so what headset will compliment a Sound Blaster Z?

Ticker305

[H]ard|Gawd
It's confirmed, my xmas wish has been fulfilled, thanks to my sexy santi. Now the hunt for a headset begins, love this card so far and a good headset will only make it better.

Beyerdynamic MMX-2, little brother to the MMX 300 (which are DT770 headphones.) They're Beyerdynamic DT-235 with a good quality mic attached to them. Very similar sound (measured) to Audio Technica ATH-A700 but more controlled low end. They don't have that dark sound that Sennheiser HD280 Pro have, nor do they hype frequencies below 110Hz to make it seem like the headphones can create anything but kick bass. Mid-range response is similar to any of the forward headphones similar to Grado, AKG or of course Beyer. They're also notched at around 3kHz and don't have much of a high frequency roll off for a wider sounding sound stage, which is what you want for positional audio. They're light on the head, and the ears don't get very hot after prolonged wear since they're supra-aural. That's my recommendation, no amp required and you can actually listen to music on this headset without missing anything.

However, if you have money to burn, I'd suggest an Objective2 amp (or something cheap and neutral like a Presonus HP4), a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (or AKG Q701, or Dennon AHD-2000, or Beyerdynamic DT880) and a AntLion ModMic. That'd compliment any sound card down the road.

And then of course dirt cheap and unamped audio can be had from the Plantronics Gamecom series, but the build quality is very poor on the pivot points (similar to Tritton.) They're the KOSS KSC-55 of the gaming headset world. They'll have positioning similar to the likes of SteelSeries, Logitech and Razer headsets at a fraction of the cost, but don't expect the bass to chatter your teeth or anything. I like to keep a pair of Gamecom 380's around for anyone that forgot their headset, because I won't feel bad if they get broke, and don't feel bad about making a friend listen to a tinny pile of crap like some Tritton's or Astro's.

Back