SN21G5 on shuttle global site

bob321

Weaksauce
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN21G5.asp

I am not sure if this has been known already, but I just noticed it listed on the Global site. Anyone have any idea when this might be available for purchase, I know most sources say March, but early March? Late March?

I ask cause a lot my parts suffered a tragic death, so I am using a borrowed machine now. Almost bought a mATX 6150 board today, till I saw the SN21.

I guess I am just posting this out of wishfull thinking that someone knows more than has already been posted up here.

Thanks

Ohh well, just called Shuttle. Guy said it would be available mid to late March.

I looked at that for awhile today...looks very nice, hopefully it won't be ridiculously expensive...and hopefully it'll fit my 7800 GT OC and Sound Blaster X-FI Elite :) THAT would be a nice shuttle.

As expensive as Shuttles are, why would they cripple it with a 6100/410 combo. It couldn't be THAT much more expensive for 6150/430. The mATX motherboards are only about $10 apart. This is really disappointing as Shuttle is known for using premium components.

agentzero9 said:
As expensive as Shuttles are, why would they cripple it with a 6100/410 combo. It couldn't be THAT much more expensive for 6150/430. The mATX motherboards are only about $10 apart. This is really disappointing as Shuttle is known for using premium components.

That IS somewhat curious. Makes one wonder who they are trying to sell this to? As a result of this...limiting...choice, the ATI Xpress200 they have (ST20G5) will have a similar feature set - but be faster. I suppose if you wanted that feature set BADLY, but wanted a black case instead of silver? :confused:

Well, anyway, it's not like they haven't upgraded chipsets in mid-run before...

I think sources said the prices would be close to the current SN95G5V3 (est US$290). As for the chipset, I wasnt aware that there was a drastic difference between the 6100 and the 6150, certainly nothing amounting to a deal breaker. I know the onboard video of the 6150 has more features. but most ppl such as MeathooK, are more concerned about whether their 7800GTs will fit or not. I think a lot of persons will be in this category. Also cheap passively cooled ATI or NVIDIA PCIe cards can be added without increasing system noise for HTPCs.

My guess though, as it shouldnt have been a problem to include the 6150 instead of the 6100 is that they started developing it from before the 6150 was available (only reason I can think of). Then again, I don't really expect much 3d performance wise from any onboard video solution, they both have 2 pixel pipelines. And yes, they could end up making a version 2 with the 6150, but I don't think it would really matter much to most ppl unless they fix other issues, which I hope are minimal to start with. The link below compares the chipsets. I guess if I wanted to do anything more than basic use of windows/linux I would probably buy a cheap - expensive PCIe card depending on my needs. Personally, I am hoping a 7900 GT/GTX will fit when they come out in March.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/gf6150-gf6100_5.html

Its good to see persons commenting. Hopefully we will all get more info soon.

SB83G5-5.jpg

This is what my SN21G5 will look like when it is released :cool:

Since the current Shuttle G5 models - SB83G5 and ST20G5 can fit a 7800GTX with no issues - there is no doubts that it will also fit in the SN21G5. Any of the latest high end graphics cards with a single slot cooling solution will fit (7800GT, 7800GTX, X1800XL, X1900XL).

I am running a 7800GTX 512 in my SB83G5 after cutting a window mod on the side of my case cover and upgrading to the Shuttle 300W PSU. My plan is to transfer these parts directly to an SN21G5 when it is available!

SN21G5 Review @barebonecenter.de

Well I'll be, just realised the 6100 only has 100Mbit ethernet. Never even thought they still sell nics that run at 100Mbit. This won't really affect anything for me, but its dissapointing and other persons might need the gigabit lan. There are also RAID differences, for those that plan to use RAID, you can only do RAID 0 or RAID 1 not RAID 0+1, or 5. Won't really affect me, but might affect some persons.

dworley said:
SB83G5-5.jpg

This is what my SN21G5 will look like when it is released :cool:

Since the current Shuttle G5 models - SB83G5 and ST20G5 can fit a 7800GTX with no issues - there is no doubts that it will also fit in the SN21G5. Any of the latest high end graphics cards with a single slot cooling solution will fit (7800GT, 7800GTX, X1800XL, X1900XL).

I am running a 7800GTX 512 in my SB83G5 after cutting a window mod on the side of my case cover and upgrading to the Shuttle 300W PSU. My plan is to transfer these parts directly to an SN21G5 when it is available!

That is a nice setup, Can't wait to see it. I guess I was more worried about the dual slot versions. How do you get the cover off? I don't think I have the skill at the moment to do such a mod, but it comes out pretty well, like you purchased it that way. I might have to learn, as the low noise of the dual slot coolers is very appealing. Was the 300watt PSU absolutely necessary to get the 512MB GTX working?

bob321 said:
I think sources said the prices would be close to the current SN95G5V3 (est US$290). As for the chipset, I wasnt aware that there was a drastic difference between the 6100 and the 6150, certainly nothing amounting to a deal breaker. I know the onboard video of the 6150 has more features. but most ppl such as MeathooK, are more concerned about whether their 7800GTs will fit or not. I think a lot of persons will be in this category. Also cheap passively cooled ATI or NVIDIA PCIe cards can be added without increasing system noise for HTPCs.

My guess though, as it shouldnt have been a problem to include the 6150 instead of the 6100 is that they started developing it from before the 6150 was available (only reason I can think of). Then again, I don't really expect much 3d performance wise from any onboard video solution, they both have 2 pixel pipelines. And yes, they could end up making a version 2 with the 6150, but I don't think it would really matter much to most ppl unless they fix other issues, which I hope are minimal to start with. The link below compares the chipsets. I guess if I wanted to do anything more than basic use of windows/linux I would probably buy a cheap - expensive PCIe card depending on my needs. Personally, I am hoping a 7900 GT/GTX will fit when they come out in March.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/gf6150-gf6100_5.html

Its good to see persons commenting. Hopefully we will all get more info soon.

Well for starters the 6150 chipset supports DVI and High Definition Video outputs.

An HTPC or SFF system that only has a legacy VGA connection is extremely limiting.

agentzero9 said:
Well for starters the 6150 chipset supports DVI and High Definition Video outputs.

An HTPC or SFF system that only has a legacy VGA connection is extremely limiting.

I do agree with you on that point, and Shuttle could have given a more useful solution out of the box if they included the 6150 but the ability to purchase a cheap PCIe card such as the one in the link below for $46 keeps it from being a deal breaker, at least in my opinion. It would have been different if only the $200+ has DVI and HDTV output, but thats not the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125209

I was really looking forward to the SN21G5 being a nice product, however I must say I am sorely dissapointed with the choices Shuttle made in regards to the chipset.

This was my first window mod to a case and it was suprisingly easy. I marked off an outline to cut with my dremmel tool - using a few cutoff wheels, filed it down and then just bought a $5.00 auto door edge gaurd from autozone for the trim.

The cover lfts back about 1/2 inch, then I just pull out on the side adn lift it off to clear the cooler.

The 300W PSU is likely necessary to power the 7800GTX 512, however I did run my 7800GTX with the stock 250W PSU, so there is a chance it would have worked. But, why risk a $750 card for an $80 PSU upgrade?

reswob said:
What does no Gigabit Lan mean?

Means data is transmited over the Local Area Network at approximately 1 Gigabit per second(1000 MB/sec). SN21G5 only has 100MB/sec LAN.

I read the sfftech review. I guess the real advantage is for those who Would have bought the SN25P if it had a PCI slot.

dworley said:
This was my first window mod to a case and it was suprisingly easy. I marked off an outline to cut with my dremmel tool - using a few cutoff wheels, filed it down and then just bought a $5.00 auto door edge gaurd from autozone for the trim.

The cover lfts back about 1/2 inch, then I just pull out on the side adn lift it off to clear the cooler.

The 300W PSU is likely necessary to power the 7800GTX 512, however I did run my 7800GTX with the stock 250W PSU, so there is a chance it would have worked. But, why risk a $750 card for an $80 PSU upgrade?

Ok, that doesnt sound hard. I guess I can go that route if necessary. Thanks for the info.

Back