so i upgraded to an AMD Phenom X4 II 620 and Photoshop CS4 is still slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

hordak

Limp Gawd
so i just upgraded to an Athlon II X4 620 processor and Win7 64bit. My CPU score went from 4.7 to 7.1, and my memory went from 5.1 to 7.2, even though i kept the same 4gb of PC800 DDR2 ram.

scorei.jpg

the problem is that photoshop cs4 still runs hell of slow. I mean, it was virtually unusable before (I used CS2 the most) but it's still kinda slow now. Just opening a 1600x1200 image and using the lasso is slow. There's a lag between the time i press the button and the lasso takes effect. CS4 can't be this unoptimized :(

What can I do to make it faster? I'm using this motherboard, so I'm limited to PC1066 DDR2 ram or slower.

yeah it went from painfully slow to awkwardly slow. maybe im expecting too much from a $99 processor. or I just need to get 8gb of PC1066 ram :(

Well, maybe your bottleneck isn't at the processor. Before splurging on an extra 4gb of ram, I'd check your current usage first.

overclock the puppy.. even on stock cooling you should have no problems hitting 3.2-3.4ghz.. should see a nice performance gain.. the athlon II's and phenom II's scale pretty nicely above 3ghz unlike the phenom I's and athlon x2's..

Yeah I'd put my money on the HDD side of things.

You can also enable GPU support on CS4 too with the appropriate GPU of course.

List your full system specs.

- AMD Phenom X4 II 620
- ECS A780GM-A Ultra AM2+/AM3 AMD ATX AMD Motherboard
- G.SKILL (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ -
- Nvidia 7950GT 512mb ram
- 5 different hard drives, ranging from 200gb to 1tb.

i should overclock it. if i can figure it out....

oops my bad. i just unchecked enable opengl drawing and that worked like a charm. apparently cs4 doesn't like my video card. thanks for the help, everyone!

Last edited:
I use an athlon x2 5000+ and mine doesnt have lag like that, also only have 3 gigs of ram.........Mine runs perfectly fine. I also do video editing and have no problems(cs4, AE, Vegas).......it's got to be something else.

get a 30G vertex SSD for your pics!

yeah my photos take up 87gb, not including the 18gb or so I backed up onto DVD, or the 11gb of photos i've retouched and actually uploaded to my flickr :)

Just for shits and giggles, try turning on ACC and see if you have any L3 cache on that chip.

something else is wrong there, My sisters photoshop box is an x2 7850 and it runs faster than that with 6mp pictures(3000x2000) roughly

- AMD Phenom X4 II 620
- ECS A780GM-A Ultra AM2+/AM3 AMD ATX AMD Motherboard
- G.SKILL (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ -
- Nvidia 7950GT 512mb ram
- 5 different hard drives, ranging from 200gb to 1tb.

i should overclock it. if i can figure it out....
Run a HDD bench and post the results.
Are you running a RAID configuration?
I ran into an issue with a SATA RAID 0 setup. It was ridiculously slow. I ran HDD benchmark software and it was slower than a single SATA. I pulled the RAID setup and went with a single 1TB drive which was over twice as fast and never went back.

hmmm for a 1600x1200 image something else is wrong.. Even on my old pentium m laptop it didn't have that prob. What do you have running in the background? Don't spend money on DDR2. Also enable graphics card acceleration in photoshop preferences performance settings.

*edit nvm I just read above

Last edited:
yes thanks for the help but my system works fine now. is there a way i can lock this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back