So what happened to the OLED TVs?

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
It looks like the perpetually delayed OLED TVs were delayed again.

Remember back in January at CES, Samsung and LG were both shipping 55" OLED TV's this year.

The LG Unit was Best of CES:
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57358177/lgs-55-inch-55em9600-oled-tv-wins-best-of-ces/
"OLED is potentially the best TV technology ever, and CNET editors agreed that 2012 would be the year of the organic diode. "

Now we are in December with no 55" OLEDs in sight? Will they "release" a dozen units in December to claim they "shipped"? :rolleyes:

Or will they show up at CES with OLEDs again, saying they will really ship this year, honest...

I think it might be due to legal issues. Samsung accused LG of stealing their technology and LG counter sued for something similar

Those two are always at each other's throats.

I was also hoping for some new OLED tech but seems like it stopped for some reason. I remember OLED lcds were getting into market when I bought my 30" lcd monitor.

I would assume they are still struggling with yields and quality issues, just like they have been for the last several years.

On the plus side LCD might become so good soon that no one cares about OLED.

On the plus side LCD might become so good soon that no one cares about OLED.

Not possible. LCD is a transmissive type display, which has several disadvantages

1. Efficiency: LCD only allows 5-7% of the total light output from the backlight to pass through, which is still extremely inefficient. Say your monitor is rated 30 watts, ~20% is lost during AC to DC conversion (providing the adapter is 80% efficient), which leaves 24 watts. Few more watts is taken up by the internal components which leaves around 20 watts, out which only 2 watts is outputted by the display.

2. Black level: TN and VA can't complete with OLED due to their narrow viewing angles, which leaves IPS and PLS. Every year, IPS black levels improve by 0.01 cd/m2. Based on that projection, it will take IPS panels 10 years to match current Panasonic plasmas (providing manufactures don't run into any physical barriers) and up to 20-30 years to match current OLED. There's not enough data to project PLS black level improvements.

3. LCD is composed of multiple layers (up to 6 in most cases but they do vary depending on the mode), which increases complexity, yield and quality control hence why some bleed more than others. OLED however can be printed onto a single fixed or flexible substrate.

4. AM-LCDs are hold-type displays with independent light-source, therefore it can never match the motion clarity of plasma and OLED.

5. OLEDs are highly transparent and LCDs only 5-7% transparent, which means OLEDs can be combined with electrochromatric glass to create Transparent Display and so on.

Basically the benefit of OLED far outweighs LCDs in every sector

Last edited:
This just a concept. The actual models are likely to be highly minimalistic. Since it can seamlessly blend in with the environment when inactive, it should help to brake the size barrier.

transparent-see-through-tv.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked for some LED monitors but it seems like there are no no 30" LEDs. Is this a size limitation or more of a demand thing?

Don't call it LED monitors. It's misleading. It's an LCD with LED backlight.

Most of them are either 2010 or 2011 models and the 2013 models may feature LED. They may have skipped before due to the blue tint issue. But to be honest, LED doesn't actually improve image quality. All it does is eliminates mercury, reduces the size and weight and cuts down power consumption.

Gotcha. So they might still have issues then? Also don't you get better blacks, contrast with LED? I thought they were supposed to look better. If not, it doesn't seem much better when they are more expensive IMO. Like why would anyone care if their monitor is 2 cm thinner for more money? It looks better, but for desktop not much use I think.

Not entirely sure. Can't see any issue on mine. But my previous Dell did have an obvious blue tint. As for blacks and contrast, unless it's locally dimmed it doesn't make a difference.

To the manufacturers LEDs are cheaper than CCFLs, but some do sell LED at a premium simply because of its form factor. But most LED-LCD monitors these days cost the same as CCFLs.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, that makes sense. Btw you also referred to them as "LED monitors" :)

what happened to SED? what happened to FED? there were a lot of good ideas, most never saw mass production. oled... well funny thing is 'they' keep pushing the date back more and more. i'd be shocked and happy if we see some affordable ones for sale by 2016

what happened to SED? what happened to FED? there were a lot of good ideas, most never saw mass production. oled... well funny thing is 'they' keep pushing the date back more and more. i'd be shocked and happy if we see some affordable ones for sale by 2016

Canon brought Toshiba to the SED party, CNT got pissed, lawsuits were involved, which killed off SED for good.

As for FED, Sony gave up on the tech and sold it to AUO.

What are you doing up so early mate? :)

So then OLED is the most promising display technology in the near future?
Was playing Mass Effect 3 :D.

as things stand OLED is the future, (unless something better comes along and manages to survive the barrage of lawsuits).

ME3, now that's a familiar name :)

Before OLED, will the manufacturers not try to exhaust LED for profit?

That's exactly what they are doing atm. They can't push LCD any further without committing more resources, so instead of improving it, they are making it cheaper and more affordable.

Not possible. LCD is a transmissive type display, which has several disadvantages

1. Efficiency: LCD only allows 5-7% of the total light output from the backlight to pass through, which is still extremely inefficient. Say your monitor is rated 30 watts, ~20% is lost during AC to DC conversion (providing the adapter is 80% efficient), which leaves 24 watts. Few more watts is taken up by the internal components which leaves around 20 watts, out which only 2 watts is outputted by the display.

Not really.

In practice LCD use less power than emissive displays (OLED/CRT/Plasma) when displaying a lot of bright areas on the screen. When displaying mostly dark areas, then emissive displays use less power.

I would assume they are still struggling with yields and quality issues, just like they have been for the last several years.

i have seen a lot of silly responses in this thread but this guy is the only one that has been right.

LG was supposed to release a big OLED screen at the end of this year but they have been struggling with yields.

I wouldnt worry OLEDs are coming and will eventually co-exist with probably just LEDs as they are the two most competitive types of televisions or atleast will be. to be honest i am more interested in an OLED monitor

LG was supposed to release a big OLED screen at the end of this year but they have been struggling with yields.

I wouldnt worry OLEDs are coming and will eventually co-exist with probably just LEDs as they are the two most competitive types of televisions or atleast will be. to be honest i am more interested in an OLED monitor

Both LG and Samsung were supposed to release before the end of the year, both appear to have failed. There has been roadmaps and promises, that get broken so often on this, that I will be surprised when they actually deliver one one of these promises. They are like the boy that cried wolf at this point.

I am lot more interested in an OLED TV, becasue that is where the black level really matters more and burn in matters less.

Not really.

In practice LCD use less power than emissive displays (OLED/CRT/Plasma) when displaying a lot of bright areas on the screen. When displaying mostly dark areas, then emissive displays use less power.

Compared to current OLED, Plasma and CRT yes. I was mearly pointing out the shot comings of transmissible display. Having said that OLED efficiency is improving every year. There's still a long way to go.

Also white OLEDs with RGB color filter uses a lot more power than RGB OLED. But they to help to address the current issue of uneven ageing

Last edited:
Yeah,
I've given up on even caring for these "next generation" displays. Many years ago when SED was unveiled, I was excited. Also during the initial OLED hype. Shit's never gonna arrive.

I'm pretty content with my Plasma tv and IPS monitor. The new ones are good enough.

Yeah,
I've given up on even caring for these "next generation" displays. Many years ago when SED was unveiled, I was excited. Also during the initial OLED hype. Shit's never gonna arrive.

I'm pretty content with my Plasma tv and IPS monitor. The new ones are good enough.

OLED will arrive and it will dominate the market, it holds the most possibilities and produces the best picture quality especially in terms of color reproduction.

CRT, LCD and plasma have all conquered color reproduction. It's not difficult to match sRGB or the higher wide gamut standards. All three can also display 10bit and above.

i do think that samsung will start selling an OLED TV next year, probably around spring time. but it will be $10,000, and word is that even with compensation technology the blues will burn out in only 4 years of normal use. they've already had an OLED tablet on the market since earlier this year, so i have confidence in them, they have more experience with the technology than anybody else.

mark CES on your calendar, both LG and samsung are probably going to 're-launch' their OLED tv's and we'll know more.

but the upcoming flagship panasonic plasma is just as exciting really, it'll be very close to those OLED tv's and only a fraction of the cost. again, we'll know more at CES.

Back