So check this out...

=Vector=

Limp Gawd
EDIT: ALL PARTS ACQUIRED

I'm keeping my monitor, speakers, case, mouse, keyboard, sound card, and my just recently bought Lite-On DVD Burner from my current rig. With this new rig i may or may not OC the cpu, and if i was i wanted to OC it to around 2.4~2.5 ghz. But i really just want a rig that is significantly faster, stable and isn't so damn loud (hence the xp-90) and is a little bit future-proof. I didn't go SLI because i wanted to keep this rig simple but still pretty damn powerful.

anyways, what do you guys think?

*******************************************************************************************************

Parts Acquired List:

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner
Bought From: Newegg
Cost: $51.99

THERMALRIGHT XP-90
92mm Panaflo M1A Fan
Arctic Silver Ceramique
Bought From: Jab-Tech
Cost: $45.23

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Cost: $167.50

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939
Cost: $289.00 (Got $20.00 for mobo and cpu combo deal)

XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT
Cost: $404.00

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum
Cost:

Maxtor MaXLine III 7L250S0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
Cost: $124.24

SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240V UL, CE, CB, FCC
Bought From: Case-Mod.com
Cost: $142.19

Final Cost of System ATM: $1339.73

*All costs include Shipping and Handling Charges*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: 07/30/05 You know, i just realized i never posted my current/old rig, so here it is:

Sparkle 400W PSU
Coolermaster Praetorian BLACK case w/ 4 80mm fans *Keeping this*
MSI K7N2 Delta-L Motherboard
AMD AthlonXP 2700+ Processor
Thermaltake Volcano 9 HSF
Leadtek GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP8X Video Card
2 x 512MB Corsair PC2700 2-2-2-5 XMS Series RAM (not in dual channel mode)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Plus 120GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Creative Audigy 1 X-Gamer Sound Card *Keeping this*
Realtek Ethernet Card
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Asus 48x16x48 CD-R/RW
Generic Black Keyboard *Keeping this*
Logitech MX500 mouse w/func 1080 mouse pad *Keeping this*
Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 Speaker System *Keeping this*
Viewsonic P95f+ 19" CRT Monitor *Keeping this*

so i'm assuming that since no one is responding that this build is pretty good and that i shouldn't have any problems with it....

bump

ZZF has the HDD cheaper here. Look around, you'll save some money. Newegg, Monarch and ZZF are all excellent dealers. It also pays to look around for good deals from good dealers like EWiz, MWave, etc. You'll save a good bit of cash if you do some homework and don't automatically presume that Newegg will always have the best deal.

Ewiz has the Seasonis S12-600 SLI certified for about the same and it will be a lot quieter and more efficent. However, if you aren't going to plan on going SLI both PSU's (the ANtec and the Seasonic) are going to be overkill for now. They will allow a better upgrade path in the future though. That is my 2 cents.

Well i know newegg doesn't always have the best deals, but the site is a lot easier to find parts then any other site i've been to. And yeah i probably will buy that HDD from ZZF since i keep reading (on here of course) that newegg ships them the wrong way or somethin...and the fact that it's cheaper is a plus as well :D

i'll probably go for cheaper ram as well, question though, how much does latency timings really affect memory performance?

ok, i've updated the list with multiple vendors for each part (well if i could find multiple vendors anyway), and i'm gonna use this thread to keep track of pricing so i can see how much i paid for this upgrade when i get all the parts in, which will take about a month or so since i'm gonna buy each part one by one for the most part.

my goal is to pay between $1400 and $1500, and i'm pretty sure i can do that if i shop smart.

oh shit, thanks man, forgot all about that place..

hell i'll just get the xp-90, the panaflo fan (the M1A since it's quieter and cheaper), and the arctic silver ceramique from there..

=Vector= said:
oh shit, thanks man, forgot all about that place..

hell i'll just get the xp-90, the panaflo fan (the M1A since it's quieter and cheaper), and the arctic silver ceramique from there..

No problem. You may want to look at PC power and Cooling PSU's. Antec is still solid and at the top, but just throwing out a suggestion. :)

http://www.jab-tech.com/catalog/Thermalright_XP90__OEM_p_2921.html

XP-90 for $28, but you can add a panaflo AND AS Ceramique for cheap!

Mobo:
Since you want an XP-90, you obviously want to OC. DFI is the way to go with OCing. IF you NEVER want SLI, get this for $89:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110248 $90
If you think you might want SLI eventually, get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136157 $170

CPU:
a 3500+ is a waste with an XP-90. A 3000+ will OC just as high.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BP $120

Video Card:
Get a 7800GTX. Here's one for $507.70 shipped:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190416

RAM:
Waste of money. Get two of either this:
Mushkin SP 1GB for $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146190
or this:
Crucial Value 1GB for $106:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146545

HDD:
Good choice with the 16mb Maxtor, but the ML3 is a waste of money. 3 years (the DiamondMax 10's warranty, as opposed to the ML3's 5 year) is a long time for a hdd, in three years I think we will be using 600gb hdds minimum.
Here's the DM10 250gb for $114:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100718-5

PSU:
Bah, you want a PSU from a high end manufac. Seasonic PSUs are very quiet, efficient, and have large, stable 12v rails. Here's the S12-500 for $105 (very cheap for the performance!):
http://www.case-mod.com/store/seaso...-500-watt-atx-power-supply-p-1579.html?src=fr
Or if you want SLI, you'll be safer with the S12-600 for $130:
http://www.case-mod.com/store/seaso...-600-watt-atx-power-supply-p-1580.html?src=fr

In case you were wondering where I got all this from, it and more is all in this thread that I created (unfinished):
Russ's Guide to Hardware
You are a "(B5)" through and through.

Ok, after spending an hour or so looking around some more and reading the memory faq i'm gonna go with the Mushkin Ram instead, i'm also going to get that Seasonic PSU

question though about the HDD, is the ONLY difference between the diamondback series and Maxline series the warranty?

also russ, i'm actually not an OC'er, i'm getting the xp-90 (and fan and thermal grease) to keep the cpu cool and it'll be quiet for once in that area (my current HSF is F@$%ING LOUD, it's a Thermaltake Volcano 9, i've had it for 2 years and i can't take it anymore), also because i'm saving a lot more money on other parts (thanks for the link to the xp-90 at jab-tech) i'm gonna go with the Athlon64 3700+ San Diego Core cause 1mb L2 cache is teh win :cool:

i have more to say but i'll stop here for tonight/early morning...

The Diamond Max 10 and MaxLine III have the exact same controller boards and platters. The only differences are i nthe choice of mechanical components and tolerances in assembly. The MaxLine version uses higher quality (read - more expensive) and tighter tolerances (once again more expensive) to justify Maxtor's confidence in backing the MaxLine versions with a higher warranty. Think of it like the differences between processor speeds on the same core design - only chips that test at 3.6GHz will be sold as 3.6GHz chips, but you may get a 3.0GHz chip that is capable of 3.6 :cool: Same thing with the two versions of Maxtor's latest 7200RPM drive - a DM10 may go for five plus years, but they only guarantee three. If it fails after three and change, oh well - just like buying a 3GHz chip and only being able to OC to 3.3. If you wanted 3.6, you should pay for the 3.6 chip. Users that want more piece of mind will pay for the guaranteed five years, as will enterprise customers, which is the MaxLine's target market.

well, i just went through the list to see around how much i would be paying for all these parts (minus the graphics card) and it all comes out to about $1,045....which means i can spend like $400 for a graphics card and still make it within the $1500 mark....hmmm think i'll wait till the 7800GT comes out, i'm sure it'll be around the $400 mark (hopefully)...

oh and i just ordered the heatsink, fan, and thermal paste from jab-tech, saved a lot buying from them compared to Newegg (thanks for the link russ).

well, that XP-90, fan, and ceramique should be here tomorrow, that's if UPS didn't screw anything up...

anyways, i decided to go with the Leadtek 6800GT for the time being, though i'm sure that once the 7800GT comes out i'll probably change my mind again, which is okay since i'm gonna buy the graphics card last...

I've always gone with Corsair RAM (for the last 6 years), but recently got better results with OCZ . Premium RAM in every case, not value ram. I think if you buy premium product, you just have to go with current best price/performance product of a brand company.

ok just went through the list again, and the 3700 just dropped about $45, sooo i'm gonna get a little higher quality ram (with better timings of course) and i'm gonna wait and get a 7800GT IF it is around $400 (which it should be) other than that i doubt i'm gonna change the list anymore since i've just decided to buy the rest of this stuff toward the middle of this week...man i can't wait to get this stuff :D

woot, only one more part to go and i'll be in business, oh and once the PSU comes in the total cost for this system will be:

$1481.92

which means i was succesful in keeping the cost below $1500, so i'm happy...now all i got to do is sell my old parts...

Back