Sluggish Vista Perfomance on a Fast Machine

Hollow4

Limp Gawd
Last August i built a pretty good computer and it was working great until i upped the ram for 4 to 8 gigs. I reformatted and now it is soooooo slow. I have d/led all of the updates and installed all the drivers. I just cant for the life of me figure out why adding an extra 4 gigs of ram would cause a super fast, responsive system, to become sluggish and unresponsive.

specs - original
q6600
GIGABYTE GA-P35C
OCZ Vista upgrade 4 gigs ddr2 800
Geforce 8800 gts 640
500 gig h/d
Vista 64

the extra ram
OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB ddr2 800

So i bought the same RAM and installed it. I did the mem check within vista and it reports that there are no problems. Any ideas on what is causing the monster slow down in my computer??

4x2GB is slow. Seen other post on it before too. Drop it back down to 4gb and see how it performs, if you have 4x1GB.

any reasoning for 4x2 being slow?? i had 2x2 for almost a year and it was really fast

4x2GB is slow. Seen other post on it before too. Drop it back down to 4gb and see how it performs, if you have 4x1GB.

Sure the timings may be more relaxed, but it should not cause serious performance degradation.

You may want to check your BIOS for any options related to memory holes or that sort of thing.

Also, you want to make sure the timings are still where they should be. I don't think it would slow the RAM down to the point that you'd be here asking about it, but check it anyway.

My rig has 4x2GB and it has absolutely no problems with speed. Everything is very quick and responsive.

I'd check for a BIOS update and/or clear the CMOS. In the past, some boards have had some issues with using all 4 memory slots, as opposed to 2, but I don't know if those type issues are present in today's systems.

works great, BIOS update did it.

Ahhhhh the joy of 8 gigs of ram

Thanks for the suggestions

Sure the timings may be more relaxed, but it should not cause serious performance degradation.
I know, just some combination's of 4x2 just don't work well though. Not every time, but some times. There's been numerous post here over time. Obviously his bios update fixed it though.

i installed the ram in May and then took off so i havent really used the computer since then, but when i installed the new ram i updated the Bios and it looks like that Bios had a problem with it and that it was fixed in the next version.

No worries, it works and its happily chugging along

there shouldnt be a problem with the timings because it the ram was a matched pair, meaning they were all running the same timings.

The performance degradation will be minimal to none. There is really no reason for 4x2GB to be any slower than 4GB (either 4x1GB or 2x2GB) other than the motherboard/chipset being the limiting factor.

The performance degradation will be minimal to none. There is really no reason for 4x2GB to be any slower than 4GB (either 4x1GB or 2x2GB) other than the motherboard/chipset being the limiting factor.
qft

This is a really oldschool problem which I was under the assumption had more or less gone now a days, obviously thats not entirely true.

Using all RAM slots in older hardware used to give issues, the same with using max capacity on each slot. Glad to heara bios update fixed your issues :)

I was considering 8gb of RAM for my new build but couldn't justify it, I like to stay ahead of the curve nad have been running 4gb since before vistas release, but just dont go near the 4gb limit.

Back