So my GTX 670 died... I picked up a GTX 960... meh

Glad you were able to have your self-esteem pumped up to this level over a video card that competes with a last-gen model that came out a bit under 2 years ago, M'Lord.

Pardon me but ..... where is it you see any competing going on here?

I'll tell you what I see out of this new AMD release. I see a card targeted to replace older cards in the low end graphics market and not the gaming market at all. They are targeting this card for business productivity workstations, not gaming rigs or bit-coin farmers. And I think it's simply an updated version of older cards that AMD has sold in this market segment in the past and need a refresh.

Is there anything anyone sees differently out of this cause this is not a competitive gaming card as I see it and I see no point in evaluating it as such. Doesn't mean some games won't run on it. It's capable enough up to a point and that's where it stops.

I'll tell you what I see out of this new AMD release. I see a card targeted to replace older cards in the low end graphics market and not the gaming market at all. They are targeting this card for business productivity workstations, not gaming rigs or bit-coin farmers. And I think it's simply an updated version of older cards that AMD has sold in this market segment in the past and need a refresh.

Is there anything anyone sees differently out of this cause this is not a competitive gaming card as I see it and I see no point in evaluating it as such. Doesn't mean some games won't run on it. It's capable enough up to a point and that's where it stops.

Can it run most games at 1920x1080 with high details at 60fs? Yes? That's what I call a good gaming card.

And how well does the PS4 and Xbox One run business productivity software? Not all gamers need maxed settings on the newest games. I'm a gamer, and a GTX 970/RX 480 offers performance on par with what I want out of my games, if not more.

The $200-250 price bracket is not low end. Think GTX 750/Ti, 940, and 950 in the $100-180 range, and at the lower end of the spectrum, at that. The 480 may be considered low-end to a majority of us enthusiasts, but not to the majority of volume buyers that a company such as AMD and nVidia relies on for sheer product volume and revenue: average consumers and business/enterprise.

man how things have changed around here...

Ended up getting a used 970, for those who care, and it's one heck of a card. 200 bucks is a right price for it

For sure. I had one briefly and then downgraded to a ghz 7970 and didnt see any difference -- my gaming needs must be a lot lighter then everyone elses.

man how things have changed around here...

Ended up getting a used 970, for those who care, and it's one heck of a card. 200 bucks is a right price for it

Good for you sir!!

I wish I had known the market was gonna take such a plunge. But back in Nov, I needed a new card for Fallout 4, so I got a 960.

At least mine OC's decent....

I just sold a GTX 970 and will be side-grading to an RX 480. I expect, based on leaked benchmarks, for the RX 480 to perform about the same as my 970, but with lower power consumption (don't care) and FreeSync support (whole reason for the side-grade).

The RX 480 supposedly has performance between a stock 970 and a stock 980. Problem is, so do most 970s. Almost every 970 on shelves today is an overclocked AIB, and even if you don't OC yourself, you'd still get this benefit. My former card, according to benchmarks, falls within striking distance of a stock 980 (970 stock = 100%, 970 SC = 105.3%, 980 = 113.7%). That comparison is based on TPU's performance summary (SOURCE -1080p) in an EVGA SC review. My SSC was even faster. So, a stock RX 480 4GB @ $199 should be on par with most AIB GTX 970s. So I'd go 970 new at $200 or less, 970 used at $175 or less, or wait for the RX 480. Or, wait for AIB custom 480s, which should compete with or surpass a stock 980. Rumors peg these as mid-July.

Hi Daniel,
how did the 480 work out compared to the 970.
My expectations are that it should be as good or slightly-to-noteable better in other games, but curious to know for sure.
Thanks

Hi Daniel,
how did the 480 work out compared to the 970.
My expectations are that it should be as good or slightly-to-noteable better in other games, but curious to know for sure.
Thanks

Patiently waiting. I don't normally do reference cards, and the power related fiasco has me more turned off.

I'm buy the first decent custom card from MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, or maybe someone else.

Patiently waiting. I don't normally do reference cards, and the power related fiasco has me more turned off.

I'm buy the first decent custom card from MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, or maybe someone else.
Ah k,
and yeah makes sense.
Not too long to wait for MSI, seems like it could be in 1-2 weeks.
Cheers

$200 for a 970...nice! I may just have to scour the FS subforum, because a couple months ago I was considering dropping no more than that on a 950 or 960 to upgrade my kids 570.

I'd go 480 or 1060 even if they were equal to a cheaper used last gen card. More vram, NEW, and a warranty.

Back