So far so good at 3.0GHz !

anime4u

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow the intel core 2 quads do well at overclocking (at 10%). Everything is working right and my temps are low at 32 C at idle and 44C at load with Prime95. My CPU voltage is at 1.225. I bet I can set the voltage lower and still maintain a stable overclock at 3.0 GHz. If I get stable at 3.2 GHz I can get 1:1 on my ddr2 800.

Glad your enjoying your self. The core2 chips do OC very easy, try upping your FSB and see if you can stay stable with the same voltage. I have a very easy 35% OC on my Q9550 and am only running 1.20V, whats your VID?

Glad your enjoying your self. The core2 chips do OC very easy, try upping your FSB and see if you can stay stable with the same voltage. I have a very easy 35% OC on my Q9550 and am only running 1.20V, whats your VID?

Thanks for the help. What is VID? Since I'm just a neebie at overclocking, is a 35% OC is typical with air, or do I have to get a exotic cooling rig? I really would like to stay with air cooling. My CPU voltage is at 1.225. Would that be enough (in general) for a 3.2 GHz overclock with my Q9400?

VID is the default voltage for the chip at stock speeds progs like Core Temp will tell you the VID. And yes, the OC I have on my Q9550 is pretty typical for air, I have taken mine up to 4.25GHz on air with my TRUE. The Q9400 I don't have much experience with, however with a good cooler I don't see why you would not be able to get 3.4GHz or more under 1.4V by looking at what you have now. However it's up to the chip, some have a lower FSB wall, meaning it will OC great up to a point at which it doesn't seem to want to go any higher no matter how many volts you give it. However your RAM will be limiting you before then, but 3.2GHz should be easy.

What kind of cooler do you have? TJMax on all the 45nm Q9xxx chips is 100C. You also want to keep it under 1.4V

What kind of cooler do you have? TJMax on all the 45nm Q9xxx chips is 100C. You also want to keep it under 1.4V

I have a thermalright ultra90 heatink with a panaflo 92 mm medium speed fan. I prefer compact, and great performing heatsinks. I'm not interested in a huge heatsinks. My heat reading across the cores with coretemp is 30-34c at idle and 38-45c with prime95 running.
I moved my CPU voltage to 1.20v (runs fine). I have discovered if I go to 3.2GHz the power draw goes from 125w (at 2.66 stock) at idle to about 145w at idle (3.2 GHz)! Right now at 3.0 GHz my rig draws around 128 watts.

I may change my processor to a Q9550 or Q9650 for improved clocks. I'm always looking for great performing and compact heatsinks.

I have a thermalright ultra90 heatink with a panaflo 92 mm medium speed fan. I prefer compact, and great performing heatsinks. I'm not interested in a huge heatsinks. My heat reading across the cores with coretemp is 30-34c at idle and 38-45c with prime95 running.
I moved my CPU voltage to 1.20v (runs fine). I have discovered if I go to 3.2GHz the power draw goes from 125w (at 2.66 stock) at idle to about 145w at idle (3.2 GHz)! Right now at 3.0 GHz my rig draws around 128 watts.

I may change my processor to a Q9550 or Q9650 for improved clocks. I'm always looking for great performing and compact heatsinks.

There's no guarantee going to a Q9550 will do much of anything since you have not maxed out your current setup as far as heat, voltage, or speed. 1.2V at 3.2ghz isn't bad. Why upgrade for nothing? If you happen to get a better chip and get 3.2 stable at 1.15V instead does it really matter?

[There's no guarantee going to a Q9550 will do much of anything since you have not maxed out your current setup as far as heat, voltage, or speed. 1.2V at 3.2ghz isn't bad. Why upgrade for nothing? If you happen to get a better chip and get 3.2 stable at 1.15V instead does it really matter?
/QUOTE

Good question. I just like to work with minimal voltages, heat and power with best performance.The same goes for cooling. If I could get better performance with the same heatsink size I would do it.

Good question. I just like to work with minimal voltages, heat and power with best performance.The same goes for cooling. If I could get better performance with the same heatsink size I would do it.

While there is no gaurantee of any OC, but my Q9650 does 3.6ghz at 1.10v. Actual VID is 1.1375v.

You're almost guaranteed 4ghz with a Q9550 E0 stepping, 3.8ghz is about average.

While there is no gaurantee of any OC, but my Q9650 does 3.6ghz at 1.10v. Actual VID is 1.1375v.

I certainly agree with you that overclocking is no guarantee. 3.6 GHz is very impressive to me, I would have to get some serious cooling or buy a better processor (like the Q9650). My vCore is at 1.20v in the bios.

Nice. I just today decided to up the clock of my Q6600, updated to the latest BIOS on my 790i Ultra, went in, Vcore at 1.35 and achieved 3.4Ghz Prime95 stable. I love Intel :)

Nice. I just today decided to up the clock of my Q6600, updated to the latest BIOS on my 790i Ultra, went in, Vcore at 1.35 and achieved 3.4Ghz Prime95 stable. I love Intel

To tell you the truth, I exspected overclocking to be complicated and possibly full of non booting issues, but to my surprise my first efforts were 100% successful. It may be my particular Q9400 or the MB (Asus p5E). Its just than going above 3.0 GHz results in large power need (145w at idle and who knows with crossfire/dual gpu card at load).

Nice. I just today decided to up the clock of my Q6600, updated to the latest BIOS on my 790i Ultra, went in, Vcore at 1.35 and achieved 3.4Ghz Prime95 stable. I love Intel :)
I would suggest you to try Intel Burn Test (aka IBT) to make sure the OC is 100% stable. An 8hr prime95 stable CPU can still produce error under IBT test. IBT can help you produce reliable OC in fairly short amount of time.

To tell you the truth, I exspected overclocking to be complicated and possibly full of non booting issues, but to my surprise my first efforts were 100% successful. It may be my particular Q9400 or the MB (Asus p5E). Its just than going above 3.0 GHz results in large power need (145w at idle and who knows with crossfire/dual gpu card at load).

At times it can be. Before with my old BIOS, if I tried ANYTHING above 3.0GHz, it wouldnt boot at all, no matter what I did. Im glad it worked good for you though, its a great feeling when it works the first time.

I would suggest you to try Intel Burn Test (aka IBT) to make sure the OC is 100% stable. An 8hr prime95 stable CPU can still produce error under IBT test. IBT can help you produce reliable OC in fairly short amount of time.

I'll try that, I left it running all night, then till about 3pm the next day when I got home, but I suppose I'll try IBT also. Not bad at all for a B3 Q6600.

I'll try that, I left it running all night, then till about 3pm the next day when I got home, but I suppose I'll try IBT also. Not bad at all for a B3 Q6600.

IBT doesn't work with q6600 ?
Whats the deal.
I'm getting errors on stock with my g0 q6600.

SDMorris wrote

At times it can be. Before with my old BIOS, if I tried ANYTHING above 3.0GHz, it wouldnt boot at all, no matter what I did. Im glad it worked good for you though, its a great feeling when it works the first time.

It was definately fun to have a first success. Now it is a matter of sorting through cpus for that higher overclock or just sitting tight. I definately am getting a lot of encouragement by the P5E to try a stonger CPU (Q9550 or Q9650).

Wow the intel core 2 quads do well at overclocking (at 10%). Everything is working right and my temps are low at 32 C at idle and 44C at load with Prime95. My CPU voltage is at 1.225. I bet I can set the voltage lower and still maintain a stable overclock at 3.0 GHz. If I get stable at 3.2 GHz I can get 1:1 on my ddr2 800.

You will probably have no problem at 3.2GHz on that cpu. I was running 3GHz with 1.225 in bios (maybe could have left at stock) with this Q9300. It is running at 3.225GHz right now. I did have it at 427fsb, but upped it to 430 for an even number.

It was definately fun to have a first success. Now it is a matter of sorting through cpus for that higher overclock or just sitting tight. I definately am getting a lot of encouragement by the P5E to try a stonger CPU (Q9550 or Q9650).

Yeah, its nice feeling like you know what your doing once in a while LOL. I am getting either a Q9550 or Q9650 VERY soon depending on my financial circumstances, which is why I have been playing with my processor so much lately, so that way if it does decide to take a dump on me (Its getting old now) I wont be upset about it, matter of fact I'd probably be a little bit excited. LOL.

TonyLee wrote:

You will probably have no problem at 3.2GHz on that cpu. I was running 3GHz with 1.225 in bios (maybe could have left at stock) with this Q9300. It is running at 3.225GHz right now. I did have it at 427fsb, but upped it to 430 for an even number.

You are a little late my friend. I have allready reached 3.2GHz! :) I was just kinda concerned about the sudden power draw above the 3.0GHz threshold (145 watts at idle!).
I lowered my cpu clock back to 3.0 GHz and moved my voltage from 1.225v to 1.20v. It seems cpus love power above a certain overclock....Is there any way to know the OC power scale needs before making a processor perchase?

Back