So... where is barcelona?

AMD stated that Barcelona will ship in August. Barcelona will launch on September 10th.

Ship to OEM probably. They need time to implement them into their plans and options so when customers are ready to buy, it's been tested relatively thoroughly.

Is the September launch for retail outlets?

It's launching on August 41st, right on schedule. :p

Like I said in the other thread, it will be amazing if it's not a paper launch. Azhar: this is a server chip launch, so no retail launch. You might be able to order systems on that date though.

Ship to OEM probably. They need time to implement them into their plans and options so when customers are ready to buy, it's been tested relatively thoroughly.

Is the September launch for retail outlets?

i think thats the plan? big players have got them already i think. but if that was true id have expected more leaked benchmarks.

i think thats the plan? big players have got them already i think. but if that was true id have expected more leaked benchmarks.

Who knows. It just seems to be the smart thing to do. OEM manufacturers wouldn't want people to order computers on the same day processors come into their assembly lines. It would be chaos.

August hasn't "went" yet. It's only the 24th so there's 7 more days to go. Besides, I think AMD has stated the launch data as early September.

Err... AMD has a gazillion "stated" launch dates...

The product sucks, admit to it and move on.

Err... AMD has a gazillion "stated" launch dates...

The product sucks, admit to it and move on.

admit to what? I have no idea how this product is going to perform and neither do you (unless you're breaking an NDA you might have). If it perform great I'll get it. If not, I'll go for Penryn. It doesn't matter to me one way or another, so there's nothing ot move on from.

You'll have to wait until 1H 2008 to get ones with higher clocks towards 3GHz though...

AMD needs 45nm and needs it yesterday if they hope to survive against Chipzilla. Intel is settling for nothing less than seeing AMD go bankrupt and putting them out of buisness with Penryn. We all need to hope that never happens.

TechReport.com said:
AMD still has no intention of releasing Barcelona chips clocked higher than 2GHz before the fourth quarter of this year. The company says the combination of low-power Barcelonas clocked at up to 1.9GHz and regular Barcelonas at up to 2GHz should take care of 94% of the market at launch, and that it will address the remaining 6% of shipments with Barcelonas running at "2.3GHz and above" in the fourth quarter.
Link

tech.monstersandcritics.com said:
AMD announced on Friday that it fully "expects its native quad-core processors to scale to higher frequencies in Q4 2007 in both standard and Special Edition versions.
Link

Data Storage Today said:
The company pointed out that Barcelona is "the world's first x86 CPU to integrate four processing cores on a single die of silicon," and will be available at launch in a range of frequencies up to 2 GHz, scaling to higher frequencies in the fourth quarter.
Link

X-bit Labs said:
Earlier Advanced Micro Devices announced that it would ship its first quad-core AMD Opteron processors code-named Barcelona with “standard” and lowered power consumption in August with product availability in September. However, those chips will only operate at clock-speeds of 2.0GHz and below.

However, Rick Bergman, who is senior vice president and general manager of graphics product group, said that all the demonstrated high-end products will be available before year end.

“You’ll see those products available for delivery this year,” Mr. Bergman said, emphasizing that the system used off-the-shelf cooling solutions, which means that the machine is not an ultra-overclocked piece of hardware, but something that resembles a PC ready for shipment.
Link

To follow up with the X-bit Labs story...

Trendy Gadget said:
The new AMD technology 3GHz quad core is stable now and ready to ship in Q4, the news is reported by uberpulse.com who joining AMD`s Analyst Date in California.
Link to Trendy Gadget and a link to the uberpulse.com story.

That proof enough for ya? :rolleyes:

Link
Link
Link
Link
To follow up with the X-bit Labs story...
Link to Trendy Gadget and a link to the uberpulse.com story.

That proof enough for ya? :rolleyes:
The links above do not say that AMD is launching an Opteron or Phenom 3GHz in "November, December, or even as late as Q1 2008". You and trendygadget.com are reading the uberpulse.com article wrong, and what AMD actually said at Tech Analyst day: Henri Richard is quoted saying Phenom is expected to launch in Q4, not that a 3GHz version is launching in Q4. LOL And it's very clear from the video on that page at 0:53 that AMD did not say the Phenom was launching at 3GHz. 3GHz was only a demo speed of a part that is not even on a roadmap yet.

"Proof" is something like AMD announcing, officially or unofficially, that it is launching an Opteron or Phenom 3GHz in "November, December, or even as late as Q1 2008". I'd even be satisfied if AMD had any quad core chips faster than 2.6GHz on its roadmap for Q1'08, which there isn't (for you too, mith):
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5078#Scene_1

So no, none of those links prove your claim and it's safe to assume you relied on a web site that didn't understand what Henri Richard said or what AMD showed on Tech Analyst Day.

I'm looking forward to the new architecture on a new process. This is pretty much do-or-die time for AMD. I just don't get the overall clamor for quad core. Yeah, multitasking has improved with parallel processing, but there are hardly enough applications that even make use of dual core, much less quad. Is it really worth that much a premium for the latest and greatest?

And I certainly know that computer enthusiasts won't make or break AMD. We're just a drop of condensation on a very cavernous corporate bucket. I'm sure the DOJ has far more to do with AMD's success, even if Barcelona and Phenom prove to be big winners.

However, what a sad state of affairs when we no longer understand (or appreciate) the market value of competition. And then, there's also this strange dichotomy of CPU manufacturers needing to benchmark 10 percent faster than the competition, just in order to survive another quarter. Or maybe we've just had it too good this last decade. Even though, I still think we had it even better with more than two major CPU manufacturers. But can you imagine there only being ONE? Technology then only be spurred by the bottom line on Wall Street, and the overall dominance of Intel.

Good luck for AMD. I'll be rooting for them; as I always root for David vs. Goliath.

I just don't get the overall clamor for quad core. Yeah, multitasking has improved with parallel processing, but there are hardly enough applications that even make use of dual core, much less quad. Is it really worth that much a premium for the latest and greatest?
The Barcelona chip launching in 15 days is a server chip, where quad core is very useful. Many server tasks are highly parallel, unlike most desktop applications.

It's also good for chip makers because it provides better margins than dual core, at least if you have higher end models available (see Intel's Yorkfield price list) and can yield profitable parts (cough). ;)

A big part of disappointment in Barcelona comes from things AMD did itself: hinting at a much earlier release date than possible (Hector Ruiz says Barcelona is 6 months late, but it's really not... both AMD and Intel usually release new cores on 4th or later respins/steppings), promises of higher launch frequencies and promises of much better performance (integer performance looks about equal to Clovertown, but FPU is superior... too bad HPC is only 2% of server sales). Thanks Henri and Hector! At least Henri is out the door next month and Hector should follow.

The Barcelona chip launching in 15 days is a server chip, where quad core is very useful. Many server tasks are highly parallel, unlike most desktop applications.

Oh no, I totally get that. No doubt parallel processing more than has its place in a server, and the corporate environment in general. I was talking about the Phenom and enthusiasts in forums like these. All that money and dissipated heat and empty watts, just doesn't seem worth it.

Oh no, I totally get that. No doubt parallel processing more than has its place in a server, and the corporate environment in general. I was talking about the Phenom and enthusiasts in forums like these. All that money and dissipated heat and empty watts, just doesn't seem worth it.

Supreme Commander, Crysis, Alan Wake, Unreal Engine 3, (soon to be) the Source engine, and many other titles are beginning to take advantage of multiple cores to the point that quad core is showing improvements. Also you do see massive improvements in video and audio encoding, which are certainly things that many enthusiasts do.

Otherwise you will be better served (in Q1 2008 I think) by Kuma, which is the desktop dual core derivative of Barcelona.

All that money and dissipated heat and empty watts, just doesn't seem worth it.
Yeah, most desktop users won't get too much out of quad core. I don't really buy that statement above though.

Quad core chips are getting cheaper (~$250 shipped for the LGA775 Xeon X3210) and the chips don't use much more power when the extra cores aren't being used. Rev G Intel quad cores idle around 20-24W, only ~10W higher than dual core. 45nm is going to cut that even more.

Like dual core, some people don't *need* quad core either. My single core systems work perfectly fine for most tasks, but I like the performance boost in multi-tasking and multi-threading on my dual core systems.

I know Intel has shruken their die to 45nm, but aren't both the Phenom and Barcelona 65nm? Heck the new X2 6400+ dual core on 90nm could practically serve time as a hot plate. :)

I'm glad I went to Intel for this build. What is AMD thinking?

They are not thinking,at least not properly.Henri leaving,now,gives them IMHO,a black eye that they really really could have done without at this point.It only makes things look really bad for Barcelona.Optics people. :( Its thier damned if they do and damned if they dont I guess.

When the man in charge of selling the damn things jumps an already,albiet slowly sinking ship... The optics on this are bad.They can release whatever pr spin they want,people are not stupid.Even if he was leaving to work with Greenpeace,
it looks alll wrong ! I pray Sammy comes in and buys em,and cleans house.

It only hurts the company.And now is the worst time for him to walk.

He is so confident in this product called Barcelona that he is going to abandon them in thier hour of need ? This stinks more then the BS 3Ghz crap.

I gotta tell ya, even if Intel wins this, Im going to buy as many amd chips as I can afford to keep AMD up. A single processor making reign by intel would be disasterous for the entire community.

I encourage you all to do the same.

"When the man in charge of selling the damn things jumps an already,albiet slowly sinking ship..."
Pure speculation.
Amd is doing better today than it ever has. And the guy in charge of "selling the damn things" leaving, can only be a good thing, since hes not done a good enough job for AMD anyways.

Hasn't this DOOMSDAY saying against AMD been going on since the k6-2 k6-3 days? In fact ever since I've been computing with my k6-2 350 on my FIC va-503+ board, Ive been having to listen to intel boys Doom saying AMD.
When Amd released their Athlon..... They couldn't possibly compeate with Intel and were going bankrupt, Then they released their second gen 462 chip....... weren't they supposed to be six feet under? Then they released their BARTON and started to smoke Intels ass, specially with the Mobiles. Still had to listen to the bullshit being talked about AMD going under. Then Amd started to smoke Intels ass with the Athlon 64 series of chips and opteron craze, they shoulda been bankrupt 10 years ago. Then INTEL releases their conroe, and for a SHORT period of time compared to AMD's ass whooping, they lead the pack in performance, and now on the verge of AMD releasing a new product, Suddenly we have to listen to the AMD going under bullshit ONCE AGAIN.

Why dont you take your intel processor and shove it, and just keep your damn mouth shut and see how the freakin thing performs before you start to talk crap about it. Didnt the Low clocked AMD chips beat the high clocked intel chips in the past? So what if a 2ghz quad core smokes A Q6800...... will amd still be going under like is has for the past 15 freakin years.

I gotta tell ya, even if Intel wins this, Im going to buy as many amd chips as I can afford to keep AMD up. A single processor making reign by intel would be disasterous for the entire community.

"When the man in charge of selling the damn things jumps an already,albiet slowly sinking ship..."
Pure speculation.
Amd is doing better today than it ever has. And the guy in charge of "selling the damn things" leaving, can only be a good thing, since hes not done a good enough job for AMD anyways.

Hasn't this DOOMSDAY saying against AMD been going on since the k6-2 k6-3 days? In fact ever since I've been computing with my k6-2 350 on my FIC va-503+ board, Ive been having to listen to intel boys Doom saying AMD.
When Amd released their Athlon..... They couldn't possibly compeate with Intel and were going bankrupt, Then they released their second gen 462 chip....... weren't they supposed to be six feet under? Then they released their BARTON and started to smoke Intels ass, specially with the Mobiles. Still had to listen to the bullshit being talked about AMD going under. Then Amd started to smoke Intels ass with the Athlon 64 series of chips and opteron craze, they shoulda been bankrupt 10 years ago. Then INTEL releases their conroe, and for a SHORT period of time compared to AMD's ass whooping, they lead the pack in performance, and now on the verge of AMD releasing a new product, Suddenly we have to listen to the AMD going under bullshit ONCE AGAIN.

Why dont you take your intel processor and shove it, and just keep your damn mouth shut and see how the freakin thing performs before you start to talk crap about it. Didnt the Low clocked AMD chips beat the high clocked intel chips in the past? So what if a 2ghz quad core smokes A Q6800...... will amd still be going under like is has for the past 15 freakin years.

LOL, I like this one.

Pure speculation.

are you 6 years old?

I'm very concerned that there's barely... 2 weeks (?) until the supposed availability of this processor and there are no reliable benchmarks out there at all.

It all looks rather grim. I hope they're able to scale the clockspeeds up kindof sharpish or failing that sell them at an extremely aggressive price.

Nah, I just wanted to see how people would react to an "outburst" post showing support for AMD...

I have an Intel E6600 on a DS3

Pure speculation.

Even if the fact you made this post just to stir up reactions, still, ain't that the double truth, Ruth...

I thought people were spewing forth prophecies of doom since the K5?

I admit that AMD's situation is very harrowing, but hopefully they will pull through and Barcelona, Agena, and Kuma will be "good enough" to fight 45nm "Penryn" until they are able to get to 45nm themselves in 1H 2008.

Controversy is good. I do admit the fact that this sort of Doom saying has been going on for a long time (not to the extent that I portrayed). Although Amd has been in quite a few do or die moments. I guess the real question is not "can they pull this off" but more "will they perform on par with their past achievements"
We know this chip is going to be fast, thats pretty obvious. Will it be fast enough to steal back their market share though. If you are anything like me, you are what I like to call a hardware yo-yo. Whatever is fast.... is fast at the moment, and for the sake of benchmarking scores, a brand name comes in dead last. Ive personally used up every single brand name to date.
Really... Im Excited to see whats going to come of this either way. If Amd can't pull this off though, what will happen to the community though. Locked processors? slow technology turnover. Rented computers? maybe a company like VIA can pick up the peices and move forward.

Barcelona is in my gaming pc. i got a engineering sample.

i'll post benchmarks later

:)

Back