so, are those of us with 20 pin connectors screwed?

Barnaby

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had my PCP&C 510 Deluxe for some time now, and it's been a great investment. But, I'm starting to wonder how future proof it is, since there seems to be a push now for 24 pin connectors, and the new pci express connectors..

So, am I stuck with having to get a new PSU when I need these connectors, or will there be convertors I can use.. I know there are for the pci express connector, but what about the 24 pin connector?

will there be a connector that you have to hook up a standard molex connector to with the 20, and it'll work? I though I saw something like this..

Or will mobo's have a place to hook up another molex connector, like when asus had that option in case you didn't have a p4 compliant PSU?

I think the 2x2 cpu plug is pin compatable with the 24pin connector (its a little square plug) I'll try to confirm this though.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012037.htm

Seems the 2x2 has a special spot, and if you want to go the adapter route there are tons of adapter cables out there.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=20pin+24pin&scoring=p

Yeah the 2x2 definetly doesnt fill the extra four holes, but if your motherboard is reverse compatable with the 20pin connector, you will need to plug the 2x2 into the special 2x2 connector as well as a 4 pin molex into the motherboard as well as the 20 pin connector as shown in the first link.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V PSDG2.01.pdf (wire diagrams)

with a PCP&C 510 you should be able to employ one of the conversion schemes
it has a single, fat and very stable +12V rail

but the connectors arent the only thing that changed in the ATX12V v1.3 to v2.0 spec
in fact even in the v1.3 spec, dual +12V rails where called for
this is to isolate the transient load of drives and other peripherals from the power supplied to the onboard Voltage Regulation Modual and thus onto the CPU
likely not much of an issue with the PCP&C enless your loading it right up next to its capabilities

for others however, a new PSU is likely in order, most are terminally weak on the +12V to begin with

some might even consider sending the Turbo Cool 510s in for a retro fit to a new harness
or do the mod themselves

The 510 Deluxe is a rev 1.3, but it doesn't seem to list dual +12v on the specs..

Is there a convertor that goes from 20 to 24?

Im sure there will be converters if there arent already
the supply is ATX12V v1.3 compatible, not compliant
as is my 510 EPS12V :p which also has a single rail

gotcha.. I guess if all else fails, and there's not convertors, I'll pick up another PCP&C when they redo it to have the newer connectors..

Course, for me it depends on AMD's route, and PCIe acceptance.. might be another year or so before they don't make good AGP cards, and AMD requires a 24 pin ATX connector..

Barnaby said:
gotcha.. I guess if all else fails, and there's not convertors, I'll pick up another PCP&C when they redo it to have the newer connectors..

Course, for me it depends on AMD's route, and PCIe acceptance.. might be another year or so before they don't make good AGP cards, and AMD requires a 24 pin ATX connector..
the only thing i can say is that u should check out hardocp's review of the new intel chipset. They talk about the 20pin and 24pin problem that arises. it seemed as if the pci card wasn't getting enough power and was causing errors, even with an adapter, as that extra power was needed, with the addition of the 3x3 pci connectors. as soon as they switched to a true, 24 pin psu everything worked great.

It is still hard to say whether PC Power and Cooling will even be enough i guess the company itself will figure that out. I just purchased a Turbo Cool 475w myself, because i needed the extra power with all the crap i got in there, and now i'm out of luck for a while because my next purchase is going to be for a good SLI setup which will probably have 24 pin and pci connectors.

The article also addresses how much power SLI is going to be which is somewhere in between 150w-300w at min/peak. so 510w may just be on the borderline of how much wattage your going to need.

The Tagan in my sig came with the 24 pin. It also came with an adapter so I can use it on my mobo for now. Only problem is the 24 to 20 pin connector looks like crap in my case.

SeaDonkey said:
The Tagan in my sig came with the 24 pin. It also came with an adapter so I can use it on my mobo for now. Only problem is the 24 to 20 pin connector looks like crap in my case.
If you have room on your motherboard, you can plug it in without the adapter, you'll just have one side handing off.

and then agian if u don't need the adapter just sell it on ebay cause i bet a lot of peeps need that adater to make their old 20 pin work on a 24 pin or does it only work one way?

Back