Small hardware

barefootbilly

Limp Gawd
I for some reason am really fascinated by building a computer in a small confined space. small boxes and that one in the toy truck ideas come to mind. Though I know nothing yet, where do people find such small stuff? I know you can buy slim cd/dvd drives, but how about motherboards and such?

I know you can by mATX (micro-atx) motherboards, but they are still not very small. I know there is an even smaller format, but I forgot what it was called. Somebody posted in the worklog sections saying they were using a mobo that could fit into a drive bay. If I remember correctly it wasn't very powerful though. You might search that forum to see if you could find it or you could try a google search on micro computer hardware, or something similar.

mini-itx, i herd somewhere that nano-itx was due any time now in nano the board 12 cm by 12 cm (the size of your averge cd or 120mm fan) and the cpu is the size of a penny, now that is small

damn...that's small...christ! it doesn't have that many features, but i guess its good for looks, right?

Besides Mini- and Nano-ITX, there are lots of other forms lesser known to the "modder." The PC/104 specification includes a decent-sized family of motherboards and expansion boards. There are SBCs--single board computers--in a wide variety of sizes. I have seen board areas as small as that of a deck of cards. It just depends on your budget, your amount of knowledge in this area, and your application requirements.

This will keep you busy for a while, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.mini-itx.com/

I've also paged an old-school modder from the [H] who created a truly small computer a few years back.

Back