So anybody want a modular Corsair over 620w?

kush

[H]ard|Gawd
...Well your prayers are now answered. I just decided to check out the site and lo and behold what did I spy?

hx1000herokg9.jpg

http://corsair.com/products/hx1000.aspx
Yep, you got it. the 1000 HX (or HX 1000 if you will).

1000 watts, modular like the rest of the HX series. Not much info yet on this, other than "available in Q108". CWT build I assume since Seasonic only has up to 900w at most I think.

[edit]
Hmm google brought up some info back in late October. But mentioned release @ the end of the year... Guess there were supply issues or some other kind of delay then? Dunno how I missed it.

And the amperage breakdown for anyone interested.

Same deal as a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w, IIRC.

I could be wrong.

Same deal as a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w, IIRC.

I could be wrong.

They are both CWT sourced but our delay was caused by making a number of changes that should increase performance significantly in a variety of ways.

It'll be available in March.

Sweet.

Since the 620HX is able to support 2 card SLI, will the 1000HX be able to handle 3 card SLI? Not that I will actually go that route, but wouldn't mind having that capability if I decided to go that route.

Is there an expected Price Range for this PSU? No specs, but is it natively capable of handling 2 card SLI w/8800GTX (ie, 4 pcie plugs instead of 2)?

I'd guess around $300... of course, it's too early to tell, who knows what kind of things we'll se by october :)

Sweet.

Since the 620HX is able to support 2 card SLI, will the 1000HX be able to handle 3 card SLI? Not that I will actually go that route, but wouldn't mind having that capability if I decided to go that route.

Is there an expected Price Range for this PSU? No specs, but is it natively capable of handling 2 card SLI w/8800GTX (ie, 4 pcie plugs instead of 2)?

I'd expect it to have 4 6 pin and 2 8 pin PCIe plugs with the ability to plug 4 in at the same time. Atleast that's the way my Silverstone ST1000 is. Be interesting to see a price. Also, will it have an 8 pin EPS and then another 4+4 CPU connection for boards that require two 8 pins?

You guys should be happy with it when it launches, it'll be competitively priced with other 1000W units.

EDIT - It will be capable of 3-way SLI.

Damn, I'd probably have to put in a seperate circuit breaker just for my PC if I bought that thing.

Well that was SORT of an exaggeration / joke... but now that I think about it if I did slap that sucker into my machine and somehow DID manage to cram enough stuff into it (Triple SLI, a dozen HDDs, etc :D) to bring it up to nearly it's rated capacity, I'd think that it would be rather close to pulling 10 - 12 amps at it's full potential.

Anyone know what price point this thing is going to hit the shelves at? I'm hoping it will be under $300 in sticking with Corsair's competitive pricing strategy. My mouth is watering.... :D

Well that was SORT of an exaggeration / joke... but now that I think about it if I did slap that sucker into my machine and somehow DID manage to cram enough stuff into it (Triple SLI, a dozen HDDs, etc :D) to bring it up to nearly it's rated capacity, I'd think that it would be rather close to pulling 10 - 12 amps at it's full potential.

Anyone know what price point this thing is going to hit the shelves at? I'm hoping it will be under $300 in sticking with Corsair's competitive pricing strategy. My mouth is watering.... :D

Anybody that gives you a price is going to be guessing, because there are maybe 2-3 people inside Corsair (including me) that have any idea of where we want to price this thing. I can only say it will be competitive.

It won't break you, but it's not a "budget" PSU either.

Anybody that gives you a price is going to be guessing, because there are maybe 2-3 people inside Corsair (including me) that have any idea of where we want to price this thing. I can only say it will be competitive.

It won't break you, but it's not a "budget" PSU either.

Can you tell us if it's a CWT build or a Seasonic build?

And by the way, what's the biggest Seasonic build that you currently offer? I'm trying to decide to go with another Corsair unit or with the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w. I've got a thing for Seasonic. :D

CWT

And by the way, what's the biggest Seasonic build that you currently offer? I'm trying to decide to go with another Corsair unit or with the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w. I've got a thing for Seasonic. :D

The x900 is a 900w unit at 230v input and is the same platform as the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w.

I wonder how much that would affect your energy bill... :p

We have a Seasonic-built 650W, but in order to get a Seasonic-built unit to 750W we'd have to sacrifice on our temperature rating (50C) or the noise levels by moving to an 80mm fan design.

As such, our 750W is built on a CWT platform with some upgrades. It's rated at 50C and is quieter than any other 750W on the market that I've used personally.

Man, and I already bought (and am using) the Silverstone st-1000.

:(

I have a question for you Redbeard.

What king of modularity will be used on the 1kw version?
ie:
Is it going to be 1/2 modular (like TT's are) ?
Is it going to be 3/4 modular like the ST-1000 ?
Or is it going to be 100 % modular like the Ultra's are ?

I dont know if I am alone here or not, but I think the Ultra psu's are the only true modular design around.
Not only in that ALL cables are modular, but also in their selection of cables.
Ultra gives you the option of just one 4 pin molex connector on a single cable, or two connectors, or three. The same can be had in sata also.
There are also different lengths of cables avaialable for the user also.

I would like to see other psu mfr's get in on this modularity, and have the different cables INCLUDED with the psu.

If it werent for the fact that ultra psu's dont really stand up to [H] tests, I would never own another psu.
If I could get Corsair quality, with Ultra's modularity, I would forget the $250 I spent on this ST-1000 and get the Corsair 1kw.

OK.
Maybe I stated that poorly.

It should have read as:
Does not stand up to MY expectations.

I didnt like the fact that (even though in spec) the ultra's tend to dip (too much imo) on the 3.3 and 12v rails.

You have a strider 1000, why do you care, it should be fine. 24, 8 and 4+4 pin for motherboard connections and 4 PCIe connections, what else are you looking for?

True modularity.

Modular cables that I dont have to cut myself to have a single molex, or 2 molexes instead of 3.
A single floppy cable that I dont have to use a 2-4 pin molex connector with.
A single sata molex, that has nothing else on the cable.

You see what I am getting at?

True modularity.

Modular cables that I dont have to cut myself to have a single molex, or 2 molexes instead of 3.
A single floppy cable that I dont have to use a 2-4 pin molex connector with.
A single sata molex, that has nothing else on the cable.

You see what I am getting at?

IIRC that adds resistance and lowers efficiency though. Not good.

Boy that HX1000 has got some drool factor...:D

Redbeard.. What are the amperages ??

It's two separate +12V rails, truly independent sources, with 40A each.

So 960W is available on the +12V rails.

i think the pic is nice but my 750watt TT should hold me over fine for awhile ;)

Back