So how Serious is Serious Sam 3???

#2.. um yeah well back during TFE coding and technology wasn't really as complex as it is now. back then the code was simple... press a button and shit happens.. having to click a mouse 5-10 times to fire a pistol i mean seriously you are complaining about this?

It isn't any simpler for them to do...the coding and technology was there back then, we aren't talking atari age here.

run "fraps" benchmark. you can set it to run for a specific amount of time when you hit the trigger or set it to 0 and it will run from the point you hit the hotkey til you hit it again to end the benchmark. it will record your frame rate and put it in a text file. thats how we benchmark games.

I hate built in benchmarks. They are never representative of actual gameplay.

What kind of frame rates do you get? On ultra/ultra/ultra, this game is owning my 6970... FPS bounces between 30 and 70, spending most of that time around 40. Playing at 1920x1080.

I wasn't successful in finding a single setting responsible for the slowdown. It seems like a combination.

What kind of frame rates do you get? On ultra/ultra/ultra, this game is owning my 6970... FPS bounces between 30 and 70, spending most of that time around 40. Playing at 1920x1080.

I wasn't successful in finding a single setting responsible for the slowdown. It seems like a combination.

Likewise. I'm getting horrible frame rates with my 6970 on ultra as well. Yeah, I've also tinkered around with the settings, but I haven't been able to find any setting that would keep my frame rate above 60 at all times.

okay, thanks for the fraps advice

my framerates are great at ultra with my 560ti, but i get terrible stuttering/skipping/lagging

like, somethings wrong with my drivers or ssd, or maybe the game.
so i gotta bring it down a notch and figure out whats causing the stuttering.

playing on high is okay, but i want VISUALS.

Last edited:
Here are the settings that I customized.

I turned off FXAA, I turned Ambient occlusion precision down to 80%, I turned ambient occlusion quality down to optimal, I turned mirror quality down to high, I turned max shadow size down to high, and I turned off shadow anti-aliasing. The difference is hardly noticeable. There are a shit ton of options in this game and no one is going to make your framerates shoot through the roof.

my framerates are great at ultra with my 560ti, but i get terrible stuttering/skipping/lagging
Out of VRAM, most likely. I had the same problem in SS:HD on my old 4850 - pegged at 60fps standing still, but stuttered like mad as soon as I moved the camera. Dropped a couple of texture settings down a notch and it was smooth as butter.

Ohhh completly forgot about this.
Buying as we speak...

Can't wait to get home and try it out :)

I'm a huge fan of Serious Sam in general and was very excited to buy this game. So far, I am not enjoying it as much as the first or second encounter. I'm not sure what it is. I'm only on the third level so far so maybe it will pick up soon.

Finally an epic path as I call them (the BIG rooms or hallways with the 1000s of stuff... man I miss though. Having a pistol and shotugn VS 100s of those bomb guys just doesn't work sometimes..and having to push the ouse button for every pistol shot is still annoying as hell.

Also I have to say i am VERY pleased with the music. I am glad they kept it a close as possible to the type of music they used in the TFE

I'm a huge fan of Serious Sam in general and was very excited to buy this game. So far, I am not enjoying it as much as the first or second encounter. I'm not sure what it is. I'm only on the third level so far so maybe it will pick up soon.

Likewise. I think the 1st/2nd Encounters are much better at this point. I'm on level 4 right now, and thus far, I'm not liking the level designs of these levels. I'll continue to play on and see if my opinion changes.

It's Serious; from The Silent Riddler you just start to see familiar hordes.

But to the game: It's bonkers, absolutely insane as the TFE and TSE were. I love it, it's rewarding as hell to finish some of biggest "arenas" with Serious difficulty after fistful of game overs. Games like Cod or BF3 just don't cut it. "Ugh sniper that i couldn't see from balcony killed me in one shot..." vs "I mowed down 500 enemies, dodged thousands of projectiles and barely survived with 7hp and fist full of ammo!"
Graphics look good, controls are spot-on as always, music rocks, humor works and most importantly enemies do crapton of damage when they hit you excluding cloned soldiers but "Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!".

For the entertainment factor this is GOTY stuff; biggest release of the year made by indie dev. Arcade shooters sure are goodies that we sure haven't had enough in past years

Clip i took earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDa6UEIermU

Likewise. I think the 1st/2nd Encounters are much better at this point. I'm on level 4 right now, and thus far, I'm not liking the level designs of these levels. I'll continue to play on and see if my opinion changes.

i think it is because they tried to make the game more 'serious' it doesn't have the goofy-ness anymore. Like they tried to make it more real looking and the whole army/mission-y thing i don't really like.

they should have just kept it sorta goofy but not like SS2 goofy (SS2 sucked balls)

i think it is because they tried to make the game more 'serious' it doesn't have the goofy-ness anymore. Like they tried to make it more real looking and the whole army/mission-y thing i don't really like.

they should have just kept it sorta goofy but not like SS2 goofy (SS2 sucked balls)

I'm not so sure that's it. My main beef right now with the game is the level design and lack of enemies onscreen. I'm on the fifth level right now, and I'm still waiting for the intensity to pick up. Where are the big open spaces from 1st/2nd Encounters? Because all I'm seeing right now are tight spaces and narrow alleys in these drab city back drops. The animations and sound effects also seem worse than 1st/2nd Encounters. Color me disappointed right now with this game, unless things start turning around.

that was also my first impressions so far is that it seems more like a regular shooter than the ball busting enemy massacre shooter.

that was also my first impressions so far is that it seems more like a regular shooter than the ball busting enemy massacre shooter.

Yup, that's exactly what this is. Just a regular shooter and not a Serious Sam shooter anymore.

Be patient. You'll get exactly what you're waiting for.

Ok, it's just that I don't remember the 1st/2nd Encounters being so "un-intense" through the first five levels.

The developers post regularly on the SPUF for the game, so you guys might be able to get your concerns addressed there.

you just need to play it more. the further in you get the single player gets better and better. but the co-op is where its at in my opinion.

I've been very impressed so far, in fact if anything I think I prefer this style to the sort of toy town cartoon of the First/Second Encounters, but it still has the classic SS game mechanics. I'm finding the weapons very satisfying, and it's throwing any number of encounters at me that just make me laugh with their absurdity, which is mostly what I want from Sam.
Runs as well as I could hope for on my machine, and no technical hitches so far.

Last week I was all about Saints Row, but I haven't touched that since I started playing this.

So far enjoying this game immensely. So far got 10 hrs and I have no idea how much more I have. Shit is getting hard. Only played co-op with my friend and we play on Serious mode. Anything else is sissy mode!

SECRETS SECRETS SECRETS.

finding secrets in SS is about half the fun!
if anyone here is running through the game trying to finish first... you're missing out.
im spending alot of time exploring and trying to find stuff. i loved that about the past SS's and this game doesnt dissapoint.. the only time im "dissapointed" is at the end of the level ive only found about 4 out of 9, or 10 out of 16 secrets! :) Makes me wanna go back and find the rest.

finding the lasergun down in the museum basement was rewarding as HECK! and the trippyness that came with finding it was awesome too.

in the museum, up on the second level theres a room with a bookcase on the wall next to the windows, (its the room right before you hear someones voice then you go downstairs to the basement).
the bookcase on the wall, if you smash it theres a button on the wall. i press it and it said secret door unlocked. But didnt tell me where, i backtracked and couldnt find the door anywhere. Does anyone know this? Im well past this part of the game now, but im just curious as to what it is.

- the slow giving of weapons is nice, although i feel lacking at times.. i think its good they dont throw all the weapons at you, at once... kinda keeps you wanting and eager.
- being able to backtrack alot of the game. theres been situations where hoards of enemies are up ahead, im low on energy, so i backtrack and grab all the health that i was maxed out on. :D then i quicksave and fight.
- i tweaked my graphics a bit, ULTRA cpu, ULTRA gpu mem and ULTRA graphics with some stuff turned down (no skipping, no loss in detail, full 56-60fps)
- when my heart is racing, after fighting through the hoards, and i gotta quit to take a break, then i know its a good game.
- a classic pc tweakers paradise, all these settings to play with. :)

Last edited:
When ever you see a lone Gnaar; does your brain shout "GIMME!"?
Yep ripping out gnaar's eye is satisfying as hell :D

Last edited:
I am so glad they did it right, it starts off slow but gets better and better as you go on.

My favorite part so far was when you turn that corner and you see a few bomb guys, then a few more, then like 200+ start poring around the corner. me and my friend were like ya we got this.....RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!!:D

I am so glad they did it right, it starts off slow but gets better and better as you go on.

Yeah, I kind of thought this through last night. The SS fan in me wanted to start the game w/having about 5 seconds to prepare for 800 Kleer headed my way, but for a lot of people this will be their first Serious Sam game, and they would pretty much crap their pants, get frustrated, and want their money back. Slowly scaling it up gives the people who have been playing a lot of the pathetic shooters of the last few years to slowly gain some old school skills for the upcoming battles later in the game.

Last edited:
This game truly doesn't start before you get the minigun!

After that what you thought were big hordes seem rather puny! 20 seconds from getting the minigun and walking to this large area game spawns atleast 50 kleers, 50 headless rocketeers and 2 scrapjacks and that's just the first wave!

Now we're talking!

This game truly doesn't start before you get the minigun!

I'm not where you officially get it, but I found it earlier...:D

Only got 50 bullets though. :(

I was so damn happy when I found it early, I literally said "aww yeah" out loud. Nothing says serious sam like the mini.

SECRETS SECRETS SECRETS.

)

I've been trying to find stuff but I totally suck at it. I spent time using the hammer on stuff only to find nothing.

I did find an odd vent grate for which I could do nothing with it. It seemed very out of place.

I hope they have silly stuff like the secret santa and what not.

I've been trying to find stuff but I totally suck at it. I spent time using the hammer on stuff only to find nothing.

I did find an odd vent grate for which I could do nothing with it. It seemed very out of place.

I hope they have silly stuff like the secret santa and what not.

Yeah, same here. I must suck at finding the secrets, as I can't find any, either. LOL. Is it me or are the secrets in this one much, much harder to find than in the 1st/2nd Encounters?

I know exactly what you're talking about, I couldn't tell that it did anything either, but I have no idea why it was there.

Wow, I had been kind of ignoring the mutilator for a few levels, and just now figured out that you can lasso large groups at once. I don't know if there's a limit, but I just took down a herd of kleer in a few shots. It also works on higher level enemies in single shots. Talk about a potential ammo saver, you just have to dodge shots while you're waiting for the charge to build.

totally loving this game, every single second of it, especially playing online with 16 players is the most fun ive had playing online in forever

the only thing i am wondering now is.... when are we gonna get another game??? and is this going to be uber MOD friendly? like user maps and what not? god this is gonna be awesome, so glad its not a console port :D

i wonder if they are gonna redo the first and second encounters with this engine next?

Back