So I went to Microcenter, and they got BD's, but...

mzs_biteme

[H]ard|Gawd
Not all of them.... According to the sales guy, they got a drop shipment of 4100 and 6100's yesterday. 8120, and 8150's were supposed to be "drop shipped" today. This is from MC in Overland Park, KS:
Excuse crappy BB pics...:rolleyes:

FX4100 and 6100's
IMG00394-20111012-1222.jpg

Price stickers for FX8120 and 8150's (ouch :eek:):
IMG00395-20111012-1222.jpg

Meanwhile, i2500k...;)
IMG00396-20111012-1223.jpg

I was the only one looking at the CPU cabinet and asking about Bulldozers... Other than that > crickets....:eek:

I would maybe like a 8150 to play with if prices dropped by more then $100. No way I would pay $280 for it. I was almost too cheap to get a 2500K @ MC's price lol.

MC had 2500K on sale last week for $150. Went in to get one and got it cheap for testing. :D

so since mc has been flogging the i5-2500K for $180 for months now...are they just eating it on those (selling at loss?) and hoping to make it up on mb /memory sales??

Wow..... I don't have any vested interest in BD, in fact I've never built an AMD system, but today makes me sad.

so since mc has been flogging the i5-2500K for $180 for months now...are they just eating it on those (selling at loss?) and hoping to make it up on mb /memory sales??

yea their mobo prices , video card prices and ram prices allways seem higher than the web.

they use a few items as a loss leader to get you into the store.

$280 for an FX-8150...not a huge ouch, but it's still an ouch.

<fights down urge to go to MC and snag an i7/2600K and 'board>

Just about every time I've gone there to buy CPU/Mobo combo (twice in the last 5yrs) I ended up getting RAM and HDD one time, and new case/PS another... That's what they're cashing in on... Hell, I almost got in on their $149 i2500k special they had a week ago, but was too late (Fri, Sat only I was there on Sun...:mad:), but I would have walked out with CPU/Mobo/more RAM so yeah, it works in their favor a lot of times...;)

I don't think it was ever delivered to that store...:confused:

Well our OP store is actually quite lazy with digital inventory. I've been there many times with things listed as '1' in stock which I order for pick up and it turns out that its been sold out for a week.:eek:

So wait, the top BD is retailing for the SAME price as a 2600k?! I know AMD jumped the shark after socket 939, but this is a whole different level of stupid. I can almost understand a chip that has less performance and greater energy consumption but is drastically cheaper, but equal pricing? Really?

So wait, the top BD is retailing for the SAME price as a 2600k?! I know AMD jumped the shark after socket 939, but this is a whole different level of stupid. I can almost understand a chip that has less performance and greater energy consumption but is drastically cheaper, but equal pricing? Really?

Supposedly these MC prices have a $30 "store markup" on them. But like I said, I didn't see anybody else looking at or asking about BD, and I was there for good 30~45min (checking out 1155 mobos...;)), so I wouldn't be surprised to see these prices slashed down under some kind of promotion, and sell for $169 and $199 (to compete with i2500k). I give it a month....:cool:

Hmm, Microcenter also has a $80 discount on Z68 motherboards if purchased with 2600k at $279.99. Was looking at Asus Z68 Pro(129.99) and Deluxe(169.99) at a great price. Will head their later tonite or tomorrow to pick this set up.

Too sad about BD, wanted it to be better. But waiting for Ivy Bridge to replace my 3 Gulftown rigs in a couple more months.

yea their mobo prices , video card prices and ram prices allways seem higher than the web.

they use a few items as a loss leader to get you into the store.

i think their MB prices are very competitive with online prices.
in some cases they were lower than newegg, in others they were higher. but they were generally within $10 of each other, not factoring in tax or shipping.

Up in Canuck land at the moment it's even more fail:

2500k - $203
2600k - $308

FX-8120 - $244
FX-8150 - $288

Up in Canuck land at the moment it's even more fail:

2500k - $203
2600k - $308

FX-8120 - $244
FX-8150 - $288

Not really, at least you see "some" savings there. At MC here an FX8150 is $279 and a 2600k is $279... The 2500K is $179 and the 8120 is $239...

Just placed an order (and it shipped already!) from newegg.ca.

Wanted the 8150 but they were out of stock , so i got the 8120 for 239CDN.

Called all around the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and no one had stock. So my money went to newegg. But they have a promo right now where if you spend 300 they give a a $30 off promo code for later.
so not too bad if you take that into account. Gave me an excuse to pick up 8Gb of DDR3 2133.

I am trying to resist the urge to order one of those right now. I'm very surprised that n-c-i-x doesn't have them listed yet.

Maybe I should go read over some of the benchmarks again, that'll do the trick :D

Yesterday went to the Duluth, Atlanta MC store and got a i5 2400 for $150. AT's review shows the i5 2400 easily beating the FX-8150 in most games.

i didnt even know we had a microcenter in detroit hmm i might have to make drive to get a 2500k i wont feel as guilty if i get one for 180 or less and replace it when IB comes out.

Microcenter will pricematch any of Newegg's prices and beat them by 5%.

They also have/had $40 off i2500K + Z68 mobo combo deals, even when the i2500K was going for $150 <--- this was an insane combo deal that lasted a short while.

and

They also have/had $80 off i2600K + Z68 combo deals. This is $80 off already competitive prices.

So anyone who has a microcenter nearby would be insane to go with a different platform, unless they were on an extreme budget, or needed something different for whatever reason, or are just brand loyal to AMD

Not trying to act as a Microcenter shill, but clearing up some of the other info posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Glad I wasn't the only one to get a Bulldozer! Yeah, when I checked they were sold out of the 8150's so I went with the 8120. After reading the [H] review again, kinda glad I did. Overclocking it to 4.2/4.4/4.6Ghz should be doable, and according to the review no big difference between the two anyway. I just hope that at those speeds it's faster than the 1090t @ 3.9/4.2Ghz.

I sincerely hope AMD does an LGA style socket like the G34 for the refresh.

Called all around the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and no one had stock. So my money went to newegg. But they have a promo right now where if you spend 300 they give a a $30 off promo code for later.
so not too bad if you take that into account. Gave me an excuse to pick up 8Gb of DDR3 2133.

Microcenter prices are different. Retail price for Bulldozer is $260 or 270 I think, while retail for the 2600k is $320 or so. If you do have a Microcenter, however, there is no debate on which processor you get. And actually, at current prices, the only Bulldozer maybe worth getting is the FX-8120.

If you want BD just wait I am sure Microcenter will have some deal. They just came in so I am guessing corp has not had time to work something in. But they typically have free motherboards with AMD purchases.

TigerDirect (aka CompUSA) got them now....

Check out the shipping time-frame...:eek:

15ydvzq.jpg

Can't believe they don't sell out with "reviews" like this one.... :eek::eek::eek:

13yqug.jpg

man microcenter is making this difficult for me, when you buy a 2600k for 280 you can put an asus z68 pro board in your cart which before in your cart its 209 but after its in your cart with a 2600k it drops to only 130 instead of 209... thats a crazy good deal...

ugh what to do what to do

man microcenter is making this difficult for me, when you buy a 2600k for 280 you can put an asus z68 pro board in your cart which before in your cart its 209 but after its in your cart with a 2600k it drops to only 130 instead of 209... thats a crazy good deal...

ugh what to do what to do

If I had a MC near me I'd get the same thing except he z68 regular for just $99 :eek:

If I had a MC near me I'd get the same thing except he z68 regular for just $99 :eek:

yeah, but part of me wants to pick up an 8150 just to mess around with but the other part of me says sell my CHV and pick up the microcenter deal for a 2600k instead i wish i could afford both lol

Microcenter will pricematch any of Newegg's prices and beat them by 5%.

They also have/had $40 off i2500K + Z68 mobo combo deals, even when the i2500K was going for $150 <--- this was an insane combo deal that lasted a short while.

and

They also have/had $80 off i2600K + Z68 combo deals. This is $80 off already competitive prices.

So anyone who has a microcenter nearby would be insane to go with a different platform, unless they were on an extreme budget, or needed something different for whatever reason, or are just brand loyal to AMD

Not trying to act as a Microcenter shill, but clearing up some of the other info posted in this thread.

The price match + 5% is this done at any MC?

I hate to say this, but for anyone looking to maximize performance per dollar would be a fool to go AMD when the I5-2500k is significantly cheaper then even the 8120... microcenter has i5-2500k WITH Z68 motherboard for low as $239. Im a fool, so im still going to get bulldozer but at least im going to wait for price to drop.

Back