Small but strong multi-output power supplies?

AreEss

2[H]4U
Okay, I have a new problem. I need to build a custom disk enclosure for my server, including a power supply. "That's not a problem, AreEss! Use an AT PSU!" Except it doesn't fit. I've got 3.25" of vertical space. Whoops. Lots of horizontal and lots of depth, but no vertical. "So use a 1U ATX PSU!"
... right, did I mention there's absolutely no computer inside? It's just drives and fans. That's it. So I was looking at Meanwell's options in dual output, but they only go up to 120W. No, that's not enough; the drives are 10KRPM and suck down power like it grows on trees.

So, anyone know of any +5/+12V output SMALL standalone switch power supplies that can do about 275-300W?
(Original numbers were off, used the wrong model drive. Absolute peak is 326W, typical is only 178W and idle is <125W.)

Meanwell makes plenty of larger supplys. Try anything from the S-210-12 to the S-320-12
and they are all less than 2" thick. You can find most of them at http://www.rpelectronics.com/ however there are probably many other places that have them.

Edit: I realize that these aren't dual output, but with a little work, 12V can become 5 :)

You do realize that you jump 2 pins on an ATX psu and it turns into an AT psu, right?

If you do decide to use a shuttle, i've got one here (200W, but ran my 6800GT and my 3.4ES just fine :) ) that I could ship for a small amount :) I could even wire up a rocker switch to turn it on :)

If that doesn't work, there are many options to choose. One only has to look :)

This is a pretty good power supply for the money. I powered my scanner computer off of one of them (xp1700+ with cd & hard drive, plus a couple small fans). Good company, check out some of the other power supplies they have as well, one of them might do the trick for you. :)

1RUs won't work.
array2.jpg

That's the housing split apart, not showing the full construction. The two shinythings in back are 5"x3.14"x1.25" 130W +5/+12V PSUs. Passively cooled, too. The 9 boxy things are drives, before adapters which take them another 3" to the back w/cabling.
As you can see, ATX/AT/1RU is NOT going to work, like I said. I have 5.75" from the back of the drives to the rear.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie..._link=1&track=022f4f39eb-9dfcd&pt=bidpay&sp=0
That's what the adapters look like. Except they'll be going to a passthrough mount at the rear. Space is very tight.

only thing I can think of is possibly using an mATX, stripped out of its casing, to the right of the 2 PSU's you have back there.

hignaki said:
+12v only had 5A, but if it covers for ya...

Yah, that's what's killing me most. I kind of need mucho +12V amperage - at least 25A to be safe at startup. (No spin up DLY possible, so I can't cheat with a 6 second delay.)
Gonna have to email PCP&C and see about a custom TurboCool 3001RU. They'll probably be cheaper than a custom Meanwell or Cosel, too. ;)

Back to square one. Did it in SketchUp with the frame (mmm, steel with aluminum side panels,) and the PCP&C is just a hair (almost literally; .0125") too tall to go vertical, and it's far too wide to go horizontal. And I just can't get any more depth. ARGH.

Is it a custom case? If so, why cant you just make it that much taller?

Have you tried fitting the aeformentioned shuttle PSU with your program/measuring?

Dew said:
Is it a custom case? If so, why cant you just make it that much taller?

Because I typo'd; .125". I don't have another .125 inches (that's 1/8") vertical available because of where it has to go. As is, it's basically going to have to be wedged in.

hignaki said:
Have you tried fitting the aeformentioned shuttle PSU with your program/measuring?

Again, I NEED 25 AMPS ON THE +12V. Shuttle doesn't have a PSU with that kind of amperage. I don't care what you ran; it's totally irrelevant because the draw is completely different. I'm talking about 10 drives in here; it's all +5/+12 draw, and because of the type, I can't do delay-spinup to reduce amperage draw. (1.4A +5V/2.4A +12V per drive at spin up.)

Back