So I just got an email from WDRP... and im confused

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I just got a auto generated email from WDRP compliance, and now I am a little confused.
In it, it said that I MUST have valid info in my whois for my domain.
In reality, I have total bullshit in there except for an email, because I want to be fairly private with my personal info.
I would put valid info in there, but I have one major concern. I am a minor (read: 15), I don't want to be giving out my home address. (Maybe I should put my school schedule in there and a list of my fears :p)
I own a total of 4 domains, all with false info. (1 .org, 2 .coms, and 1 .net)
The email I received was about my .net

I need some advice. Now, I know its pretty stupid I am thinking of this now, as opposed to when I agreed to it. Buuuut

Did I violate any TOS or registration agreement when I bought the domain myself? Take into account my age.
I am obligated to put correct info in my whois even considering my age, right?
Will they even care (know?) if I don't have correct info in there?
What is my best course of action? Or lack there of?

Code:
	Subject: 	Important Notice: Please Verify Contact Data for your Domain Name(s)
	Date: 	October 27, 2004 9:05:24 PM CDT
	To: 	 
	Reply-To: 	  [email][email protected][/email]

Dear Domain Holder,

This message is a reminder to help you keep the contact data associated with your domain registration up-to-date.

As of October 31, 2003 we are required by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to send you this reminder by the Anniversary date of each registered Domain Name that is subject to the terms and conditions of that organization. 

Below is a list of domain names with your email address listed as the registrant or administrative contact.  The current contact information associated with the domain may be verified by following the link provided.  
If any of the contact data is inaccurate, it must be corrected.  If the contact data is accurate, no further action is required to comply with this notice.

Please remember that under the terms of your registration agreement, the provision of false Whois (contact) information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration.

Domain Names with Anniversary Dates between November 1 and November 30

Name: 	Registration Date: 	
------ 	----------------- 	
mycrappydomain.tld	Nov 04, 2003
 View Contact Data: <http://wdrp.name-services.com/whois.asp?key=somekey>

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

WDRP Compliance

The question is, at 15, are you even legally alowed to enter into the business relationship that gives you the domains in the first place?

As I understand it, anybody can own a domain name (even your 4yr old cousin :p). The only thing is that you are required by ICANN to give correct details otherwise they can revoke your lease of the domain. It is possible to hide your details (I forget how - it's been a while). However, because you're a minor, they should be obligated by law to keep your details private.

My suggestion would be to take this up with ICANN themselves.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Anyway,l I have been looking around on ICANN's site, and I can't find some contact info for this sort of thing.
Maybe [email protected] is an actual address?
Or does anyone know of a address that deals with this sort of thing?

first let me say i'm not a lawyer. not even close...

but they say this:

"This message is a reminder to help you keep the contact data associated...."

this doesn't seem to be a request, rather just a reminder. they aren't saying that you HAVE to update your records.

and

"the provision of false Whois (contact) information can be grounds for cancellation"

so they aren't saying that they will necessarily do anything.

I'm gonna guess you live in the USA, so i'd say you have a couple of options. if the activity of your domains isn't conspicuous enough to attract attention you might be able to fly under the radar so to speak and disregard this e-mail. If you have some extra money lying around you could re-register your domains through an anonymous service (check google). Or if you feel like fighting the man you could resist under freedom of anonymous speech grounds

If you register with GoDaddy,.com, they have an option to register with a proxy name. You still own the domain, bu anyone doing a whois will get the contact info for the company, and not your info. It is $9 / year plus the regular registration fees.

Not that that really helps you, since you're already registered...

Back