So I just built my new system and...

Geekling

Limp Gawd
I seem to be having heat problems. Atfirst I wasn't sure what it was so I took everything out of the case and let it run for awhile...and it seemed to be doing fine.

Well I got into Bios finally and I went to CPU Temp and its running at 127F !!!.

I bought the CPU and motherboard from Monarch Computers pre-assembled. I'm running a Abit AV8 with a AMD 3500+ 64. Thermaltake Venus 7+ heatsink...What should I do? Should I remove the heatsink and put on some Artic Silver 5? They used something like Shin-Etsu...I think...

Help me please :p

Thats just a little warm, but not to the point that your computer is going to explode or anything.. Is the cpu fan obstructed? Does the case have adaquate ventelation etc? How does teh case temp look?

Right now you are at 127F (and i beleive that in bios it counts as a full load temp) which is ~53C.. IIIRC the amd-64 chips are rated to run up to a max temp of 65C which you are under. If your not comftorable with it by all means try and re seat the HSF, try some new thermal paste (good for a max of 2-3 degrees at most, be lucky to see a 1deg change unless it was applied improperly to begin with).

/edit
just re-read your post.. if you are runnign outside of the case that temp is high.. I would go ahead and check that all the cooling hardware is functiong properly as well as re-seat the heatsink and check for proper application of the thermal transfer material.

well when I had it in the case it would reboot over and over. After I took it out of the case and let it sit for awhile I booted it up and it ran ok. Long enough for me to get Windows registered and start loading software...

then came the rebooting again.

What should I do?

well I thought I would try it this morning...and now I can't get it to boot. This is really starting to piss me off...

Hmmm...yeah, make sure that HSF is touching the processor. Make sure you rotated the tension lever on the HSF or else it's basically just hanging in space barely making contact with the CPU.

Hmmm...could it be that Monarch did not rotate the tension lever? I'd double-check that.

Back