So I decided to start folding again...

rbanzai

Limp Gawd
There's a PC that sits behind me at work and does pretty much nothing so I tossed the folding at home client on there running as a service.

My only concern is that if someone needs to use it most of the CPU will be getting eaten up by folding. Is there a way to set the service so that if there is activity on the machine it drops CPU usage back to a certain percentage?

thanks

EDIT: I notice that even though I went into the advance options during -configonly and specified 90 for the CPU it is only using 50 max when I check task manager.....

There's a PC that sits behind me at work and does pretty much nothing so I tossed the folding at home client on there running as a service.

My only concern is that if someone needs to use it most of the CPU will be getting eaten up by folding. Is there a way to set the service so that if there is activity on the machine it drops CPU usage back to a certain percentage?

thanks

don't worry, if you configured the client to be run only at idle load, it will gracefully free cpu cycles when someone need it. I have folding running in many computers and they are all very fast when I need it for something else ;)

Is that why it always appear to be at 50 when I check, because just by checking I'm triggering some sort of throttling?

Is there any way for me to remotely check from another machine to see what its real status is?

Is that why it always appear to be at 50 when I check, because just by checking I'm triggering some sort of throttling?

Is there any way for me to remotely check from another machine to see what its real status is?

If you run a P4 with HT, it will display 50 even if it is running 100% in reality, it's just a bug with Windows.

50%

You are only seeing 50% because I will put money on the table that the processor in that machine is either a. HT b. Dual Core/Dual CPU.

a. HT shows up as 2 cpu's in windows task manager, even though we all know there is only 1. So as a result your 1 processor showing up as 2, it only see's 1 processor going full bore, and calculates 50%. Its normal, that is how HT works. A HT machine running with 1 instance of folding 100%, will show up as 50% in task manager.

b. Dual Core Dual CPU. This one is easy. Your only using half of the total available CPU time, as there is an idle core sitting around.

HA!

That's funny, it is a P4 alright. Alright, so no problem then. I'll just let her grind away at the login screen over the weekend...

Is there a way to check status on an in progress unit with it running as a service?

thanks for the info

To check in-progress status, you can either check the log manually, or use a program like EMIII or FAHSpy that continually updates progress.

Back