So I just installed OS X Yosemite (10.10)..

Germanium

Limp Gawd
So I just downloaded OS X Yosemite and updated my little snitch firewall to work with it. Right after installing the newer little snitch firewall I then proceeded to use spotlight for the first time and got the following message about spotlight.

Z09oVT6.png

I never saw this firewall message on 10.9.* installs so I guess starting with 10.10 Apple would like to record everything you ever search for in spotlight now. Awesome! I know you can stop it but most people aren't going to know better. To me this is starting to feel like our consumer operating systems are going google android on us.

Windows 10 TP and now OS X 10.10 both have features like this. It just makes one wonder about the direction we're going.

From the Spotlight settings:

When you use Spotlight, your search queries, the Spotlight Suggestions you select, and related usage data will be sent to Apple. Search results found on your Mac will not be sent. If you have Location Services on your Mac turned on, when you make a search query to Spotlight the location of your Mac at that time will be sent to Apple. Searches for common words and phrases will be forwarded from Apple to Microsoft's Bing search engine. These searches are not stored by Microsoft. Location, search queries, and usage information sent to Apple will be used by Apple only to make Spotlight Suggestions more relevant and to improve other Apple products and services.

If you do not want your Spotlight search queries and Spotlight Suggestions usage data sent to Apple, you can turn off Spotlight Suggestions. Simply deselect the checkboxes for both Spotlight Suggestions and Bing Web Searches in the Search Results tab in the Spotlight preference pane found within System Preferences on your Mac. If you turn off Spotlight Suggestions and Bing Web Searches, Spotlight will search the contents of only your Mac.

You can turn off Location Services for Spotlight Suggestions in the Privacy pane of System Preferences on your Mac+by clicking on “Details” next to System Services and then deselecting “Spotlight Suggestions”. If you turn off Location Services on your Mac, your precise location will not be sent to Apple. To deliver relevant search suggestions, Apple may use the IP address of your Internet connection to approximate your location by matching it to a geographic region.

Information collected by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which can be found at www.apple.com/privacy.

What's so special about you that your privacy is that important? Just curious....? Oh wait...you probably want to keep that private :p
Well, I'm smart enough to know invasion of privacy is an issue that everyone with a brain should worry about. Don't worry, go back to watching TV, nothing to see here.

Well, I'm smart enough to know invasion of privacy is an issue that everyone with a brain should worry about. Don't worry, go back to watching TV, nothing to see here.

sounds good! don't forget to put your tin foil hat on!:D:D:D

Be mindful of sure. Worry about not so much.

Be mindful of sure. Worry about not so much.
Okay, I was mindful of it years ago when it was all tinfoil hat people but it's starting to look like everyone should be worried about their personal privacy now. At this pace in 50 years there will be no personal privacy at all. The Samsung refrigerator will know what beer you store in it and what rate you consume it (sign you up for AA) and your potential for [blank] with each ounce of beer consumed. Then an amazon drone will drop off some more (the good part:p).

On top of that I'm getting tired of being the product being sold for the largest corporations in the world to make even more billions when I'm the one that bought the product to begin with. I understand FB, it's free, and so they mine. However I bought this computer. I shouldn't be the product when I buy it.

Okay, I was mindful of it years ago when it was all tinfoil hat people but it's starting to look like everyone should be worried about their personal privacy now. At this pace in 50 years there will be no personal privacy at all. The Samsung refrigerator will know what beer you store in it and what rate you consume it (sign you up for AA) and your potential for [blank] with each ounce of beer consumed. Then an amazon drone will drop off some more (the good part:p).

On top of that I'm getting tired of being the product being sold for the largest corporations in the world to make even more billions when I'm the one that bought the product to begin with. I understand FB, it's free, and so they mine. However I bought this computer. I shouldn't be the product when I buy it.

Keep in mind, the tools used to gather data are way ahead of those used to analyze it. This is because people gather so much data, there is not enough computational power available in the world to analyze all of it. The data is also messy as hell, every company that tracks you probably has 10-15 different records that all point to you, and no way to link them together.

So, 50 years from now, they will know everything about you, but won't understand any of it.

So, 50 years from now, they will know everything about you, but won't understand any of it.
That made me laugh but I still don't want every company with a product I purchased knowing more about me then I remember. Slippery slope.

That made me laugh but I still don't want every company with a product I purchased knowing more about me then I remember. Slippery slope.

Make sure you always pay with cash, that way no one will be able to keep track of what you purchase. :D

I just upgraded to Yosemite. In Safari Clearing website history makes auto logins to be signed out. Everytime I clear website history I have to sign back into hardforum.com. Is there a work around this? Previous versions of safari would give you an option of what website data you wanted to clear.

I use Citrix Receiver to remote desktop to work and it does not work with 10.10! It is a known issue but not eta yet on an update. I HATE booting my HP when remote, takes 5+ minutes to turn on with all of the corporate crap. Takes just as long in the office but at least I have a doc and 2 monitors. My mac is up and logged in in 15 seconds and at the coffee I have no interest in waiting 5 minutes for a PC to boot.

Installed Yosemite and now my VMWARE Fusion doesn't work with this OS X

AHHHHH =(

I use Citrix Receiver to remote desktop to work and it does not work with 10.10! It is a known issue but not eta yet on an update. I HATE booting my HP when remote, takes 5+ minutes to turn on with all of the corporate crap. Takes just as long in the office but at least I have a doc and 2 monitors. My mac is up and logged in in 15 seconds and at the coffee I have no interest in waiting 5 minutes for a PC to boot.

SSD. SSD. SSD.

I just upgraded to Yosemite. In Safari Clearing website history makes auto logins to be signed out. Everytime I clear website history I have to sign back into hardforum.com. Is there a work around this? Previous versions of safari would give you an option of what website data you wanted to clear.

Probably not. It sounds like the feature was altered to make it more like iOS Safari's history cleaning.

A workaround would be to use a password manager to make the login process easier.

Spotlight now searches many different sources. It's not "spying" on you directly.

It's so that if you type in hex editor in spotlight, it will show anything on the local computer, it will show a web search result and it will show you a program in the app store. It's all about convergence. And Yosemite is going all out on the convergence.

Where's your adventure? :cool:

Image the hard drive over to an SSD and call it a day....you might have to spend some money out of pocket though.

I just so happen to have one laying around I don't use . . .

However, I am nervous about that as my pc has a few things "boot" before the OS does that is clearly security. I wonder if they have safeguards against a simple image transfer.

Supporting your point with a well-known fallacy.. not feeling it.

Companies have a good interest in obscuring who [ID:982114564322298] really is. Apple is one of those. Knowing the real name of someone with particular surfing habits means they have a lot of accountability. They don't want that. It's too much headache and work.

I own a Nest smoke alarm. Nest knows I bought it. However, they intentionally segregate the item from the purchaser in their systems. When the device faulted and started going off like crazy, I called Nest. They saw the alarms going off on their end, since the device phoned home. They also knew it was mine. However, they had no idea where the device actually was (they didn't know my address), despite them having.. my.. address.. since I bought it from them and they shipped it to me. Liability. Nest is not a dispatch service. They likely keep this data separate on purpose just to avoid "we knew his house was on fire and did nothing".. they eliminate the "his house" from the equation. It's very left/right brain separated thinking.

Supporting your point with a well-known fallacy.. not feeling it.

Companies have a good interest in obscuring who [ID:982114564322298] really is. Apple is one of those. Knowing the real name of someone with particular surfing habits means they have a lot of accountability. They don't want that. It's too much headache and work.

I own a Nest smoke alarm. Nest knows I bought it. However, they intentionally segregate the item from the purchaser in their systems. When the device faulted and started going off like crazy, I called Nest. They saw the alarms going off on their end, since the device phoned home. They also knew it was mine. However, they had no idea where the device actually was (they didn't know my address), despite them having.. my.. address.. since I bought it from them and they shipped it to me. Liability. Nest is not a dispatch service. They likely keep this data separate on purpose just to avoid "we knew his house was on fire and did nothing".. they eliminate the "his house" from the equation. It's very left/right brain separated thinking.

Extremely good point - one I wish more people would understand.

Extremely good point - one I wish more people would understand.

Help us understand....
If they're really not linking up "who" to "what" and are never going too, then why do they feel the need to track the foot steps?

So one company now makes up every company so I'm the one believing in fallacies, got it.

However, they had no idea where the device actually was (they didn't know my address), despite them having.. my.. address.. since I bought it from them and they shipped it to me
There might be a good 50-50 chance it's at the place with the IP address associated with your ISP connection. They might not know but it might also have a built in backdoor for law enforcement to use it and they'll sure as hell have access to other databases the Nest help desk guy doesn't. Either way I know computers and smartphones are more telling of a persons lifestyle than a smart thermostat.

That said it wouldn't suprise me one bit if the CIA/NSA could find out when you're home and away based on your thermostat settings, even the help desk guy would know that info.

Last edited:
I installed Yosemite over the weekend, biggest mistake I have ever made!

My mouse (Razer Mamba) is now unusable due to some weird acceleration feature they seem to have added!
Apache settings have all vanished
Network is constantly cutting out

Looks like I will be spending the rest of the day trying to downgrade, and a whole days work lost! Which I really can't afford right now :mad:

I installed Yosemite via update tool in a Mavericks VM, and the video is slow and choppy. Installing VMsvga2 will not fix it and will brick your shell. Make a snapshot first if you want to mess with it. I am currently pulling a backup of the VM from my WHS.

I installed Yosemite via update tool in a Mavericks VM, and the video is slow and choppy. Installing VMsvga2 will not fix it and will brick your shell. Make a snapshot first if you want to mess with it. I am currently pulling a backup of the VM from my WHS.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Only the latest ones support a Yosemite guest with proper video.

Soooo, based on this thread, it would generally be a good idea to hold off on updating to Yosemite? Got it. I guess I'll have to wait for the next 1-2 patches before installing it. I can't afford to have downtime or glitches (my machine is for work!).

Good thing I checked here. Was going to install it.

Last edited:
Soooo, based on this thread, it would generally be a good idea to hold off on updating to Yosemite? Got it. I guess I'll have to wait for the next 1-2 patches before installing it. I can't afford to have downtime or glitches (my machine is for work!).

Good thing I checked here. Was going to install it.

For future reference, it has never, ever, in the history of the world, been a good idea to put all of your chips into the very first release of a thing. Never.

For future reference, it has never, ever, in the history of the world, been a good idea to put all of your chips into the very first release of a thing. Never.

I'm aware. However, because of the increased speed in which Apple has been releasing new versions of its OS, it has become more iterative.

Older Mac Pro (2011) here at work and every time (trying for 3rd time now) this is installed the machine get kernel panics and goes tits up...about to tell boss to stick with whats working

That made me spill ma morning coffee...lol. True on all fronts. I'm through being the early adopter on anything.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Only the latest ones support a Yosemite guest with proper video.

I upgraded a Mavericks installation in VMware Workstation. You are right though, the video is slow and not so good like in Mavericks.

I upgraded a Mavericks installation in VMware Workstation. You are right though, the video is slow and not so good like in Mavericks.

Yosemite doesn't have acceleration in Workstation yet. For now, you need to use Fusion or Parallels on another Mac.

I just so happen to have one laying around I don't use . . .

However, I am nervous about that as my pc has a few things "boot" before the OS does that is clearly security. I wonder if they have safeguards against a simple image transfer.
should mention that if you plug in a USB device with OS X installed (or a EUFI Windows install) you can just straight boot it from the USB device and use it natively

that's how I pwned my work MBPr anyway

Back