Slow Loads (aka Everything), Long Boots XP (Seems Like 5 Min)

Major_A

[H]ard|Gawd
This hard drive is driving me nuts. It is my brothers in law computer and the hard drive is a little over a year old. Out of the blue it started taking a long time to load Windows. Now everything has a long delay. I think it's the hard drive well because everything else is fine, or so it seems. I checked earlier with 5 spyware programs and 2 AV's and all was clean. I changed the IDE cable and it didn't help. I swapped the IDE connectors and that didn't help either. Here are some pics, all suggestions are more than welcome.

Mode.jpg

Fragmentation.jpg

BootLogXP.jpg

ATTO.jpg

HDTune.jpg

I knew it was a tough question but not one reply? All I can say is thank goodness it isn't my computer.

I have didn't help. I also ran Registry Mechanic and TuneUp Utilities 2007 (it has a lot of different apps). In an attempt to see if it was HDD space I uninstalled a lot of old programs. I also ran Driver Cleaner and selected every option in it's list that isn't installed on the machine.

Well, you did not mention what you have tried. That is a waste of my previous reply.

Just go into msconfig and disable all the startup items. See if it boots up faster or not.

Already disabled everything non-essential to booting via CCleaner. It's not just boots everything is taking forever to open/run.

Here's a couple of thins I noticed:
According to ATTO you write faster than you read. This is rather peculiar. Maybe re-run ATTO with a larger ``total length''?
According to HDTune your (read?) STR is all over the place. If that test is sequential, that should not happen.

suggestions:
  • Have you tried to run Maxtor's HDD utility on that drive? Maybe it is defective?
  • Does ScanDisk report any errors?
  • I had an IDE hard drive give me major trouble until I realized that one of the IDE connector pins was broken. Have you checked for this?
  • As unlikely as it may seem, you could have tried two defective cables in a row.
  • Have you tried a LinuxLive CD and using 'dd' to copy a large part of the HDD to /dev/null? What type of performance does that yield?
  • *shot in the dark* Have you looked for any rootkits? If they are poorly coded, I could see them affecting the disk performance.

I forgot about the Maxtor utility. Slap a duh sticker on my head.

When I ran chkdsk it was taking so long I got up and watched some baseball for a while. Next time I'll run it and actually pay attention.

I haven't checked the pins, I will however.

It is possible, I've had it happen before. I was getting pretty pissed off until I tried another cable.

I have several LinuxLive CDs but I haven't tried this yet. I'll take one with me when I head back over there.

I haven't done that either. You know of any good rootkit removers?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back