many processing running in the background will be causing the slowdowns.

However, slowdowns can be common after exiting a game, for example, because most of the idle tasks, which make general computer tasks faster, will have been pushed down the priority chain. At start up, these processes shouldn't be slowing the computer down but, in fact, helping to speed it up.

I never said the processes aren't the problem.

1GB isn't really "lacking" for Windows XP either, especially for just booting up the OS.

anobium, look in the task manager when you boot up an see how much physical memory you have available in the "Performance" tab.

physical memory is around 58000 available, think I found the problem mainly creative mediasource got rid of that as I rarely use it, only need it when I copy music to my zen 20 gig which media player no longer supports thanks microsoft. My player isnt a play for sure one oh well not going to buy new player just so medoa player supports it. Anyway I digress im at 50 procesess, I do have a tvcard which loaded up software got rid of that software as well because I use media center, so now not that bad. Will look into buying a core2duo system, but would need whole new motherboard, memory graphics card ect. Anyone want to buy my system?:D

52 processes at boot!?!?!?! HOLY FRAK, STARBUCK!!! :D

Ugh, god, another one of these threads... maybe I should make the definitive XP boot optimization thread one and for all. It's been a long time coming, that's for damned sure. Hmmm...

Anyway, I didn't see anyone mention our old standby: Bootvis.

Regardless of what Microsoft propaganda you come across that tries to tell you it's useless to end-users (because Microsoft doesn't want people calling in for support on an unsupported non-end-user product), it really does make a huge difference when it's used appropriately.

I'm not going to go into the lengthy process again for the bazillionth freaking time, suffice to say what djnes said earlier about finding processes that simply are not necessary would be a fantastic starting point.

Personally I would recommend against using msconfig even though it does tend to offer the easiest way to modify startup behavior. Because it's so easy, most people don't learn nuthin' in the process, which basically means it's a waste of time as a useful tool - at least in my opinion.

One major culprit for slow boot times (and increased processes at startup): the number of icons you have in your (System) Tray. If you've got more than the basic 3 - Volume, AV, NIC/network activity - then it might be time to do some trimming there also. Those icons are tied to programs that require resources to load at boot time (slowing you down) and then they require resources to stay active (RAM, probably some CPU time, etc).

But it's the fact that those damned things have to load each time you boot that really causes the slowdowns.

As for the system, I'd say it's just fine, but if you're gonna be a [H]ardForum member, it's almost a rite of passage around here to tweak your boxen to it's finest and tightest state before dumping it.

Remember: Gotta be learning something, or you're gettin' nuthin' done. :p

Good luck...

Back