SMP FAH on VMware

There is a dual core patch mentioned in the long SMP thread at F@H Community Forum. I installed it on my X2 3800 and it made the times correct.
I can't find the thread you're talking about; can you link it?
I want to run the VMware client. Will it run in the background of Xp Home?
E6400, Asus P5l-vm, 1gb DDR2 800, 310fsb - 2.47ghz.

Yes, it should work just fine if VMware does.

Any chance of getting this put into a 32 bit distribution? My crappy T2400 laptop doesn't support 64 bit and it is pissing me off :) Damn Thinkpads...

Any chance of getting this put into a 32 bit distribution? My crappy T2400 laptop doesn't support 64 bit and it is pissing me off :) Damn Thinkpads...

you could run VMWare on Linux. If your CPU has VT, then you can run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host.

No can do. The SMP client requires 64-bit ops, so this does too. You might be able to update to a T5600 or T7200 CD2 that does do 64-bit and VT. I'm not sure how far you have to go to get this to work, but it looks like both of those chips should have support for this. Be sure to report if it does work - I have a T2300 desktop right now that I'd love to be able to run this on.

I just linked this thing on FCF. I hope this takes off :D

you could run VMWare on Linux. If your CPU has VT, then you can run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host.

Which, BTW, is really cool being able to run 64bit Linux inside 32bit XP. It sure surprised the hell out of me when it worked.

Cant put Linux on my laptop :/ It is my work one and they frown upon me doing things like that (not to mention that I have to use about 30 Windows apps a day on it :)

No can do. The SMP client requires 64-bit ops, so this does too. You might be able to update to a T5600 or T7200 CD2 that does do 64-bit and VT. I'm not sure how far you have to go to get this to work, but it looks like both of those chips should have support for this. Be sure to report if it does work - I have a T2300 desktop right now that I'd love to be able to run this on.

Would love to do that. I actually asked for a C2D when they were ordering my notebook but this is what they sent me. Since it is only about 2 months old they would probably frown upon me ordering a $400 CPU and voiding the warranty to upgrade it :)

Trying to get this running on a Intel 925 (3 Ghz P4) which supports virtualtization and supports 64Bit. 64 is turned on in the BIOS.. any ideas on why this keeps failing?

Yep. Only the 9x0 series has VT.

AMD chips also have virtualization; I can't find a link right now.

AMD introduced VT with AM2. Not sure if the sempr0ns have it.
According to cat /proc/cpuinfo my Opty 165 does not have VT.

AMD introduced VT with AM2. Not sure if the sempr0ns have it.

My s939 x2 4200+ works, was there a new revision for them(s939) when am2 came out as well?

Found this: "AMD-V is present in K8 AMD processors from stepping "F" onwards."

To be clear, VT isn't required, but it brings a not-insignificant performance boost.

Ok fine. Since Intel has to make their product matrixes so damn difficult to comprehend (and find for that matter) I guess I will just have to order C2Ds from now on.. Damn intel and their forcing me to change my buying habits!

Is there a link someone can throw up that lists what intel CPus have VT and what CPUs have EM64? Trying to get together my next round of purchases and dont really want to pay Dell pricing for C2Ds

For some reason, Lenovo disabled VT in the BIOS of many laptops. I have a C2D, and VT is a no go.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_disabled_VT
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Lenovo_3000_N100 (Mine)

That is an intel-specific problem. You can find it in the VMWare forums/ KB.

Workstation 5.5 and VMware Server 1.0 support virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only on host machines that have one of the supported 64-bit processors:

* AMD Athlon 64, revision D or later
* AMD Opteron, revision E or later
* AMD Turion 64, revision E or later
* AMD Sempron, 64-bit-capable revision D or later (experimental support)
* Intel EM64T VT-enabled processors (experimental support)

Sounds like it's required to me....

Sounds like it's required to me....

Was it not you that said:
Found this: "AMD-V is present in K8 AMD processors from stepping "F" onwards."
Is stepping F = revision D?

edit:
http://technowizah.com/2007/02/debian-how-to-qemu-virtual-machine.html
suggests that KVM's do not work on a system without Virtualization technology. I ran
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flag
on my Opty 165:
Code:
gwk@deb-serv:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flag
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
gwk@deb-serv:~$
According to the website above, I need to search for ``vmx or svm''. Noticably, it is absent from above list.
running the same thing on my A64 (bought in June last year)
Code:
gwk@debian:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flag
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc
Also reveals that there is no virtualization tech present.

Is there a link someone can throw up that lists what intel CPus have VT and what CPUs have EM64? Trying to get together my next round of purchases and dont really want to pay Dell pricing for C2Ds

I think all of the Pentium D 9XX series has VT

unhappy_mage:
I used your VMWare image, but it ran into a problem. For some reason, the VMWare server exited out of the image three or four times- probably every 20-30%. It just turned in a 1760-pointer, but it took two days because it was crashed to Server Console both mornings. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 now, but I burned a weird coaster- both machines see it as a blank disc, even though I can see the end of the track with my bare eyes.

No idea, mavalpha. Are you sure your machine is stable? Run Memtest recently?

No idea, mavalpha. Are you sure your machine is stable? Run Memtest recently?
Orthos and everything. Weird thing is, it was crashing at stock speeds (266FSB, 2.13GHz, stock volts). I raised my settings to 333/2.66, and it's been doing better now! I had one problem with my USB HD, but I switched it over to internal and it's been good since. I'll poke around some more later. :confused:

Update, 7:56pm EST
Nope, just crashed out again at 95%. Resumes fine, but I still haven't gotten it to run 12 hours straight. And yes, it's Prime/Orthos-able at these settings. :confused:

Well, I've got the VMware thingee running, and all looks fine.
However, after a while (not sure exactly), the terminal window just goes black, and shows nothing. When I reboot the VM, it shows that progress has been made however.

Is this a common problem, or what? I just like being able to keep tabs on everything, and since the log file is kept stored in the virtual disk which I don't know how to access, I'm kinda left guessing, ya know?

-Ghent

Well, I've got the VMware thingee running, and all looks fine.
However, after a while (not sure exactly), the terminal window just goes black, and shows nothing. When I reboot the VM, it shows that progress has been made however.

Is this a common problem, or what? I just like being able to keep tabs on everything, and since the log file is kept stored in the virtual disk which I don't know how to access, I'm kinda left guessing, ya know?

-Ghent
It isn't a problem, it's a screensaver. :p Hit the Num-Lock key or move the mouse, and your screen should come back up. :)

Just make sure the focus is in that window first, by clicking the mouse in the center of the black screen. You can get back out later by pressing Control+Alt.

Back