Smartphone for tech dumb wife

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Yeah she wants to facebook on it. Seems the only reason for her to want a smartphone. I have an old Galaxy S but I think she wants something newer and bigger. Used is ok. Really want to keep it around $150 if at all possible.

Prefer verizon's non contract provider which is called page plus. In our area, verizon tends to be the best coverage with att and sprint about the same.

No contracts. Done with that bs.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone 4 works good with PP, $150 is enough to get a nice VZW iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 works good with PP, $150 is enough to get a nice VZW iPhone 4.

Ah good call. That might be easy enough for her to use too. Didn't even know they had iphone for verizon. lol

I barely use my phone. $12 a month. Basically use mine as an mp3 player and occasional texts about groceries.

Ah good call. That might be easy enough for her to use too. Didn't even know they had iphone for verizon. lol

I barely use my phone. $12 a month. Basically use mine as an mp3 player and occasional texts about groceries.

Get the $80/yr page plus calling card then.

Start her off with the Galaxy S. It's bigger than iPhone and should work fine for facebook and texting. If she likes it but says it's slow, then upgrade her. That's the advantage of now contracts, right?

I have a hard time recommending iphones, but the're perfect for the "tech dumb" people, as you put it.

I would have a hard time recommending any Android phone to a tech-handicapped person, even with Samsung's "easy mode" on their newer phones. iOS or WP would be the best way to go. I had the same requirements for my mom and got her a used iPhone 4 and she has been very happy with it. But she had already been used to using her iPad, so I figured the iPhone would definitely be best to keep things consistent.

Any smart phone with a decent proc/memory combo will work.

One's not for "smarter people" than the other.

You have internet, e-mail, games icon on the main icon page......its really not that hard at all.

I'd recommend an Iphone, or WindowsPhone 8 based phone myself. Mainly due to the fact if you go Droid you'd have to go flagship if you don't want laggy-ness and the like.....

All you need to do is put the facebook icon on the front home screen for her. I don't get why people act like one phone is easier than the other to operate for the tech dumb. Android is shipping 80% of smart phones and those aren't to the 80% of the world that is tech savvy, trust me.

Get iPhone 4S for cheap when people are selling their old phones for iPhone 5S.

I've started both my wife and my mom on Galaxy Android phones, and "tech-dumb" doesn't even begin to describe mom. I don't think she's figured out web browsing on it yet. However it works well for her needs - texting, calling, gaming, reading, in that order. You just need to do the initial install and icon placement and even Android "just works."

I would just get a basic Android phone like one of the older/cheaper models of the Galaxy line. Once you set it up and put apps she'd commonly use on the home screen(s), etc. it should be pretty simple and intuitive to use.

Nokia Lumia 5xx series. My mom is completely oblivious to technology and she figured out (on her own, amazingly) how to set it up with facebook. She never touched facebook prior to this. Seriously my mom could barely type a password on my computer, but somehow she can work this phone

WP8 is really simple to use.

My wife had a droid initially that she hated because of it's "complexity". I got her the Lumia 820 which she immediately loved and figured out on her own.

WP8 all the way.

All you need to do is put the facebook icon on the front home screen for her. I don't get why people act like one phone is easier than the other to operate for the tech dumb. Android is shipping 80% of smart phones and those aren't to the 80% of the world that is tech savvy, trust me.

And those are the people who's phones run like shit and act funny because they think they need Lookout Security and all those other bullshit programs running in the background.

And those are the people who's phones run like shit and act funny because they think they need Lookout Security and all those other bullshit programs running in the background.

More fear mongering from people with a bias. Most of the people I know who are tech dumb as they get are not having a problem.

If she is going to have a plan/contact get the iPhone 5c and call it a day.

People dont seem to understand how difficult it can be to even get a virus on your phone. Im not even sure how unless you download an .apk from a unknown source and then install it.

Back