small, low power HTPC

Corporal79

Gawd
I cut the cable cord about a year ago and have been strictly using an AppleTV with iTunes to satisfy my needs and it's been great. I would occasionally watch some live OTA TV if I felt the need as well. I moved my TV to an outside wall with no coax drop and I've tried using my Mohu Leaf antenna in the TV's new location and I can't get good enough signal no matter where I move it and the approval factor from my wife having the antenna on the wall is a no go.

I have multiple HDMI cables run in the wall which has been sealed up so running new coax is not going to happen. I have a coax drop on a perpendicular wall that is concealed inside a built in cabinet which is where I'm hoping to build an eye pleasing HTPC with HDMI out to my TV.

Can I use spare parts and build a pc that resides in my basement that has a cablecard in it that will do all the recording and what not to my Synology and access it through something like a Celeron NUC with plex or xbmc on it? Or does the machine with the cablecard in it running some front end need to be the machine I'm accessing to watch tv and or watch recorded shows, downloaded movies and music streaming?

I'm open to building something new as long as it's small looks good to the eye.

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know what I can clarify to help. School me!

If the machine in the basement is going to be recording copy once content or DRM protected content, I am assuming using media center, you will be unable to stream it with a NUC or the like. The only way to do it would be through an official extender or something like a Ceton Echo.

Sounds like I'll need a single machine to do all the work. No problem as long as I can put something together that is small and doesn't look like a computer sitting on the shelf. I'm probably looking for micro-atx then?

small micro-atx mobo with a small case that can fit a cable card

Last edited:
Look into HDHomeRun Network tuners. If you're wanting to watch OTA, then do not get the PRIME card as it requires a CableCARD. Get the dual tuner. Then build whatever you want in the living room w/ wireless connectivity.

My HTPC is built inside an SilverSTone GD06 case. Very pleasing to the eyes IMHO. I had a PRIME card on my network, but since I've cut the Cable cord I can't use it. Gonna end up getting the dual tuner so I can use an HD Antenna to watch the local OTA channels if I wish.

Back