Small Case - NEW project

Come on now, don't need me to spell it out for you guys. I catch the cold a lot ;)

the interior layout for the NZXT Rogue (as well as the Raidmax IceCube) is more or less identical to the QPack with the exception of the internal brace above the heat sink fan and a second hard drive cage. Both will fit full size ATX PSUs with a DVD drive in place.
Were you referring to 1200 watt PSUs ? Have you thought about a 5.25" bay PSU to power the crossfire set up mounted under a slim DVD drive?
I also wanted to bring the AOpen G325 / 326 to your attention:
the power supply is mounted to the back of the case like a back pack. Here is the internal layout:

Very interesting. Very big for a compact. I never considered mounting the PSU externally, this is actually interesting. But the way the prototype is designed now, I don't think it would decrease the volume that much, if any. It might in the absolute, but not really in terms of overall footprint. And it disturbs the good airflow we have now.

I did consider the use of a 5.25 bay PSU, but you still need a regular ATX PSU, or maybe you can fit a SFX. At the end, I decided to go with 1 5.25" bay (for overall case size) and no extra PSU because:
1. The 5.25" bay PSU to power the potential crossfire setup is expensive.
2. The 5.25" bay PSU + ATX/SFX PSU is more volume than just 1 ATX PSU.
3. 1 5.25" bay instead of 2. I can't use the only 5.25" bay for a PSU.

I looked into the 1U PSU, which goes easely to 500-600W but they get expensive. It seems more interesting to offer something widely compatible rather than limit the user choices and increase build cost.

3 Questions:

1. What is your faviroite mATX case in terms of design, design only?
2. What is your favorite ITX case in terms of design, design only?
3. What kind of features do you like the most about a case?

Let me know, i'd like to see if I can integrate some of them to this prototype.

1. TT Lanbox Lite, love the front looks but not a fan of the plastic. 2nd place would be the V350, but not a fan of the boxiness. Shoebox ftw.
2. *shrugs* How many are there? MI-100 probably.
3. Question is a bit redundant since the criteria is based on "design, design only"

the lanbox is HUGE and the internal design is terrible. I owned one and made the decision to transplant everything into an SG02 when my DVD drive died, just because they are that awful to work on.

So, can we conclude that a case that would be a nice brushed aluminum (or maybe shinny like the TT Lanbox), smaller than the SG02 but with a better layout would be the "perfect" case?
I'm getting ready to move ahead with the prototype and I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything when it comes to the exterior design.

the lanbox is HUGE and the internal design is terrible. I owned one and made the decision to transplant everything into an SG02 when my DVD drive died, just because they are that awful to work on.
Off track much? He asked about aesthetics. The size comparison is a bit overstated, it's not that massively different unlike many's perceptions.
SANY0603_6f2da.Large.jpg

So, can we conclude that a case that would be a nice brushed aluminum (or maybe shinny like the TT Lanbox), smaller than the SG02 but with a better layout would be the "perfect" case?
I'm getting ready to move ahead with the prototype and I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything when it comes to the exterior design.

Probably. SG01/2 size is not bad, the thing that sold it to me at least was the shoebox design. Others like towers, some go for boxes (v350).

The difference in size between the prototype and the SG02 is probably close to the gap between the SG02 and the TT lanbox.
It is hard sometimes to lose the few extra inches but I believe that in the end, it's worth it.
Especially if you want to be able to carry the case around.

I understand what you're going for (I was going to make my own ITX gamer for the same reason, I'm already waiting for the SG-05 to launch). My rig right now comes close to what you want, where we disagree is the choice of cooler.

I have an SG-02 F. It has a 1000W PSU (Ultra X3), Samsung DVD burner (Samsung makes some of the shortest drives), and will be switched over to a GeminII in the next week or two. While not a tower, the GeminII is more than enough to handle an Intel Quad when lined up beneath the PSU's GIANT 135mm fan. The PSU will run ANY video card combination that will physically fit in the case- you don't need a 1200W supply for this. If anything, running a higher card even helps cool the processor here- higher draw from the PSU makes the fan spin faster, which it wouldn't do otherwise. :)

I understand what you're going for (I was going to make my own ITX gamer for the same reason, I'm already waiting for the SG-05 to launch). My rig right now comes close to what you want, where we disagree is the choice of cooler.

I have an SG-02 F. It has a 1000W PSU (Ultra X3), Samsung DVD burner (Samsung makes some of the shortest drives), and will be switched over to a GeminII in the next week or two. While not a tower, the GeminII is more than enough to handle an Intel Quad when lined up beneath the PSU's GIANT 135mm fan. The PSU will run ANY video card combination that will physically fit in the case- you don't need a 1200W supply for this. If anything, running a higher card even helps cool the processor here- higher draw from the PSU makes the fan spin faster, which it wouldn't do otherwise. :)

The GeminII is good. But as I previously mentioned, PSU are rated for around 25C (incoming air temperature). So now, imagine that you have a quad OC at 3.2-3.8GHz (or more) on air, and the GeminII to cool it. Chances are the air living the heatsink will be closer to 45-55C, under heavy load. Generally, in a cramped case like the SG02, the ambient temperature inside the case is already over 25C.
So now, if your PSU takes in 30-55C air, you are going to seriously reduce its MTBF (cf. problems happening with the Qpack and the PSU taking warm air from the GP area).
As far as I know, a good 650-700W PSU should be more than enough for most of us. So yes, no need for a 1200W or even a 1000W PSU, not even for a crossfire setting. But there is always somebody that wants more ;).
Keep also in mind that extreme overclocking requires more than the GeminII if you want to keep decent temperature and be stable. The SG02 is a great case. The idea is to make one better, at least for the extreme gamer. And smaller overall. One that will look good in your living room ;). A case that you could pretty much buy for any applications: Lanparty (light and compact), overclocking (compatible with high end heatsinks and PSU, well ventilated), HTPC (silent, high quality finish), ...

The SG05 - way too big for my taste when it comes to a ITX format. Love the 120mm fan. But not the overall size.
I don't really see what it brings compared to the APEX MI 100. Expect maybe a different look...

The GeminII is good. But as I previously mentioned, PSU are rated for around 25C (incoming air temperature).
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMxNyw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA== said:
Test #4 is equal to approximately 100% of the rated capacity of the X3 1000W at 45c
You are right, the manufacturer only certifies it up to 25C (Link), but I also don't expect to ever come anywhere NEAR 100% of its capacity- especially in a mATX case. That gives me more than enough peace of mind.
The SG05 - way too big for my taste when it comes to a ITX format. Love the 120mm fan. But not the overall size.
I don't really see what it brings compared to the APEX MI 100. Expect maybe a different look...
Agreed, my original project was to be half the length and only fit a 4670- not a 4850. The rest of the design was close enough that I could hack an SG-05 into what I originally wanted.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1364920
I was thinking two 3.5" drives mounted laterally across the top, no optical drive, and a front 120mm intake with ports and buttons lining the right and left side.

You should check this topic, which I'm sure you did (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1369524&highlight=APEX). I think it kind of show how much you can fit in an ITX case (with PCI Slots).
The main modification to reduce the size of an APEX MI100 and keep the optical drive is to change the PSU (shape, placement, etc), and maybe go to a slim dvd drive.
I think it is possible to have an ITX case that is no higher nor wider than the APEX MI100 (without modding) but shorter, with better ventilation. Shoebox style but more compact. That's why I was saying I was not that excited about the SG05 except for the way it looks maybe.
The dilemma is: would people rather have an ITX case very compact with a HD 4670 or an APEX MI100 that can fit a 4850?

Back