SN27P2 Build ... Please comment

jtomlinson

n00b
I've finally decided to get back into a SFF and would love some help/comments on what to go with. After doing a little browsing I'm pretty sure I'd like to go with the Shuttle SN27P2 with the following configuration:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800
Video: BFG 7950 GT 512MB
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB)

New Egg Wish List for easy reference

I'd be using two SATA hard drives that I currently have. 74GB 10,000rpm Raptor and a 300GB 7200rpm secondary drive.

My biggest concern is if the SN27P2 has enough power to handle this configuration. Any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bladestorm said:
Why are you getting 4x512mb, and not 2x1gb?

The 4x512mb was just me messing around with ram prices to see which way was cheaper. From what I could see the price difference wasn't that much. In the end I'd probably go with 2x1gb.

My main concern with this system is heat and power ... does any think this configuration would get too hot or run too low on power with the selected video card?

*edited original post to reflect RAM change.

If it is available to you, I'd strongly recommend the SD37P2 or it's upcoming update, the SD38P2 rumored out next month. (main change from my model being a single 16x PCI-E slot and a regular PCI slot as opposed to dual 8x PCI-E)

The Core 2 Duo is really a strong processor, better in almost everyway from the A64 X2's. Get one of them to the 3.0 ghz I managed in my Shuttle, it's almost unbelievable in a case of this size.

I think the SN27P2 has a 400 watt PSU (same one in SD37P2) made by SilentX which pushes probably the best PSUs you can find in a SFF size. All the stuff you listed, it'll run it and then some without a problem. In fact there are reports of people successfully running 8800 GTX and overclocked C2D configurations on the exact same PSU.

Jalidi would you mind writing a bit more about your shuttle? I have been thinking about buying one for a while now but it's hard to decide. The thing I want to know about most is the noise. Is it noisy or quiet? How many fans are you running? Would I buy be able to put a passively cooled 7900 or 7950 in there without things getting too hot and the fans going nuts?

The SD37P2 is out of stock everywhere in Sweden right now so that's a bit of a bummer... but at least it gives me time to think about it some more. Still.. the more I think about the longer I have to sit in front of my Athlon 64 3200 @ 2.4 in my Antec Sonata II. And i'm pretty much tired of it...

do you know if the sd38p2 is going to have the same ram limitation that the sd37p2 and will the 8x pcie bandwidth on the sd37p2 be saturated?

running a similar config (see sig) compared to your posted wish list. no problems at all. aside from having to have the xpc tools fan settings up high with the cover on.

Back