So so many soundcards to choose from...

SpiderX1016

Weaksauce
There are so many different kinds of X-Fi series. I see Turtle beach still makes some and a few Auzens and some Asus. Never used them but I hear a lot about them.

I have a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and looking to upgrade my onboard sound card. My budget is around $50-70. I play games 40/music 40/movies 20

Back then, I could of just chose between the Audigy 2 ZS or the M-Audio Revolution (which I had and liked but the drivers sucked.).

Last edited:
How does a sound card future proof your pc?

Why does it matter? I can't buy a sound card and keep it for my next computer and my next one and my next one?

or I guess I can't make threads asking for a better sound card.

At that budget you should look at Asus DX, It's PCI-e so it probably will be usable in your next build. The Xonar has better specs all around compared to the X-fi.

I recently picked a D1 over a DX. I don't really care for the location on my computer of the PCI-e slots and I don't like how the DX needs a floppy connector..

I figure by the time my next build comes around I might want a different card anyway..even then not convinced all motherboard won't come with at least one PCI slot..

I was just curious how you thought a sound card would "future proof" your PC. I was curious, did not mean to set you off.

At your budget, the Asus DX beats out any Creative card (even those more expensive). Creative Labs has crap drivers which is why I don't advise going with them. Plus the Asus now supports (emulates but 99.9% as good as actual) EAX 5.0.

^ that's a strong opinion, albeit not based on facts.
Firstly, the prices:
PCI-Express
Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Retail - $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 - $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006
Note that unlike the Xonar, the Sound Blaster is the real PCI express card. Xonar uses a PCI to PCI-e bridge so it is PCI disguised as PCI-e for the motherboard. I would not be as quick to claim 99.9% EAX compatibility of the emulation. Emulation is when you use software in lieu of hardware, but not when you use software in lieu of hardware and know-how. If Asus were not that cheap they would licence EAX and not try to reverse-engineer it. Besides Xonars use generic CMI8788 Oxygen chip rebranded as "AV200" also found on much cheaper cards from Sondigo or 3D Theatron running exactly same software. Not saying that Xonar cards are garbage but you need to know the limitation of every product when buying. Xonars are not designed for gaming. Meanwhile my X-Fi works fine both under XP and Vista.

Back