SmoothWall Help?

GlobalFear

2[H]4U
So I had a spare box and I figured I would play with smoothwall but, I can't get it working. It is an HP with a 1.8 P4 and 512mb of ram. (overkill, I know)

Im running it like this:

CableModem----SmoothWall Box----LinkSys befsr41 wired router----Clients

The wan port doesnt light up on the router or network card but, it works if I plug my cable mdoem into either of them both seem to work. (it lights up!)

<---Network n00b

GlobalFear said:
Im running it like this:

CableModem----SmoothWall Box----LinkSys befsr41 wired router----Clients

The wan port doesnt light up on the router or network card but, it works if I plug my cable modem into either of them both seem to work. (it lights up!)

Ok if you connect the cable modem straight to the router it works. If you connect the modem to the "Red" nic of the Smoothy it works. But when you connect the "Green" nic to the router it doesn't. Sounds like you need to switch your patch cable. You could need a cross over cable.

With first setting it up and learning it you may find it easier to put a switch in after the smoothy rather than a router. Or putting the smoothy between the router and your machine that you are using so that you have an easier time with the configuration and learning the system.

since you're using smoothwall (which i'm not too familiar with but gather it's basically a linux firewall or whatever) i suggest using the linksys as just a switch, i.e. don't use the wan port. you need to plug the internal nic of the pc to either a regular port or the uplink port of the router (i think it would be a regular port). you will also need to disable the router from being a dhcp server and let smoothwall do that. you will also probably need to change the ip addy of the router to say 192.168.1.2 since smoothwall will likely want 192.168.1.1 for itself.

Back