So what's the deal with Aperture?

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
I really wanna buy a Mac, mainly because of Apple Aperture. But now I've heard it doesn't work as well on the intel Macs than on the G5 ones?

Maybe I'll just build a A64 or Pentium D machine and wait till Lightroom comes out...

Aperture was deemed a failure. I read it had a lot of issues. If Apple disbanded and fire peeps from the Aperture team then something must be wrong. That and the sudden 200 price drop plus 200 in store credit for those who paid the the full price.

Aperture isn't dead, from what I've read. They just moved some new blood into the program.

I wanted a Mac solely for Aperture, but the 1.0 release was disappointing; not sure about Aperture 1.1. Apparently things have much improved (RAW processing for example).

I think I'll hold off until the final release of Lightroom, but I think the Windows version comes out (according to the FAQ on the Lightroom beta page) several months after the Mac version does, so it won't be anytime soon since I don't even know when the Mac version is supposed to come out.

Why would you want to use Aperture when Photoshop is the industry standard?

NulloModo said:
Why would you want to use Aperture when Photoshop is the industry standard?

Aperture is a different product than Photoshop. They do things differently. You can't compare the two.

If you want to compare Aperture to an Adobe offerign than compare it to Lightroom. These apps allows the user to organize mass amounts of photos.

You can read up on Aperture here
http://www.apple.com/aperture/

I believe you made that same comment in another thread.

synergyo1 said:
Aperture is a different product than Photoshop. They do things differently. You can't compare the two.

If you want to compare Aperture to an Adobe offerign than compare it to Lightroom. These apps allows the user to organize mass amounts of photos.

You can read up on Aperture here
http://www.apple.com/aperture/

I believe you made that same comment in another thread.

Oh, I must have gotten confused, I thought iPhoto was the organizational one and Aperture was the photo editing one.

I've spoken to the person who did the 'notorious' Ars Technica review of Aperture, and he says that 1.1 improved the app quite a bit, at least in terms of image handling. You can feel comfortable using it if you like the way its workflow is structured.

As for Intel performance? it's great - I've heard of reports that say a 2 GHz MacBook Pro is roughly as good as a 2 GHz Power Mac G5 - that's incredible performance considering that the Power Mac has the advantage of desktop graphics and storage parts.

Aperture isn't for everyone, but it's clearly oriented towards the way photographers tend to work.

NulloModo said:
Oh, I must have gotten confused, I thought iPhoto was the organizational one and Aperture was the photo editing one.
Aperture is iPhoto on steroids, complete with impotence and everything. :)

I use Aperture all the time, and so far it has been a dream for me. I have noticed very few downsides and with the MBP the program absolutely flies. Take this for what it's worth :-/

synergyo1 said:
Aperture was deemed a failure. I read it had a lot of issues. If Apple disbanded and fire peeps from the Aperture team then something must be wrong. That and the sudden 200 price drop plus 200 in store credit for those who paid the the full price.
That's basically what I heard on twit or one of those mac podcasts. Think is was mac geeks.

The nice thing about apeture tho is that the filters and all the image tools are core image enhanced so I think that all the calculations are sent to the gpu vs. cpu filter rendering with apps like ps.

Back