So my machine was running a little slow...

Crashsector

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so my main desktop at home is a Dimension 4700 with a 3.4GHz P4HT and 1GB RAM. I am running two instances of folding, both with bigpackets and advmethods.

I got home from work and noticed it was running kind of slow. Then it started swapping a lot for simple stuff like opening IE. I opened task manager and saw that my CPU usage was split between the two instances and not much else. Everything looked normal, so I didn't give it any more thought.

Fast forward a few hours. It was really noticeably slow now. So I reopen task manager and decide to scroll over to memory usage. What makes my find so much more dramatic was that both cores were all the way at the bottom. So, I find this:

fah-bigmem.GIF

It kinda took me off guard. Not that I mind though. I'm just glad the lag is going towards something rewarding.

BTW, it's working on p1912_ALA-dipeptide_umb2 and p1910_ALA-depeptide.

lucky. 2 of them 450 pointers. I am stuck with 241 pointers now due to my A64 :(

Yea, my farm has been saturated with them for the past week. I wonder if upping the RAM to 512MB will help any.

Wait a tick... I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford is in with the hardware companies on this! Great indirect marketing.

I've had some QMD's taking 317 meg ram per instance. That adds up quickly.

Yup... I was having some problems with two instances running 2 QMDs... lots of RAM... I have a GB of RAM and they were both using around 300MB... I turned the big packets off on one of them now....

Keep on Folding!!

I wish my A64 got QMDs.

Instead i get stupid 76pt WUs like the p1279 it's munching now. A nice 121ppd out of my A64 3500. =/

I think I needa reconfig the A64, as it's been getting these more often lately, looks like what my xp-m 2500 was getting on Timeless WUs.

That's odd, my A64 rig has been getting lots of the 241 point tinkers. It's getting just a hair under 220 ppd as it takes about 27 hrs/per on these. It would be real nice if they got the A64 optimized QMD's out there, as my PC is just gagging for a little Big Unit goodness. :D

p[H]ant0m said:
That's odd, my A64 rig has been getting lots of the 241 point tinkers. It's getting just a hair under 220 ppd as it takes about 27 hrs/per on these. It would be real nice if they got the A64 optimized QMD's out there, as my PC is just gagging for a little Big Unit goodness. :D

Same here

Be careful what you wish for, you may get more than you bargained for. 2 of my boxen have been on a steady diet of these monsters, since the new versions emerged. Typically, snag 325MB+ of RAM until WF convergeance is reached. They not only use RAM in quantity, but memory bandwidth as well. Stanford plans to up the ante on memory usage for these beasts. 500MB+ for rigs capable. As long as the boxen are used for nothing else, just dump some more RAM in and smile. If you use the rigs, you will notice some proggies occasionally glitching. An unexpected pause, while playing Winamp, is a small price to pay for the level of computations the system is performing. You are aware of it though.

550+ ppd on one, and @380ppd is nice though.

I haven't dropped in at Stanford in a few days, but they promised to be working on a getting SSE2 for AMD's to work with the QMD cores. I hope it's soon. Too many high powered AMD rigs, sitting in the wings waiting. All the teams, could use the points boost. Especially the [H]orde.

p[H]ant0m said:

If ya don't mind me asking, what's the speed on your A64 rig? Mine's a 3500 (folding @ stock speeds atm) and it pulls in ~200ppd when the 241pt wus come. Right now doing 189ppd on a 239pt wu.

mr_ouija said:
If ya don't mind me asking, what's the speed on your A64 rig? Mine's a 3500 (folding @ stock speeds atm) and it pulls in ~200ppd when the 241pt wus come. Right now doing 189ppd on a 239pt wu.

It's a 3500 Newcastle with a slight O/C to 2.4. The 220 was a real rough approximation based on the last time I check EMIII. For some reason though, lately it seems as though my time per unit has been flucuating some obscene amounts and has been throwing off my estimated time to completion.

I just got a couple of these when I was doing homework in the lab and they all crapped out on me until I had to stop using the -advmethods switch. :(

Obviously your problem is that you are wasting to much memory on mspaint !!

gnewbury said:
Obviously your problem is that you are wasting to much memory on mspaint !!

I once made a 10000x10000 image in mspaint. It took a while to do anything with that open... ;)

I later went on to run /dev/zero into gzip and similar feats. I've got a TB of zeroes in a 68k zip file somewhere...

Back