So does this mean LGA 1156 will be socket standard for the next few years?

Honestly, even if the 9x0's and 965 got EOL, so what? I made my purchase and I'm happy where I am. If I need to get a D0 stepping later, I'm sure I'll be able to locate one. Or I'll go for the cheapest 6 core and have a field day overclocking that.

Do I regret my purchase with that looming ahead?

Nope, not one bit.

This will probably change my new build plans.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I think the 1366 i7s will be good for a while, at least 2 years of gaming in my opinion, I used an e6300 heavily overclocked for 2 years and it handled everything, and I bought that at bleeding edge of core2

Well I still think the 1366 will still be the high end chipset, while the new ones will be mainstream, so if you bought it or going to buy it (like me) you won't be in for a loss.

The same thing happened a few years back when nvidia released the 8800gtx, it was the king for a little while then they released the 8800gt and stopped making 8800gtx because their was no point, the 8800gt performed in most tests as much or just a bit lower then the gtx and gt was priced so much less then the highest model.

Some sorta random thoughts.

Intel made it pretty clear the 1366 was high end and the 1156 would be the main stream product.

Intel is forced to "clean out" the bottom of the 1366 CPU line to prevent the inexpensive 1366 CPUs from eating sales of the 1156 CPUs.

1366 will be around for a while but you might have to pay more for a CPU (compared to the 1156 CPUs). For example the 6 core CPU is due 1st half of 2010 as far as I know/read there will be no 6 core 1156 part. (When a game will actually use 6 cores is something to consider)

Its is not a "will be around for a while thing" its a budget/use thing. With Intel's Tick-Tock actually we cant see much more than 2 years ahead regardless and thats best case. (Although I do wonder how long they will keep this up as it seems to me that a lot of people/businesses are becoming overwhelmed with the constant churn ), Sometime in 2011 we are due for "Sandyridge" which will be the "next big thing" and who knows what socket it will use but odds are it will be a new one/chipset. So in the end it is almost impossible to plan out more than 2-3 years making the decision on what to buy if you keep a machine a long time even more important.

Tic-Tock is great is you can keep up.

My advice is to look at it from a total system point of view based what you use the machine for and determine where your weak spot is. For most of us (gamers) its the video but some of us need as much CPU as we can get (rendering etc. ) and that will help, along with budget, determine 1366 vs 1156

This made sense to me - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3570&p=11

So you need to figure out what you want out of your next system and what you use it for, and when you are going to buy it. But I think (and when I think all should run for cover) it is hard to find a game that overwhelms a current CPU in an enthusiast board OCed. It is why I still have my P965 board and a Q6600. Its all about the video for gamers now to a very large extent. It has been for a while but in the near future even more so. Even a good quad Core 2 + 4 GB + enthusiast board + mild OC will do the trick for 90% of us for the next several years. So in than way i7 (1366) vs 1156 is not a huge concern. What is going on with video is. Needless to say some game will come along in a few months that makes a total liar out of me, there are always exceptions, I am talking in general.

That said I too am starting to think about my next upgrade, I still don't really need one as my games are fairly mild on CPU use but my video definitely needs an update. So I am leaning toward the much cheaper 1156 platform and spending the savings on motherboard and memory etc. on the video card as I am never one to buy the best and to hell with the cost but instead a bang for the buck guy. But thats just me.

A Google of "Intel Roadmap" and careful study of recent ones/articles on the subject may help some or not. Intel does not make it very clear about chipsets and the length of CPU support but instead focuses on the "next big thing" with little details about backward compatibility.

The only thing I know for sure is that every 2-3 years if Intel continues with tic-tock, you will be buying a new CPU+mb if you want to keep up.

I noticed in recent roadmaps that Intel seems focused on the server products and the integration of video onto the CPU. This makes sense as those two areas (very high end - and office drone/low end) is where the money is. I think (there I go again) that Intel knows it no longer has to prove it has the best CPU's and so the days of Intel putting out CPUs to capture/cater to the enthusiast market for what used to be the "word of mouth buzz" are numbered. Very shortly its all going to be about servers and utility CPUs (systems on a chip) and we will get the scraps. They might be tasty scraps but scraps nevertheless.

Edit: AMD is hurting but they may (if they are smart and remember their Thunderbird experience) be our saviours if they can survive and provide us with enthusiast targeted cpus. I will not hold my breath, they are marketing driven like everyone else.

/Total speculation.

Last edited:
yes if you bought an i7 you are totally fucked. or something. so if you waited to get an i5/s1156 you are now officially the cool kids on the block.

Back