Small SSD for O.S. Large for programs

mlapgw

Gawd
I recently bought a 512 M4 SSD. I have not yet installed it.
The prices are nice and I can afford to buy another smaller drive (120gb or less).

Is it a good idea to buy a small drive for the O.S. and use the large one for games and my AutoCad or is that just silly and a waste of money?

I would get a separate for the uses you mentioned. I'm planning on doing just that when 512GB models are a bit more in my affordability range.

can be nice but possible waste if your wont come any where near filling the new one

I don't think it's a very good idea. Small drives are slower than big ones, and you'll either end up with wasted space on the small drive (if you got one too big for the OS), or have to fiddle with managing it even though you have another huge SSD available (if you got a smaller one). It isn't like hard drives where you'd want to split access across two different drives - with SSDs there won't be any performance benefit. The only possible reason to do it would be so you could more easily create an image or backup of the OS, but I don't think that outweighs the negatives.

I would say it will be fine if your definition of small is a 128GB SSD. Anything smaller than that I would avoid especially cause you can have a 128GB drive for less than $70 US on sale..

I would say it will be fine if your definition of small is a 128GB SSD. Anything smaller than that I would avoid especially cause you can have a 128GB drive for less than $70 US on sale..

Depends on the brand of drive (and where you buy it).

Here's MicroCenter's current pricing for the SAMSUNG 830 series SSDs:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294945779+4294965086

Note the pricing for the 256GB model of the 830 - I remember SATA *hard drives* that were smaller being more expensive less than a decade ago. (No, I am NOT kidding; in particular, I'm referring to the Maxtor, now Seagate, 6LS200 SATA-150 HDD which I bought in then-new retail packaging at Office Depot for $249.99 - in 2004.)

If that ain't a boggle factor, I have no idea what would be.

Back