So i want a PS2

beanman101283

2[H]4U
Yeah, a PS2. Not a PS3. I'm a little behind on things.

I've got STALKER and Shivering Isles to keep me busy on the PC, but for the 360 i'm pretty much waiting for Mass Effect this summer. It's only been out for almost 7 years now, but i'm thinking of picking up a PS2 so i can catch up on some of the games i've been hearing about lately (God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, MGS, Final Fantasy) but to be honest i don't really know much about the system, so i have a couple quick questions.

I saw that the current models have an ethernet connection. Should i hook that up to get any software revisions or is that only for online gaming? Also, do i need to get a memory card? Finally, it's backwards compatible with all of the PS1 games as well, right?

Oh, and what game should i get first? :)

The ethernet is just for online play, of which there is almost none. Don't bother, unless it's built into the console (it isn't).

You need a memory card, most definitely. There's no built-in memory, so the card is essential. If you'll be playing any PS1 games, you'll need a mem card for the PS1 as well.

For starting games, I can only suggest the ones I enjoy and think are worth playing: Katamari Damacy, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, ICO, Wipeout, and maybe Kingdom Hearts. The thing is, there are tons of great PS2 games that I haven't even touched yet, so it's a great buy if you're not all horny for bump-mapped super-detail on the new consoles. Sometimes gameplay can be more important than rendering every pore on my character's face... :)

The ethernet port is only for FF11 + some other online enabled games, either for multiplayer or content. To my knowledge, Sony has never pushed any PS2 software updates other than with a new hardware revision.

Yes, you must absolutely have a memory card. Get a Sony brand one, the others (especially the 16MB models) seem to die a lot more...*shrug*.

As for what games to get first...I'm pretty sure the PS2 is RPG king (well, J-RPG king), and has a huuuge library of exclusives to choose from as well as the usual multi-platform fare.

It's compatible with most PS1 games, (except a few esoteric ones), and with really only V6, V7s and later being available, you have nothing to worry about. (Early PS2s actually could not play some later titles because the libraries were updated.)

I just picked up a PS2 last week. god of war 1and 2 are fantastic games. Shadow of the collosus as well. Might want to throw DMC on there too. You can get the 5 year anniversary edition for $30, which includes all 3 games. if you have an HDTV, pick up the sony RGB cables from newegg for $20.

Cool, thanks everyone for the info. Hopefully this week after i get paid i'll be able to pick one up. I'm thinking I'll pick up God of War and maybe Shadow of the Collosus, depending on how much it is.

Definitely get God of War 1 and 2. I barely play console games lately but I sure did enjoy God of War a lot. God of War 1 should be under $20 nowadays. Okami is also suppose to be amazing.

Just got God Of War 2, It rocks, btw I got the devil may cry collectors, did not like #3.

Like mentioned above, pickup a memory card if you haven't already, definitely get official Sony ones because most third party ones are crap.

As for games:

+ Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories
+ Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
+ Katamari Damacy
+ Metal Gear Solid 3
+ Final Fantasy X
+ Shadow of Colossus
+ Jak & Daxter Series
+ Ratchet & Clank Series
+ Resident Evil 4 (if you don't have a Gamecube)

MGS2 & 3
FF12
MegamanX collection
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Awesome game. I bought it at GS for 25, now it's 50-80 on ebay thou)
Guitar Hero 1 or 2 (unless u have a 360)

as mentioned:
God of War 1,2
Devil May Cry series
Ratchet & Clank series
Jak & Daxter series
Guitar Hero 1,2
DDR GAMES :)
DBZ Budakai series
Metal Gear Solid...

Man I could go on for days. Go to your local walmart and hit up the Greatest hits collection $20 and under and its always full of awesome games.

Yeah, a PS2. Not a PS3. I'm a little behind on things.

I've got STALKER and Shivering Isles to keep me busy on the PC, but for the 360 i'm pretty much waiting for Mass Effect this summer. It's only been out for almost 7 years now, but i'm thinking of picking up a PS2 so i can catch up on some of the games i've been hearing about lately (God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, MGS, Final Fantasy) but to be honest i don't really know much about the system, so i have a couple quick questions.

I saw that the current models have an ethernet connection. Should i hook that up to get any software revisions or is that only for online gaming? Also, do i need to get a memory card? Finally, it's backwards compatible with all of the PS1 games as well, right?

Oh, and what game should i get first? :)

Sir, the Playstation 2 in my lifetime had some of the most amazing games come out. You defidently have to play Metal Gear Solid 2. Which is one of my favorites. And, also play Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4 (if you haven't already), Gran Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas (if you haven't already), and Shadow of the Colossus. That's all I can think of for now, but defidently get those.

MGS2 & 3
FF12
MegamanX collection
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Awesome game. I bought it at GS for 25, now it's 50-80 on ebay thou)
Guitar Hero 1 or 2 (unless u have a 360)

It's cheaper to buy a Dreamcast and the DC version of MvC2 than it is to buy the PS2 version of MV2, and the DC version looks better.

Yeah i was planning to pick up Guitar Hero for the 360 eventually.

Thanks for the game suggestions. I had forgotten about Okami, that's definitely on my list. The GTA games have never done much for me. I never got around to RE4 either so that'll be something i pick up. Lots of gaming goodness in my future. :)

Back